Favorite Castle movie???

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Smacking forehead and saying, "D'oh!" How could I forget, especially since the star has the same first name as me? One of the most quotable of movies allegedly set in the middle ages:

"Give me some sugar, baby!"

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

"Shop smart, shop S-Mart."

"Come get some."

"Well, hellllllllo Mister Fancy Pants!"

"...and Jack just left town."

Army of Darkness! Hail to the king, baby. 8)
Last edited by TwoTonic Knight on Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

doctorsparkles wrote: Ah, the story of a boy and his magical pig... The Black Cauldron was terrible. I bought it a while back because a friend of mine told me that Tim Burton did some work on it. Not only was the movie pretty much unwatchable, but Tim Burton is no-where to be found in the credits (nor is the film anywhere to be found in his filmography).
From what I remember, Tim Burton did some initial work on The Black Culdron, but the animation department at Disney didn't like the direction the project was going and there was a mutual parting of ways.

And speaking of awful medieval movies; who can forget the worst of them all: Black Knight! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265087/?fr ... ft=20;fm=1
Can you believe that somebody actually gave this one the green light! Now that I think about it, the historical liberties taken in Braveheart don't seem so bad after all.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Blueandwhite wrote:
doctorsparkles wrote: Ah, the story of a boy and his magical pig... The Black Cauldron was terrible. I bought it a while back because a friend of mine told me that Tim Burton did some work on it. Not only was the movie pretty much unwatchable, but Tim Burton is no-where to be found in the credits (nor is the film anywhere to be found in his filmography).
From what I remember, Tim Burton did some initial work on The Black Culdron, but the animation department at Disney didn't like the direction the project was going and there was a mutual parting of ways.

And speaking of awful medieval movies; who can forget the worst of them all: Black Knight! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265087/?fr ... ft=20;fm=1
Can you believe that somebody actually gave this one the green light! Now that I think about it, the historical liberties taken in Braveheart don't seem so bad after all.
Arrrrrrrrghhhhhhh!!!!!!!1!! My eyes my beautiful eyes :shock:
CAI
Journeyman

Post by CAI »

In Robin Hood Prince of Thieves...

At the beginning where Robin visits his home, and finds it ruined with his father dead inside.

Is this Castle real? It looked real. I don't know it if would be considered a castle..maybe a Tower/Keep .

Anyway, i've tried looking for information on it, but since i have no name or origin, it's hard.

Anyone one know any info on it? From what i remember, it could be a nice moc...
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Cyin]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

Is this Castle real? It looked real.
Yes I believe it is real.
Here's all the filming locations for the movie (it narrows your search down to about 2 castles)........

Alnwick Castle, Alnwick, Northumberland, England, UK
*This might be the castle your looking for.

Aysgarth Falls, North Yorkshire, England, UK
(Where Robin fights Little John)

Burnham Beeches, Buckinghamshire, England, UK

Calvados, France

Carcassonne, Aude, France

England, UK

France

Hadrian's Wall, Northumberland, England, UK

Hardraw Force, North Yorkshire, England, UK
(Where Marion sees Robin swimming)

Hulne Park, Northumberland, England, UK

Hulne Priory, Northumberland, England, UK

Metz, Moselle, France

Old Wardour Castle, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England, UK
*This could also be the location.

Shepperton Studios, Shepperton, Surrey, England, UK
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
castlebrickman
Apprentice

braveheart

Post by castlebrickman »

BRAVEHEART or i will squash you like a worm.

and a knigts tale.
Visit my site www.piratebricks.com
The LEGO Pirate Resource!!!
CAI
Journeyman

Post by CAI »

Jacob C. wrote:
Is this Castle real? It looked real.
Yes I believe it is real.
Here's all the filming locations for the movie (it narrows your search down to about 2 castles)........

Alnwick Castle, Alnwick, Northumberland, England, UK
*This might be the castle your looking for.

Aysgarth Falls, North Yorkshire, England, UK
(Where Robin fights Little John)

Burnham Beeches, Buckinghamshire, England, UK

Calvados, France

Carcassonne, Aude, France

England, UK

France

Hadrian's Wall, Northumberland, England, UK

Hardraw Force, North Yorkshire, England, UK
(Where Marion sees Robin swimming)

Hulne Park, Northumberland, England, UK

Hulne Priory, Northumberland, England, UK

Metz, Moselle, France

Old Wardour Castle, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England, UK
*This could also be the location.

Shepperton Studios, Shepperton, Surrey, England, UK

Thanks dude, i checked out the locations...Old Wardour Castle is the one i'm speaking of..i can tell by the front.

http://www.castlexplorer.co.uk/england/ ... ardour.php
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Cyin]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Stone Goblin
Bailiff

Post by Stone Goblin »

I went threw everybody's list yet I didn't see what I consider the best samurai movie of all time. :D
Seven Samurai(1954) a great film that everybody should see.

