Favorite Castle Book?

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Histo-Sci
Laborer

Post by Histo-Sci »

Wow! Hothnir Ethelnor (now I had to look to see how to spell that :wink: ) I LOVE your signature! That one's my favorite book of his (and probably my favorite fiction book)! I think that you are number four (including myself) as to Henty readers here on CC. I love that Henty's books are seeing a revival these days....how can you not like them? Great battles, fascinating, intricate plots, edge-of-your-seat action, and, of course, great values. It is so common to see cowardly men and cowardly actions extolled that I just love reading about men with real guts who will fight for their countries readily, aren't afraid to stand up for their beliefs and will go to the ends of the earth to save--or even die--for women. Woohoo for Henty!!!!!!!!

In our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ,

Histo-Sci
"...my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen." --Martin Luther
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

Stone Goblin wrote:D&D Player's Handbook: Good for character description ideas.
I am so glad someone included a D&D reference. I would include any of the D&D books as a great source of information for a Lego Castle world - Especially for character backgrounds. Thank you Stone Goblin.

------------------
George Georgiou
------------------
Anubisconq
Bailiff

Post by Anubisconq »

I LOVE "In Freedom's Cause". That book rocks! That might be my 2nd favorite book. I think I like "Lord of the Rings" more, though. Who are the other Henty Readers?
Histo-Sci
Laborer

Post by Histo-Sci »

Wow! Another Henty reader! Welcome to the world of Henty Anubis! That book just makes me drool profusely...battles, history, and a damsel in distress to be rescued by the just warrior! What could be more castley? The other Henty readers are (correct me if I am wrong anyone):

HenrytheV
Hothnir Ethelnor
Azaghal
Me ( :wink: )

I think that is all, but if anyone else does please post! I might just make a new thread here....

Histo-Sci
"...my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen." --Martin Luther
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

I just read The Red Keep, by Allen French. It's a good story.

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
Anubisconq
Bailiff

Post by Anubisconq »

"The Red Keep" is good as well (like you said,smcginnis). I can't remember all the details, but I remember it was good.
Rubberchickenknight
Squire

Post by Rubberchickenknight »

Lord of the Rings (well duh)
Narnia
Inheritance
Prydain
Dragonlance (and other D+D books)
Harry Potter
Belgariad
Artemis Fowl
Bartimeaus Trilogy
Terry Brooks' books
The Dark is Rising
The Fionavar Tapestry
Earthsea Trilogy
H. P. Lovecraft
Terry Pratchett
And many others...
(As you can see, I read a lot of Fantasy.)
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." - Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

I've just finished a great narrative on the crusades - a little slanted, but it is told from the perspective of a French Knight.

It's called Deus Lo Volt.
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

Rubberchickenknight's post reminded me that I read the Earthsea trilogy, among other things. I too have read Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, and the Bartimeaus Trilogy, and while they're fantasy, they aren't castle books.

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
Hothir Ethelnor
Freeman

Post by Hothir Ethelnor »

Histo-Sci wrote:Wow! Hothnir Ethelnor (now I had to look to see how to spell that :wink: ) I LOVE your signature! That one's my favorite book of his (and probably my favorite fiction book)! I think that you are number four (including myself) as to Henty readers here on CC. I love that Henty's books are seeing a revival these days....how can you not like them? Great battles, fascinating, intricate plots, edge-of-your-seat action, and, of course, great values. It is so common to see cowardly men and cowardly actions extolled that I just love reading about men with real guts who will fight for their countries readily, aren't afraid to stand up for their beliefs and will go to the ends of the earth to save--or even die--for women. Woohoo for Henty!!!!!!!!

Histo-Sci
You still got it wrong! :P :lol: It's Hothir not Hothnir.
"The lad parried it, and leaping back, struck at the horse's leg. The animal fell instantly, and as he did so Archie struck full on the helm of Sir John Kerr" Excerpt from, In Freedoms Cause by G.A Henty
zac_schmitt
Freeman

Post by zac_schmitt »

a song of ice and fire is the best medieval fantasy around. the main other message board i spend most of my time on is devoted to the series, actually. mature, yes, depressing, yes, but also wonderfully written (although the prose can get a tiny bit wooden) richly detailed, and the backstory is amazing.

i hear steven erickson is either great or horrible, depending. bad character development, i hear, and looong.

i have many gripes with tolkien, but his prolixity is not one of them. in fact, my least favorite aspect of the movies are that they pretty much ignored that a huge facet of the novel is the pure joy in description, how, on a journey (rather than action filled romp) sometimes the pure spirit of a place (the lothlorien, the caves of moria, what have you) can infect a psyche and infect the very being of someone. i wish fantasy had more instances of travelling around, visiting awe inspiring sights, rather than constant saving the world and battling. remember when gimli and legolas promised each other that, when the war was over, they would visit the lothlorien and the caves below helm's deep together? i kinda wished i could have read that.

ivanhoe is great, too, of course.
ragnarok
Bailiff

Post by ragnarok »

Instead of listing the books, I'll write the authors:

Robert Louis Stevenson
Walter Scott
Henrich Sinkewich

J.R.R.Tolkien
Robert Howard
Peter Tylor
Martin Scott
Terry Pratchet
dJOLe_sk8
Artisan

Post by dJOLe_sk8 »

J.R.R.Tolkien's:
SILMARILLION, THE HOBBIT, LORD OF THE RINGS I-VI
and the rest of his mythology,collections of poems,etc.

Hans Beman's STONE OF POWER I-III
SWORD OF SHANNARA by Terry Brooks

and now I'm reading fantastic Robert Jordan's serial WHEEL OF TIME...

Greetings from Serbia
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

In no particular order.

Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien 8)
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Deltora Quest by Emily Rodda (when I was younger)
Eragon by Christopher Paolini
Rowan of Rin by Emily Rodda (also when I was younger)
Simarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
Jake, of the Palace Guard
Laborer

Post by Jake, of the Palace Guard »

Anything from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Period.