How are weapons made?

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Dragon Master
Merchant

How are weapons made?

Post by Dragon Master »

How did they make weapons in the dark and middle ages?

For swords I've heard the term "folded steel" what does that mean? Also in LOTR I saw the moten medal being poured into molds for mass production for the Urakia (sp) army. How are swords made.

Also if you have time...

how are sheidls, crossbows, helmets and armor, and axes made.

Sorry, I've always wanted to know :wink:

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
caesar2164
Villein

Weapons Manufacture

Post by caesar2164 »

Go to:

http://www.armourarchive.com

just hang around and read...
Now where did I put that Brick separator?

Caesar2164

My Homepage:
www.geocities.com/caesar2164/index.html
Jojo
Master

Re: Weapons Manufacture

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Hey, cool site, thanks!
You should always have two of them in your pockets. Never leave your home without two Brick Seoarators with you! Never!

Bye
Jojo

LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

"Now where did I put that Brick separator? "

look under the bed.
caesar2164
Villein

Post by caesar2164 »

:D

Caesar2164

My Homepage:
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Thanks for the link Caesar. I appriciate it.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
caesar2164
Villein

Link

Post by caesar2164 »

No problem.
As you may have seen I used to post there a little.

Caesar2164

My Homepage:
mrkovach
Apprentice

Post by mrkovach »

sp=Uruk-hai

(Tolkien Nerd)

Kirk

Last edited by mrkovach on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
^You should be more concerned with what's written above^
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Folding is basically folding the iron over onto and back into itself while hot. Think of clay almost. The more you do this the imperfections in the metal get forced out. With many weapons this is not as important as they are not under such high stresses and requirements as swords. Pouring metal like this, called cast iron, is not good for weapons as it is brittle. I think you should look into a blade smithing book as you will likely get more out of it than if I explain all the weapons manufacture.

Crossbows are really just a bow with a wood arm in place of the archers arm. The can have bows from simple selfbows to composite bows (horn, sinews and perhaps wood) and steel.

Shields are made in various ways. We have little remaining from the medieval period but looks like planked and butted wood with some cover on it of parchment or leather. Some appear to have had edging on them, likely raw hide.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
melonkernel
Apprentice

Post by melonkernel »

While many believe that folding makes the blades "sharper", it is not true. It is as Heir of Black Falcon said to remove impurities in "bad" steel and to make it even. If you would use industrial steel of today, that would be unnecessary. However. It was also used for decoration. If you have two slightly different steels, and fold them together over and over again, it will create a pattern when you put the blade in acid id the two metals have different ways of reacting with it (color change). The result is sometimes referred to as Damascus steel. Some Wiking swords were made that way to make them look beautiful.

This is a nice forum regarding forging.
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/

However. almost every young man who wants to learn how to forge, will quickly try to make a sword blade (one of the hardest skills in forging) and find it too difficult (which it is) and quit.
Sword were made by several persons. Usually they had pre-shaped sword like pieces of steel, that the blademasters made into blades, the someone else polished them (who was an expert at that) and others made the handle and others the scabbards. It was a task that many experts were involved in.
I started forging because i love swords. Of course i tried to make blade almost the first time (with regular iron, not hardenable steel, which is good for practicing, since steel is more expencive). They do look very orkish, :) and ugly.
But i went on a knife forging course and made a very nice knife blade. the instructor hade made swords as well, and said it was basically the same technique, but in a larger scale.

For making knifes, we took a suitable piece of steel, that was wide and thick and long enough to start with. Shaped it into a knife shape, staring to draw out the tang where the handle will be. After the forgin, i had the shape of a knife, but was blunt. then we filed the edges so that it had the exact shape it should have, including the edge. Then we hardened it. Heated it up to a high temperature in the forge and cooled it rapidly in oil. this way the grain structure remains as it is in the heated state, and it makes the blade very hard but brittle. Then you need to reverse this process little to make it slightly more durable. This is called annealing. you heat it up to around 300 degrees in an oven and have it there for a while, then let it cool slowly. After that, it was polished on a grinding stone. and the edge became very sharp.
AFOL, Programmer etc.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/melonkernel]My Flickr page[/url]
[url=http://bskog.com/category/lego/]Lego Blog[/url]: [url=http://bskog.com/lego-instructions/]Lego Instructions[/url].
outcast
Apprentice

Post by outcast »

Man, Melonkernel you have an awesome hobby.

Anyway, bows were made in a variety of methods, they could be carefully shaped from one piece of wood, they could be made from hundreds of different strips of wood all sealed together (this takes a long time, usually around a year), etc, etc...

Crossbows are made out of three parts, the stock (wooden arm), the arms or limbs (metal or wood) and the string (sinew).

There are many different methods of making shields and I know one of them (this is used for round bucklers (oh, look it up!)), taking toughened wood and placing a metal cover over the top.

As far as I can tell, axes were made by taking a lump of metal and shaving away till its axe-head shaped, then attached to a handle, leaving a heavy unco-ordinated chopping device used to cut down trees and occasionally orcs.
For Empire is no more, and now the Lion & Wolf shall cease.
Danielas
Steward

Re:

Post by Danielas »

melonkernel wrote:While many believe that folding makes the blades "sharper", it is not true. It is as Heir of Black Falcon said to remove impurities in "bad" steel and to make it even. If you would use industrial steel of today, that would be unnecessary. However. It was also used for decoration. If you have two slightly different steels, and fold them together over and over again, it will create a pattern when you put the blade in acid id the two metals have different ways of reacting with it (color change). The result is sometimes referred to as Damascus steel. Some Wiking swords were made that way to make them look beautiful.

This is a nice forum regarding forging.
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/

However. almost every young man who wants to learn how to forge, will quickly try to make a sword blade (one of the hardest skills in forging) and find it too difficult (which it is) and quit.
Sword were made by several persons. Usually they had pre-shaped sword like pieces of steel, that the blademasters made into blades, the someone else polished them (who was an expert at that) and others made the handle and others the scabbards. It was a task that many experts were involved in.
I started forging because i love swords. Of course i tried to make blade almost the first time (with regular iron, not hardenable steel, which is good for practicing, since steel is more expencive). They do look very orkish, :) and ugly.
But i went on a knife forging course and made a very nice knife blade. the instructor hade made swords as well, and said it was basically the same technique, but in a larger scale.

For making knifes, we took a suitable piece of steel, that was wide and thick and long enough to start with. Shaped it into a knife shape, staring to draw out the tang where the handle will be. After the forgin, i had the shape of a knife, but was blunt. then we filed the edges so that it had the exact shape it should have, including the edge. Then we hardened it. Heated it up to a high temperature in the forge and cooled it rapidly in oil. this way the grain structure remains as it is in the heated state, and it makes the blade very hard but brittle. Then you need to reverse this process little to make it slightly more durable. This is called annealing. you heat it up to around 300 degrees in an oven and have it there for a while, then let it cool slowly. After that, it was polished on a grinding stone. and the edge became very sharp.
YOU MAKE SWORDS! COOL!! Do you sell them?
Great informational :D !
God Bless. Danielas

Procrastinators Unite!!!!

(tomorrow)

Proud soldier of Classic-Castle. As in, I fight against the Legion of the Aggie.
Seikfreid
Journeyman

Re: How are weapons made?

Post by Seikfreid »

Chainmail (or maille) is my specialty. The set of instructions I used to learn have since disappeared from the internet, but this http://www.chainmailbasket.com/gallerie ... D=5&PAGE=1 may help if you're interested.