Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

Do you have a medieval hero?

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.

Re: Do you have a medieval hero?

Postby Sir Erathor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:55 am

mpoh98 wrote:...archery is my thing...

You're an archer then, are you? I prefer sword fighting, that's partially why most of my (fictional) heroes used one. robin Hood is a bit of an exception ;)
For the Glory of Loreos!
Flickr|MOCpages|The Brick Tavern
Image Image
User avatar
Sir Erathor
Landlord
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Glorious Loreos

Re: Do you have a medieval hero?

Postby jrbaker » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:15 pm

I really like Alcuin of York, a scholar and clergyman in Charlemagne's court. A friend, instructor, and adviser to Charles, he helped to establish a strong educational and monastic tradition with the Franks (he was Anglo-Saxon). He also is quoted as telling Charlemagne that the massacre of Verden was wrong and that forced conversions among the Saxons would actually drive them further away.
jrbaker
Serf
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:51 am

Re: Do you have a medieval hero?

Postby Sir Erathor » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:13 pm

jrbaker wrote:I really like Alcuin of York, a scholar and clergyman in Charlemagne's court. A friend, instructor, and adviser to Charles, he helped to establish a strong educational and monastic tradition with the Franks (he was Anglo-Saxon). He also is quoted as telling Charlemagne that the massacre of Verden was wrong and that forced conversions among the Saxons would actually drive them further away.

Yeah, a real hero he was. Charlemagne and his court were always full of interesting stories ;)
For the Glory of Loreos!
Flickr|MOCpages|The Brick Tavern
Image Image
User avatar
Sir Erathor
Landlord
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Glorious Loreos

Re: Do you have a medieval hero?

Postby ludzik » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:53 pm

As a kid I remember reading a short story about Zawisza Czarny. He was a real knight, a diplomat and a true leader (historical accounts say that he refused to leave his troops covering retreat of the main forces - he is said to have refused king's request to retreat with main forces leaving his bannerman behind).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zawisza_Czarny
Image
User avatar
ludzik
Bailiff
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:01 pm

Re: Do you have a medieval hero?

Postby Sir Valiant » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:40 pm

My Medieval hero is Myles Falworth from the book Men of Iron, by Howard Pyle.
Seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_of_Iron

It's set in the 15th century and describes young Myles transition from boyhood to manhood and ultimately knighthood. The ultimate goal of his knighthood is to fight for his father's honour in a climactic battle at the end of the book. It including his trials and success, friends and enemies, adventures and even a little bit of romance.
Its an excellent read, (I've read it several times)and I highly recommend it. :)

Sir Valiant~
"Soli Deo Gloria"
Sir Valiant~ ----------Flickr
User avatar
Sir Valiant
Archer
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:46 am
Location: Leightondrake

Re: Do you have a medieval hero?

Postby Sir Erathor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:13 am

ludzik wrote:...he is said to have refused king's request to retreat with main forces leaving his bannerman behind).

Brave guy! He's very interesting!

Sir Valiant wrote:My Medieval hero is Myles Falworth from the book Men of Iron, by Howard Pyle.

I thought you said 'Mark of Falworth' at first then!
That's a book I've heard of a lot before, but have never read. I really should read it!
For the Glory of Loreos!
Flickr|MOCpages|The Brick Tavern
Image Image
User avatar
Sir Erathor
Landlord
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Glorious Loreos

Re: Do you have a medieval hero?

Postby New Danarchy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:51 pm

Not really a hero of mine as such, but quite a character and fun to read about was John I of Brabant.
In his days he was renowned for being courageous, chivalrous and courteous and he won a great victory at Worringen in 1288.
He was obsessed with tournaments (most he survived and won, though the last would claim his life) and women (one of them being the reason to enter the last fatal tournament).
It's just good fun to read about him. But besides him I don't really really have medieval heroes.

If we include Lotr I'd say Elrond in the books and Theoden in the films.
New Danarchy
Villein
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: Do you have a medieval hero?

Postby Sir Erathor » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:03 am

New Danarchy wrote:Not really a hero of mine as such, but quite a character and fun to read about was John I of Brabant.

His life was definitely very interesting! Elrond and Théoden are great characters too :)
For the Glory of Loreos!
Flickr|MOCpages|The Brick Tavern
Image Image
User avatar
Sir Erathor
Landlord
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Glorious Loreos

Re: Do you have a medieval hero?