Also missing
  • Jason and the Argonauts(1963)
    Jason and the Argonauts(2000 tv miniseries)
    All the Zatoichi movies( aka The Blind Samurai 1962-1989 w/Shintarô Katsu as main character 25 films, 2003 w/Takeshi Kitano as main character 1 film)
    Hidden Fortress(1958)
    Sinbad(too many to list)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon(2000)
    Spartacus(1960)
    Legend(1985)
    The 300 Spartans(1962)
    and some more.
Sure most of these are premedieval but to me "Castle" means medieval/earlier history(except stoneage and earlier, aka Cavemen age)/fantasy-myth/fuedal Japan.

P.S.
I have on my ITunes playlist and love the "Battle on the Ice" song by Prokofiev from Alexander Nevesky(1938) movie, even though I've never seen the movie.
Also I'm making a huge list of movies(includes tv miniseries, maybe a few tv series) that are castle, premedieval, fantasy, fuedal Japan and whatever fits closly to these genres. When we have most of the films covered, I then can probably decide my top ten.
My MOCpages:[url]http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/2746[/url]

Our store(Peppermint Pig and I)
LibertyBRICK:[url]http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Stone_Goblin[/url]
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

I would say Search for the Holy Grail but I have never had the luck to see it from beginning to end.

Else I would actually say Conan. I have only seen the first one but I liked the pagan atmosphere and the theme was nice & retro!

God, how retro!
(Swedish Joke)
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

This old thread revived again? I gotta go into my movie review mode....
Stone Goblin wrote:I went threw everybody's list yet I didn't see what I consider the best samurai movie of all time. :D
Seven Samurai(1954) a great film that everybody should see.
Clearly you didn't go through everyone's list because if you look at the third message in this thread you'll see that I mention it. My usual comments to the films you list so the Great Unwashed know what they are in for....

Jason and the Argonauts(1963): Greek myth is not something I define as "Castles", but the classic Harryhausen stop-motion effects that inspired many of today's special effects artists (the scene that is always singled out: the skeleton attack). You must see this film. You must see Kim Novak back when busts were not special effects. I saw this three times in the theaters when it came out (ahhhhhhh, double features for 35 cent matinees in the summers). Got my first LEGO that summer.

Jason and the Argonauts(2000 tv miniseries) Dreadful awful actor as Jason. Who did he (self-censored) to get this part? Avoid this stinker at all costs.

Hidden Fortress(1958): I taped this one on high quality tape set at best recording level - which meant I was taping a movie just over two hours with only two hours of tape. It was YEARS before I finally got to see the ending. Kurosawa and Mifune - great stuff.

Sinbad: You gotta commit to some specific verions.
The Seventh Voyage of Sindbad: Harryhausen's first color effects, I think? Skeleton (prelude to Jason and the Argonauts massive seven skeleton scene), Rocs, Cyclops, Dragons. Cool effects from the master. Kerwin Matthews as Sinbad.
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad: Harryhausen. Better actor as Sinbad (John Phillip Law), the luscious Caroline Munro as the love interest, Dr. Who (Tom Baker) as the slimey bad guy (well played). Incredible six-armed Kali statue fight highlights the effects.
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger: Patrick Wayne (John Wayne's son) lamely plays Sinbad since the Golden Voyage guy was unavailble. Jane Seymour, yum, Taryn Power (Tyrone's daughter...grand-daughter?) gets higher billing than Jane for some reason. The movie just isn't as good as the preceeding one.
Captain Sinbad: Guy Williams (Disney's TV Zorro) as Sinbad. I think this was a spaghetti fantasy with the usual American stars to make it marketable. Cheesier than the Harryhausen movies, but actually a watchable adventure flick from the time period.
Sinbad the Sailor (1947 version): Douglas Fairbanks Jr, hamming it up as Sinbad. Anthony Quinn playing his usual heavy in that time period, Maureen O'Hara as the feisty love interest, Walter Slezak in his usual sleazy supporting role. This is an adventure movie, not a special effects adventure movie, in the grand old Hollywood style.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon(2000): Tragedy makes fantasy respectable (this, Hero, Lord of the Rings). Wonderfully acted (even the english language version, since the stars do their own voices), exciting action. Needs a little bit of editing, but a great story.

Spartacus(1960): I'm not an animal! The Good Guys always seem to use surprise fire weapons on the battlefield with Hollywood, but you never, ever see one of the few real firey battlefield weapons (Flaming Pigs - pig squeals frighten elephants, so how do you get pigs to squeal reliably? Yes, set them on fire!). Ahem, sorry for the diatribe. Stanly Kubrick somewhat under control as director since this was Kirk Douglas producing (though I think the Kubrick-n-Kirk Paths of Glory was better). Anyway, classic big-budget action period piece.

Legend(1985): Billy Barty, Tom Cruise, and Tim Curry? Mix in Ridley Scott as director and you get over-art-directed scenes and a strange surrealistic story. Only for the dedicated.

The 300 Spartans(1962): What happened to the alleged "Gates of Fire" version? Anyway, classic rendition of the Spartans actually getting off their butts and doing enough to get all the credit for delaying the massive Persian army at the pass of Thermopylae. Return home with your shield or on it!

Conan The Barbarian: Thankfully rescued from Dino De Lauentis' clutches by John Milius' directing. Ever notice that the Governor of California (what were the voters thinking) even screams with an Austrian accent? Has its moments.

Conan The Destroyer: Or, as I call it, Conan the Barbican-Opener. Some Really Awful Casting and no John Milius to save the situation. Carlo Rambaldi machines for special effects. Don't even ask me to comment on the even worse Red Sonja....
Last edited by TwoTonic Knight on Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stone Goblin
Bailiff

Post by Stone Goblin »

Two Tonic Knight wrote
Clearly you didn't go through everyone's list because if you look at the third message in this thread you'll see that I mention it. My usual comments to the films you list so the Great Unwashed know what they are in for....
Sorry about that. My eyes must be betraying me. :oops:
Ya, a lot of these movies/tv mini series should never be mentioned, yet alone watched.
I just want make sure I have all the stuff shown, so I can make a movie rental list(good movies only) and also post my ten favorite list. I think it's good to show the stuff to avoid.
Sinbad: You gotta commit to some specific verions.
I will have most of the Sinbad movies listed when I finish the list. It was just that post and this post I wasn't going to list them.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon(2000): Tragedy makes fantasy respectable (this, Hero, Lord of the Rings). Wonderfully acted (even the english language version, since the stars do their own voices), exciting action. Needs a little bit of editing, but a great story.
I thought this movie was based on a legend. But you do have people gliding threw the air like leaves. So maybe it's legend/fantasy.:roll:

So far I have 126 movies listed on a text document.
My MOCpages:[url]http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/2746[/url]

Our store(Peppermint Pig and I)
LibertyBRICK:[url]http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Stone_Goblin[/url]
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

doctorsparkles wrote:The 13th Warrior - I actually probably like the book better.
I gotta ask ... Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton or the Anglo-Saxon poem Beowulf? 8)

I actually kinda liked that one, as well as a couple others (Costner's Robin Hood, Braveheart) that have gotten, shall we say, lackluster support? Also thought I'd mention The Princess Bride and Timeline, as they've only been slightly mentioned.

Speaking of Timeline, would anybody here consider the Highlander movies deserving of discussion? I realize they push the boundary of a "castle" movie a tad (more like rushes over it and runs screaming in the opposite direction), but the two that I've seen (Highlander and Highlander:Endgame) both have flashback sequences to at least the 1600's. I liked them, too. :P
Last edited by Azaghal on Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Almost all my favorites have been covered except Flesh and Blood starring Rutger Hauer and Jason Leigh and directed by Paul Verhoeven (Robocop, Starship Troopers). Probably the best movie to get a feel for the mecenary wars in Renaissance Italy and not bad in terms of historical accuracy.

**WARNING** - NOT APPROPRIATE FOR CHILDREN!!!!!
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Eaters of the Dead: The book that got me reading Michael Crichton.

Timeline: The book that convinced me not to ever bother with Michael Crichton again.

I did enjoy the movie Timeline a lot better than the book (but Paul Walker is miscast as anything but a high-school dropout surfer-dude).
EDIT IN: Coming back to this considerably later after seeing Into the Blue, and I must say I was dead-on with the "high-school dropout surfer-dude" comment regarding Paul Walker)

Highlander: Why did they keep making sequels? The first was barely passable (and of course, primarily because of the presense of my favorite, Sean Connery).

Flesh and Blood is Renaissance, not medieval, but heck, it does involve a Castle! Interesting for its period, but take heed to Tedward's warning about content, and honestly, the picture is only so-so. If you like this kind of thing (and it's not for everyone), you might wish to look up another gritty mercenaries in the pike-and-shot era movie, The Last Valley. Michael Caine stars, James Clavell (Shogun) wrote the screenplay.
Last edited by TwoTonic Knight on Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

TwoTonic Knight wrote:Eaters of the Dead: The book that got me reading Michael Crichton.

Timeline: The book that convinced me not to ever bother with Michael Crichton again.

I did enjoy the movie Timeline a lot better than the book (but Paul Walker is miscast as anything but a high-school dropout surfer-dude).
Why didn't you like the book Timeline? Was is not historically accurate? (the obvious bits of time travel aside, of course)

I, personally, liked both books, and the Timeline movie. Haven't seen the Eaters Of The Dead (The 13th Warrior) movie yet.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].