Medieval Influence: Chronicles of Narnia Movies

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Medieval Influence: Chronicles of Narnia Movies

Post by architect »

Last night I saw the latest Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I enjoyed the movie, especially the medieval costumes. Hopefully the more traditional armor, gowns, helmets, tents, flags, and weaponry will influence the LEGO designers to make better castle sets. The movie, apart from it's internal message, shows that traditional clothed and armed figures work quite well in a fantasy medieval setting. I think it is obvious that movies influence much design work at LEGO, atleast subconsiously. This is why many KK2 designs resemble Lord of the Rings.

What do you all think about medieval history and fantasy movies influencing set design? What are your thoughts about this new Narnia movie?

Ben
Sets Admin

P.S. I do not know if I prefer the earlier 1980's Narnia movies better. Those were good as well.
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

I saw the movie last night, and it was cool. The armor on everyone was neat, but all I could think was "Get your visor down Peter, oh snap, he doesn't have any vision with the hole on that thing". And then with Edmund, he was like Santis, any rookie archer could have taken him out. I still like the battle scenes though, the phoenix rocked. :D

HenrytheV
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
The Green Knight
Reeve

Post by The Green Knight »

Yes! I was wondering if we were allowed to make a thread for this movie. Wasn't sure if it qualified as medieval life, but I guess if it has your approval we should be ok, eh? :wink: First off, I loved the movie. The casting was great. So was the acting, even though the professor and lucy stole the show. The rhino was awesome. The minotaurs didn't use their horns enough. And where were the people of the toadstools?
Great lines: "My name is Phillip." "It is finished." "Try me." "What do they teach in these schools?"

On the note of costumes, I am very glad that the theater was dark because I'm sure I must have turned green seeing Peter in his armor just before the charge.

Yes the costumes were great. When was the last time lego made normal looking dresses like Lucy's and Susan's? At least I thought they looked fairly peasant like. The guys had great costumes too. I know people don't like licensing, but if Lego had to make another one I'd want it to be this movie. If not for the costumes then for the Lion, wolf and centuar molds we'd get out of it.
Let us stop for a moment and ponder the signiture...

Ok, enough of that!
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

KK2 designs don't resemble LotR designs in the slightest - I wish they did. At least Alan Lee based his designs on real weapons and armor.

Haven't seen Narnia yet - I never really cared for the book. I'll probably see it though, at the very least for the art direction.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Rather than claiming that KKII is inspired by LOTR I would say that it is riding on the wave of fantasy currently at the front of the popular culture, every company that wants to make some money has to go with the trend! TLC has found it's own concept in KKII, let´s all hope that they continue to think this way for some time ahead...
I'm back, and so is Castle!
Stone Goblin
Bailiff

Post by Stone Goblin »

Evil MB has the license to the Chronicles of Narnia. :evil:

I think that's a good thing for Lego. I rather have Lego create their own fantasy themed sets(would you count KK2 or Vikings as fantasy like LotR? I wouldn't). Nonlicense sets would or should be cheaper compared to license sets. I rather have a LotR or Warhammer type of sets then Narnia.
I'm not a fan of Narnia, especially for the talking animals(I ony except talking humanoid animals,aka Minataur,Centuar and Goblins :lol: ). I'll probably wait till it comes out on video.
My MOCpages:[url]http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/2746[/url]

Our store(Peppermint Pig and I)
LibertyBRICK:[url]http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Stone_Goblin[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

KK2 designs don't resemble LotR designs in the slightest - I wish they did. At least Alan Lee based his designs on real weapons and armor.
I do not agree about sets themselves. You have a point about weaponry though. KKII is definitely its own concept and theme. But I believe design is influenced greatly by LOTR. For example Castle of Morcia has tiers in different levels and the center section is taller than the side towers.

Vladek's Dark Fortress is like the Black Gate of Mordor with Isengard Towers or Dark Towers. The set is long, narrow, tall, black, and has a central door. Ok so its not exactly the same. The Viking Fortress got the cool door ;) It must have taken them a bit to figure out that interesting construction.

Ben
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Also there's that highly interesting Vladek's Siege Tower... :? Reminded me of Grond almost from the beginning.

Not seen LWW yet - 5 more days! :D
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

I would say that the KKII and Viking lines are TLCs´ take at fantasy, of course in style and quality not at all like the stuff (weapons, armour And so on) that we see in for example the LOTR-movies, still it's in the same STYLE and in the same LINE OF THOUGHTS. Some of them more visible tahn others (for example the white and the black fortresses/castles, a key feature when it comes to have a good and a bad side go at it).

Now, I will probably go see the Narnia movie during the holidays (maybe after christmas, on the 25:th) Me and my brother have some loose plans to see it with some friends. We´ll see, and then I'll be back to tell you all what I thought. :D
I'm back, and so is Castle!
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I was listening to the news and found this story/review about the Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe... as well as similarities between this movie/story and the LOTR.

As I am sure some of you know, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien knew each other and shared their work, so I think it's reasonable to guess that there are some similarities between the two... I can also see the similarities between LOTR and the latest castle lines... especially with the Moorlands and Mordor.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

I just saw this movie for my second time. Its a great flick and probably my favorite of the year. In my opinion :roll: its a lot better than all the LOTR combined.
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

ottoatm wrote:I was listening to the news and found this story/review about the Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe... as well as similarities between this movie/story and the LOTR.

As I am sure some of you know, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien knew each other and shared their work, so I think it's reasonable to guess that there are some similarities between the two... I can also see the similarities between LOTR and the latest castle lines... especially with the Moorlands and Mordor.
The books were originally written as allegory's of the Christian faith, and C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were having a private competition to see who would write the best book.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

I have not seen it, but the British test audience gave it thumbs down I heard; too many special effects.

I dont like the "one true ruler" thing though, it is pretty much a dictatorship propaganda.
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

The books were originally written as allegory's of the Christian faith, and C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were having a private competition to see who would write the best book.
Yes. It was written as an allegory. I'm sorry if it may sound rude, yet I don't see why people are going skitzo over the religion in it. Whats wrong with a movie that displays a Christian faith? The night before it came out I read the book to get myself acquainted with the scenes and dialog. Needless to say, they never strayed from the book, not once. If the book is written as an allegory and the movie is trying to copy the book then most certainly you'll get some religion in there. Besides, you don't have to see it if you want.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Shadow wrote:Yes. It was written as an allegory. I'm sorry if it may sound rude, yet I don't see why people are going skitzo over the religion in it. Whats wrong with a movie that displays a Christian faith?
Hmmm... I haven't heard of anyone getting upset about this movie because it is an allegory on Christianity... Actually, I haven't heard anyone mention it until now, although I may have missed a thread or two... ;-)

In the audio review I posted earlier, the one interesting point that the reviewer mentioned was that because the book is written towards (and features) children, it's focus and material reads very well in the book but doesn't translate as well in multimedia format (in the movie). Still, even he gave it a "thumbs up".

I haven't seen this movie yet, but I certainly plan to... And I am curious to see if LEGO has any sort of "inspired" designs from this movie in future KK2.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]