Postby ForestFriend » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:31 pm

My favourite fantasy hero would be the female healer, Kira of the Kira Chronicles trilogy . Belonging to a small clan of forest dwellers called Treemen , her journey is truely heroic. I think Lenfald folk in particular would enjoy her story. My favourite medieval hero is Robin Hood. But not from Sherwood Forest in England. This 'Robin Hood' is a young welsh Prince seeking in 1093 to regain his small border Welsh principality from invading Normans. Again, this trilogy of Hood, Scarlett and Tuck takes the reader on a long perilous journey of heroic welsh resistance to the powerful Normans. The Welsh war bow is his major weapon and his small guerilla band of loyal comrades take on the Normans in a life and death struggle. Ambush and cunning mean these folk are Outlaws at heart. :lol: Read this series if you can . :)
Daffyd ap Owen
aim small miss small , live in the moment... Outlaws
[ Wolf Clan]
User avatar
ForestFriend
Laborer
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:39 am
Location: Lightly walking the Outlaw song lines and secret trails of Roawia .

Re: Do you have a medieval hero?

Postby Sir Erathor » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:36 pm

ForestFriend wrote:The Welsh war bow...

Deadly, extremely deadly. One pierced a knight's armour, went through his leg, through the horses saddle and into the horse, with the tip showing on the other side. Those heroes sound very cool, I'll look them up :)
For the Glory of Loreos!
Flickr|MOCpages|The Brick Tavern
Image Image
User avatar
Sir Erathor
Landlord
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Glorious Loreos

Re: Do you have a medieval hero?

Postby GyustSil » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:06 pm

This is another very intersting thread I'm only reading now.
I think my favorite fictional "hero" is Tyrion Lannister, from GoT/A Song of Ice and Fire. He has the right doses of goodness and badness, just like real people.
From real history, I really like Saladin, for he was a noble warrior and a great leader. I also like Willam Wallace.
Image
Image
"Dulce, et decorum est pro patria mori" Quintus Horatius Flaccus
For the Great Lenfald!
User avatar
GyustSil
Laborer
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Re: Do you have a medieval hero?

Postby Sir Erathor » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:04 am

GyustSil wrote:This is another very intersting thread I'm only reading now.
I think my favorite fictional "hero" is Tyrion Lannister, from GoT/A Song of Ice and Fire. He has the right doses of goodness and badness, just like real people.
From real history, I really like Saladin, for he was a noble warrior and a great leader. I also like Willam Wallace.

Lol, I've heard a lot about Tyrion.... :o
Saladin was some leader, as was Wallace, actually. I love the film Braveheart! :D
For the Glory of Loreos!
Flickr|MOCpages|The Brick Tavern
Image Image
User avatar
Sir Erathor
Landlord
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Glorious Loreos

Re: Do you have a medieval hero?

Postby GyustSil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:25 am

Sir Erathor wrote:
GyustSil wrote:This is another very intersting thread I'm only reading now.
I think my favorite fictional "hero" is Tyrion Lannister, from GoT/A Song of Ice and Fire. He has the right doses of goodness and badness, just like real people.
From real history, I really like Saladin, for he was a noble warrior and a great leader. I also like Willam Wallace.

Lol, I've heard a lot about Tyrion.... :o
Saladin was some leader, as was Wallace, actually. I love the film Braveheart! :D

I'ts really a great film. Some historical inaccuracies, but overall it's a very good movie :)
Image
Image
"Dulce, et decorum est pro patria mori" Quintus Horatius Flaccus
For the Great Lenfald!
User avatar
GyustSil
Laborer
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Re: Do you have a medieval hero?

Postby Armored Archer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:31 am

Mine are probably Erik Thorvaldsson, A.K.A.: Erik the Red, and his son Leif Erikson. Although Erik had a rather checkered past, he did end up founding the first Norse settlement in Greenland. Leif then ended up founding Vinland, the earliest known European settlement in the Western Hemisphere, sometime in the 1120's. He also introduced Christianity in the Western Hemisphere. Further more, a great uncle of theirs, Naddodd, was credited with the discovery of Iceland and was one of the first settlers of the Faroe Islands. I guess that I'm relatively biased as my family tree can be traced back to these men.
An archer is only as reliable as the string on his bow.
User avatar
Armored Archer
Villein
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:57 pm
Location: USA

Re: Do you have a medieval hero?

Postby Sir Erathor » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:33 pm

Armored Archer wrote:Mine are probably Erik Thorvaldsson, A.K.A.: Erik the Red, and his son Leif Erikson. Although Erik had a rather checkered past, he did end up founding the first Norse settlement in Greenland. Leif then ended up founding Vinland, the earliest known European settlement in the Western Hemisphere, sometime in the 1120's. He also introduced Christianity in the Western Hemisphere. Further more, a great uncle of theirs, Naddodd, was credited with the discovery of Iceland and was one of the first settlers of the Faroe Islands. I guess that I'm relatively biased as my family tree can be traced back to these men.

Wow, they're you're ancestors! :D
They're very interesting, fantastic characters, I like your decision!
For the Glory of Loreos!
Flickr|MOCpages|The Brick Tavern
Image Image
User avatar
Sir Erathor
Landlord
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Glorious Loreos

PreviousNext

Return to Medieval Life

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests