Favorite Castle movie???

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
The Brick Rat
Laborer

Post by The Brick Rat »

Three of my favorites that haven't been mentioned yet:

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
In order to save the inhabitants of a walled town from a Turkish siege, the Baron embarks on a fantastical adventure to find his long-lost comrades-in-arms. Directed by Terry Gilliam.

Labyrinth
To rescue her baby brother from the Goblin King (a fashion-challenged David Bowie), Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) must navigate a labyrinth that leads to the Goblin Kings' castle. Lots of muppets in this one. Directed by Jim Henson. Produced by George Lucas.

The Wizard of Oz
Needs no introduction. I've always loved the Wicked Witch of the Wests' mountain castle.

Ken
Ristridin
Bailiff

Post by Ristridin »

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
In order to save the inhabitants of a walled town from a Turkish siege, the Baron embarks on a fantastical adventure to find his long-lost comrades-in-arms. Directed by Terry Gilliam.
Yeah, I have seen the movie (a long time ago). It`s realy good, did you also read the book? I did, and it great that there is a film of it!
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

The Brick Rat wrote:Labyrinth
To rescue her baby brother from the Goblin King (a fashion-challenged David Bowie), Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) must navigate a labyrinth that leads to the Goblin Kings' castle. Lots of muppets in this one. Directed by Jim Henson. Produced by George Lucas.
Ahh... I forgot about this one - truly a great movie - although not completely castle, it is by far a wonderful example of fantasy at it's finest. Another thing to thank Lucas for (besides SW!)

Hmm... you've got me in the mood to watch this now - time to pull out the old Beta-Max. 8)
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Horak the Great
Peasant

Post by Horak the Great »

I highly recommend Branagh's (well, Shakespeare's) Henry V. Excellent movie... Watch it!!!
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

Let's see

Braveheart
First Knight
A Knight's Tale
Lord of the Rings
Chronicles of Narnia

That's all folks!
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
Slobey
Foot Soldier

Post by Slobey »

[ I've watched all three LOTR movies 163 times each. Beat that :P

MB[/quote]

By my calculations thats 2 and a half hours per film x 3 x163 = 1222 hours of watching LOTR you are one big fan :shock:
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has limits
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

Actually, if you want to be precise, and assuming he's talking about the theatrical releases, rather than the extended versions...

The Fellowship of the Ring is 178 minutes long.
The Two Towers is 179 minutes long.
The Return of the King is 201 minutes long.

So..

It would take 29014 minutes to watch Fellowship of the Ring 163 times, 29177 minutes to watch Two Towers 163 times, and 32763 minutes to watch Return of the King 163 times.

All told, that's 90954 minutes.

Divide that by 60 - the number of minutes in an hour....

1515.9 hours of film.

And there are 24 hours in a day.

63.1625 days.

I'm gonna call shennanigans on that and say that it was an exaggeration. In truth, he's probably watched all three films 20 or 30 times, at best. That's a lot more reasonable while still being really fan-boyish.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

Whoa! Slobey, you have too much time on your hands.

My list:
Braveheart
Gladiator
Kingdom of Heaven
Narnia
LOTR

Thats about it. :wink:
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Absolutely too many to name. (plus I don't really have a favorite movie of any kind, that's not to say I like all movies either)

But the answer I always give to anyone who asks me what my favorite movie is...
The Princess Bride

A true classic, and it never gets old for me. Some others I reallllly enjoy are...

Braveheart
Gladiator
Narnia
LOTR
Monty Python...

and the list goes on

In His grip, Chris
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

wunztwice wrote: The Princess Bride

A true classic, and it never gets old for me.
Why, that's inconceivable! It's my favorite too. :P

Jonathan
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Heh heh... I second the Pricess Bride (or third it, I guess). I actually just rented it in DVD again last night to see it with my gf (who's never seen it, or anything like it). A great film, full of quirky and interesting "stuff".

Does anyone else know of a castle movie similiar in feel to this one?
Knight Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

If by "similar in feel" you mean "a sword-slinger comedy" then there's always Robin Hood: Men In Tights.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

ottoatm wrote:Heh heh... I second the Pricess Bride (or third it, I guess). I actually just rented it in DVD again last night to see it with my gf (who's never seen it, or anything like it). A great film, full of quirky and interesting "stuff".

Does anyone else know of a castle movie similiar in feel to this one?
It is unique...

Good luck finding something as memorable. (And, if you do, let us know!)

By the way, for some strange, strange reason, I read "gf" as "Grandfather"...
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Hmm... while I do enjoy the company of my Grandfather, I do have my limits. :D

I have seen Robin Hood: Men in Tights, but I'm not sure my girlfriend (or my grandfather) would take to it... she would probally give me that look she gives me when she sees me building a MOC or something.... since she's not really into medieval stuff... but maybe it's worth a shot.

I'll be on the look out for something else like it too...
Knight Templar

Histo-Sci
Laborer

Post by Histo-Sci »

A castle movie I like?...uh, lemme get back to y'all on that, 'kay?

Actually I don't like movies at all really, except for some documentaries (I loved Gods and Generals though, but that's the American Civil War, and the last time I watched it--which was coincidentally last night--I didn't see no little knighties in it....). My dad loves movies and he likes alot of medieval movies, but as for myself I don't like a one of them. Braveheart, Timeline, The War Lord, First Knight, The Vikings, and all those just are rather boring to me...well, at least I could contribute to the castle book discussion...heh heh heh.

Histo-Sci
"...my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen." --Martin Luther