Medieval Housing

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Medieval Housing

Post by Dragon Master »

Did appartment like buildings exist in the middle ages. I got a bunch of peasants and warriors that could use a place to live. I got a bunch of gray bricks and not a lot of "tudor" house pieces. I'd like to make a large stone building, CCC style with individual rooms for sleeping and a few large common rooms for dining and entertainment. Did buildings like this exist in the middle ages?

Thanks,

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

Inns and Taverans would "rent" rooms for extended peirods of time periodicaly. But what about a barricks? I think that would make the most sence for the soldiers.

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Thanks man, I think a large taven and a barracks would be nice. I got my work cut out for me!

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

You can also build a jail-house which would have been a stone structure, and put in all the peasants, and have the guards/soldiers guarding them.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

You do realise that this was three years, ago, right? :wink:

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Just a quick note here. We have been having a lot of old threads revived, so I thought I should point this out again.

It is fine to revive threads if you have new, relevant information. For instance, reviving old reviews is fine, if its a set you haven't reviewed, etc. But this thread seems to be stretching it a bit since Dragon Master was asking for advice on a MOC three years ago and he hasn't posted here for over a year.

Just something to keep in mind.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Knight David
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by Knight David »

Thanks for this, it really gives me ideas!!

David
sir aleks the bold
Villein

Post by sir aleks the bold »

yes these where usually called taverns they had 2 storys and half of the 1st floor was like a bar
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

Well the Romans actually buildt from two to six floors.

CastleLord.
CastleLord. The Lord of the castle.
TFOL and computer nerd. I do as I please and live life to the fullest!
Please visit:
and [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/castlelord/]My Flickr[/url]
The Crusader
Freeman

Post by The Crusader »

There is probably alot of forclosing right now. 8)
puddleglum
Artisan

Post by puddleglum »

sir aleks the bold wrote:yes these where usually called taverns they had 2 storys and half of the 1st floor was like a bar
It seems sir aleks is getting bold indeed with his old-thread-ressurecting habits, this time selecting a 2 year old thread where a mod has explicitly addressed the topic of posting in an old thread with no new/valuable info.
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle . . . Reshpeckobiggle."

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew_raehl/]flickr[/url]
Sir Prog
Laborer

Re:

Post by Sir Prog »

Knight David wrote:Thanks for this, it really gives me ideas!!

David
Pretty sweet castle gallery David. I dig the dismal authenticity of it. The resting room connected to the armory reminds me of a modern fire station, very accurate I bet.
For the King's Castle!
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Re: Medieval Housing

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Depends what you mean by apartments.

If you mean a condo style close built row housing with people to you sides sharing two walls most certainly.

As time went on people also seperated homes every which way so in a few generations you could have basically vertical and horizontal house clusters.

What you are describing sounds more like some type of inn or barracks. Soldiers empoyed could be expected to sleep in a communal setting or sorts at times or with various split rooms. Take a look at Middleham castle and you can see loads of rooms with fireplaces and latrines for people employed by the lord (Richard III).

That said stone houses were very common in some places, Southampton for example has loads of them.

My suggestion. You can make row housing out of stone and be perfectly historic. You could also make the 'tudor' looks (which is not really tudor by the way it predates them by centuries and some) with any solid lego color matched with black or brown supports.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...