Favorite Castle Book?

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
leshrac
Villein

Post by leshrac »

Deffinately LotR's and The Hobbit.
The Dragonlance books are almost as high on my list as LotR.
Harry Turtledoves "In the Balance" series is what im readin now, and its pretty good.
And Fred Saberhagen's two Trilogies "the Lost Swords" and The complete book of lost swords"
My dark age lasted 3 weeks back in 1996!
tbaixinho
Villein

Post by tbaixinho »

Hi!

Well, I've a few that I really like but to be fair I'll only talk about the two I like the most, in no particularly order:

Dragonlance

The Merlin Codex
Celtika - Book One
The Iron Grail - Book Two
From Robert Holdstock
They tell us a storie about Argo and the argonauts. Cool
tânia baixinho
sarous
Foot Soldier

Post by sarous »

the forgotten relams dark elf trilogyand icewind dale trilogy
and chronicals of the three swordsmen trilogy(fates convergince, the war of the gods, the demon wars) :D :D
the inheritance trilogy(third book not out yet but i will love it for what its worth(story wise)
on the game morrowind i am makeing drizzit do'urden as one of my main characters
Riath Angel Sin, the soul reaping hexblade
Sir Dano
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Post by Sir Dano »

There Will Be Dragons
Emerald Sea
Against the Tide
East Of The Sun, West Of The Moon
by John Ringo

The Excalibur Alternative
Megablocks's Gate
Megablocks Hath No Fury
Oath Of Swords(pure fantasy)
The War God's Own(pure fantasy)
Windriders Oath(pure fantasy)
by David Weber

Dragonmaster(Miltary fantasy)
by Chris Bunch

Most of them are a cross between Science Fiction and Fantasy but they're still great books
boses
Man-At-Arms

Post by boses »

I am not sure how much it fits into the "Castle" category, but I enjoyed several of the books in the Xanth fantasy series by Piers Anthony.
"Life is a blooming miracle, all wrapped in a package of light, and the hands of God are ever strong for doing what He might..."
---brickshelf---

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=boses
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

I think we are forgetting some of the greatest masterpieces ever thought of.

The Odyssey may not appeal to most people, but it is certainly the start to the epic hero tale, which is what most of these stories contain.

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
ericgizmo
Freeman

Post by ericgizmo »

Come on people! Never heard of The Last Apprentice series. Me ethier until i read them. They are good. In England it is called Wardstone Cronciles I think. written by Joesph Delany here is the English website for it http://www.spooksbooks.com/
Luke I am your father! Join me and receive a free toaster!
Black Falcon
Villein

Post by Black Falcon »

The Hobbit- best book of all time (I'm currently re-reading it for the fifth or sixth time... poor book's about to fall apart...)

The Lord of the Rings comes in second (because Frodo doesn't beat out Bilbo, sorry Mr. Frodo).

What could ever beat the genius of Tolkien?

Third place goes to Harry Potter (Books 4 and 3 are my favorites, but I like them all except 5 and 6- Harry's too annoying in those ones).

Fourth might be those little mice books (Redwall or something like that). I read them a long time ago but they were a nice twist on castle stories.

Almost forgot to include the classics! King Arthur, Ivanho, etc. - all very good!
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

I think both C.S Lewis and Tolkien are genius' in what they wrote. While there books are different they both have a somewhat similar influence.

World War One influenced the whole LOTR series quite a lot I think as well as World War .

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Prince Imdol wrote:I think both C.S Lewis and Tolkien are genius' in what they wrote. While there books are different they both have a somewhat similar influence.
CS Lewis & Tolkein were actually close friends & both were members of the literary group the "Inklings" at Oxford University :)
The_Vanquished
Artisan

Post by The_Vanquished »

My mom found a bunch of books in our basement that I haven't read yet, but they look really good, and David Eddings is great. The "Malloreon" series, and the "Belgariad" series. And as soon as I'm done with "The Dark Tower" series, these are next.
wrap me in a bolt of lightning,
send me on my way still smiling,
maybe that's the way i should go:
straight into the mouth of the unknown....
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

I just wanted to mention 3 books that I absolutely adore:

1. Castles: Their Construction and History by Sidney Toy
-Excellent information crammed into this book in only 250 pages.
The book is very detailed & informative and does an excellent job covering the subject in such a small amount of space.
Don't expect big beautiful photos, though the book does have some good ground plan sketches for many of the well known castles in Western Europe. Its a great introduction for the serious castle buff or for anyone else just interested in the subject.

2. Crusader Castles by Hugh Kennedy
-Book contains pretty much everything you need to know about the castles built by the crusaders, with each castle having its own unique story.
The information contained in this book is splendid. There's not many other books out there that specifically focus on the crusader castles, so this book is truly a gem in my opinion. Like the book before it, don't expect any big beautiful photos. There are many black n white photos that complement the text along with ground plan sketches of most of the castles talked about in the book. Probably appeals more to the serious reader than the casual one.

3. Castles from the Air by Giampiero Gianazza
-If big beautiful photos of castles is what you want, then this book should satisfy your craving. All the photos in this book are taken from the air (my guess is that the photographer shot them all from a helicopter or ultra-light airplane?). Anyways, the book gives you excellent panorama shots that usually display the entire castle structure, so you can get a good idea of the layout of the castles. As far as photography goes, no other castle book I've looked at even comes close!
I picked this one up a couple months ago at Barnes & Noble for only $10 (it was on sale). The book itself is big and heavy. Most of the photos take up an entire page, some two.
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Bandit
Laborer

Post by Bandit »

I like Magyk, it's kinda unpopular but it's a fast read
Question: Why do we drive in PARKways and park in DRIVEways?
Teherean
Steward

Post by Teherean »

My number one must be Robin Hood. I also highly reccomend you all to read Ivanhoe and King Arthur when you have the ability.
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

I only have one word to say IVANHOE. It is the best book I have ever read. Close after comes LOTR and R. A. Salvatore's books.
Af hverju í skollanum er fiskabúr á herbergisgólfinu mínu?