Classic-Castle.com

The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

What is this weapon?

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.

What is this weapon?

Postby jwcbigdog » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:09 pm

I just watched the movie "The Messenger" about Joan of Arc the other day (good movie, especially for this crowd!) During the seige of Orleans, there was a weapon there that I would like to figure out the name of. The men on the walls would roll what looked like cannon balls down these tubes and they would come out at the bottom of these tubes and into the crowd of invaders at the base of the walls. I thought that they called it a cannon, but that just didn't make sense. Any one know the official name? I would love to incorporate it into my castle.
jwcbigdog
Apprentice

Postby doctorsparkles » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:04 pm

Something like this?
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Jojo/ ... oecher.jpg
(From Jojo's gallery)

The LEGO Castle Tech Page found at http://www.jcatena.net/lego/tech/ , offers this definition:
Machicoulis. Holes in an allure which projects further than the curtain wall. These were used to attack enemies at the base of the wall. As a feature of the stonework of battlements, these replaced part of the purpose of hoardings. Also called machicolations. See also hoarding.

I've also heard the term 'murder holes,' but I think those might be holes in the floor to drop stones and oil on attackers once they've breached the gate. I couldn't say for sure though.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Postby TheOrk » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:10 pm

I checked in an encyclopedia.
Everything DoctorSparkles said is true.
So i have nothing to say. Except that.

and that.
TheOrk
Master

Postby jwcbigdog » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:01 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, but this seemed far more sophisticated than murder holes.

My understanding of a murder hole was that it hung out over the curtain wall and you could drop things directly onto invaders. This "weapon" was further back on the wall and shot the balls out from the bottom of the wall straight into the invaders, like the "tube" had a 90 degree elbow in it somewhere.

Any other thoughts?
jwcbigdog
Apprentice

Postby Jojo » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:06 pm

Hello!

Something like this?
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/2253

In German we call it "Kugelbahn". I think the English equivalent is "Rolling Balls".

Bye
Jojo

Jojo
Master

Postby jwcbigdog » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:40 pm

Jojo, you're the man!!

That's the concept of the thing, but is that really the name of the apparatus. It seems like the castle version should have a far more menacing name, like "Crushing Balls of Death" or something, not just "Rolling Balls." That's kinda boring for something capable of so much damage.

Thanks everyone!!
jwcbigdog
Apprentice

Return to Medieval Life