Real Castle For Sale

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
jwcbigdog
Apprentice

Post by jwcbigdog »

Thanks Admins for unlocking this, we promise to be good. Have any of our European members seen something like this in their countries. I wonder how often a castle goes up for sale?
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

jwcbigdog wrote:Thanks Admins for unlocking this, we promise to be good.
I do not promise anything....
Have any of our European members seen something like this in their countries. I wonder how often a castle goes up for sale?
In Germany most castles that are not in the hand of the respective noble familiy anymore are owned by some kind of foundation or by the state. Castles and any cultural heritage is under monumental protection. So whoever owns a castle is obliged to conserve this monument, and who wants to buy a castle or palace (in eastern Germany many old palaces are sold to individuals) has to come up with detailed plans how they want to conserve it and what kind of use of the specific building they plan to make before they get the keys of the building. And monument protection is _expensive_ even if the building is sold to you for a symbolic price of €1.-

Bye
Jojo

LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

no more what has its gots in its pocketsesss?

Ok then. :D

I wonder about the possiblity of actually building a castle?
Sure it would be expensive to buy one and maintain it for monumentals sake, but what about a build your own?

I saw that there are places where you can download the architectural plans for a castle, but it really looked more like a palace and not what I would consider a castle.

Shoot - I cant even talk my wife into letting me build a single stone tower... and you HAVE to have one of those in case of door to door salespeople!

:lol:

(note most of this is actually on topic)
jwcbigdog
Apprentice

Post by jwcbigdog »

I would assume that you could build whatever you want as long as you make it up to code. There are no rules that state "Building must represent current building trends" on the books in most places I would think. As long as you are following the rules for the respective cities, I would think you could build a castle wherever you want. If CC ever needed a headquarters, that may be a great idea!!