KK2: Realistic?

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

LEGOFREAK wrote:Thanks Doc. That's exactly what I was talking about.
No problem. I'm all about paraphrasing.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
LEGOFREAK wrote:but the question I wanted to ask was - does anyone know for sure whether or not knights painted there armor on a regular basis?
Hehe, since nobody living now was alive back then the only knowledge we can achieve about this matter is from pictures. From contemporary pictures of the respective times that is, pictures from fantasy books don't help much.

And I can't remember ever having seen a painting or picture (miniatures in books, pictures on carpets) that shows knights with completely painted armour. The designs printed on the KK2 armours are "correct", though, as there have been ornaments on armours, but not completely green, red, blue, violet, etc. painted armours.

Bye
Jojo

This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Well, I have to say, although I have nothing of historical value to contribute here, I must to confess that this thread has taught me something about kk2 and knights in general.

Just wanted to give a "shout-out" to you all for the educational value of the thread... I'm starting to like their (jellybellys) armor plating a bit more now ~
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

ottoatm wrote:Just wanted to give a "shout-out" to you all for the educational value of the thread... I'm starting to like their (jellybellys) armor plating a bit more now ~
That's funny, I'm likeing them worse. :D I know, KKII is not supposed to be historically accurate. Ok. But if you want to make Power Ranger knights, why try to call them castle.

I am seeing a little bit of use for the armors because of this thread, though. Maybe as the gaudy but shallow court fop. ;)

D-Man
jwcbigdog
Apprentice

Post by jwcbigdog »

I know, KKII is not supposed to be historically accurate. Ok. But if you want to make Power Ranger knights, why try to call them castle.
My point exactly. I don't expect historical perfection, but don't try to market KK2 as castle, because it is simply not. If you want to act as though something is remotely historical, at least make some serious attempts to get your facts right.

Call me old fashioned and a purist, but I think that when dealing with historical things, people should try their best to make it accurate.
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

I think the armor(as well as the castle designs) of the new KK2 wave is more realistic than the first. They're mixing up armor colors a bit, so it's not one solid color, plus painting their heraldic symbols on the plate armor. Some Shadow Knights have chrome armor; the others are useful as generic soldiers. The shields are triangle and oval now, and we see an end of the yellow and red swords. I think it is a lot more realistic.
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
The Brick Lord
Villein

Unrealistic elements of KK2

Post by The Brick Lord »

You're right about the painted-armor thing Legofreak but the swords? It looks like it should be at KB Toys in a box that says Super !KNIGHT SWORD! or something. :lol:
The Brick Lord
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Re: KK2: Realistic?

Post by J_MAN »

I never thought of mixing-and-matching with my KK2 knights. That's a great idea!
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I'd think it unlikely we could say an amount, if much armour was ever painted in the medieval. We have a few remaining examples around the world but from art and text we have little proof of it. That said the painted armour that remains looks nothing at all like the KK2 knights.

So we can infer it was done but not a percentage or how frequently it was done. My guess it it was not the most common form of armour protection from the examples we have, oil was easy to come by if you could afford armour.

Not sure of the article you have read but anyone taking such a strong stance would be new to me and I spend all day everyday studying history, in particularly the medieval period and arms and armour, have all the related degrees and such. If you could link me I’d love to read it. Sounds like a pop history article or about a specific area, region, time, etc.

Not apart from paint there are a few other techs for color change. You have varnishing, heat from the hot working of the armour and later oils being heated on the metal. There are more but these come to mind. So there are a few other ways to change color of armour.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
theboywarrior
Steward

Post by theboywarrior »

exept for the good knights in Battle at the Pass, I think that very few KK2 knights are realistic. But, then again they are part of a fantasy theme... :D
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen2.bmp[/img]