Hey, European Guys! and Gals!

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

After gazing at these awsome Castles I noticed something. The ones from Germany that Jojo showed all seem to be built on high ground. The English ones are all build on level grass? Is there a reason for this (i.e. lack of hills in England). Or are there structural reasons.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

This is just a guess - not an actual fact :)

My guess is that the English castles (in Wales and Scotland) were ment more to impress and subdue the locals there. From what I've read, hardly any of them were involved an any determined siege. In contrast, you have the warring and disunited factions in medieval Germany where one would want to put a fortification in the best spot possible (i.e. a large hill)

There's my two cents.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Dragon Master wrote:Is there a reason for this (i.e. lack of hills in England).
That's actually what I think :-) If there were noteworthy hills in England they would have built their castles upon them. A hill means more effort while building the structure but also less required material because the hill itself has the function of a barrier.

Bye
Jojo

st1920
Peasant

Post by st1920 »

Altough we don't have big castles where I live (Frisia), we did have towers, altough many of them have been broken down. luckally there still stands one not far from where I live.

www.schierstins.nl

This tower used to defense monks who lived nearby
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

Nothing wrong with Hammond Castle of course, and is a nice looking building too.
But it has not the rich history, and I suppose, also not the extremely thick walls (some 12-ft to 15-ft) as the real (English) castles.

But don’t bother too much.
In Europe, during the centuries, many castes are knocked down and rebuild every time as fashion changes, even at de beginning of the 19th century, so they are in a sense, not real castles either.

Or they turned into restaurant etc, as mentioned before.
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

i know in not from liechtenstein but norway but theres a really cool castle there http://www.gregoryferdinandsen.com/MUC2 ... 0Vaduz.jpg
check it out

no castles in norway :(

oh theres a site on the web whit loads of castles http://www.castles.org/
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Post by Chancellor Erik »

I have been to alot of castles in Germany, my favorites were Heidleberg, Kussel, and Landstuhl (I guess because they were so close by to where I lived, so I went to them alot :) ).
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Question:

Why lots of the German Castles Jojo showed us lack or have very few battlments (except in the towers)?
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

One of the reasons can be that in the course of time these battlements became out of use. The owner wanted more living space and then decided to remove the crenellated parapets and to build one or more storeys on the remaining walls. These solid walls were good foundations and you had a splendid view of course. Or it were once wooden battlements and they are gone, owing to decay or fire, and never been replaced.
Our German friends can certainly tell more about this item.

In the Netherlands, during that period, whole castles were demolished, and replaced by magnificent manors. They were still called “Castles” but weren’t in fact real castles at al :(
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Legomaat wrote:One of the reasons can be that in the course of time these battlements became out of use. The owner wanted more living space and then decided to remove the crenellated parapets and to build one or more storeys on the remaining walls. These solid walls were good foundations and you had a splendid view of course. Or it were once wooden battlements and they are gone, owing to decay or fire, and never been replaced.
That's most likely the case.
Additionally, as stated before, most German castles are built upon wooded hills. So there was not much room for the enemies to gather in front of the doors and walls and siege the castle, archers and catapults were quite inoperative there. That means there was no use for battlements. It was enough to guard the gate and the way up the hill to the castle.

They were still called “Castles” but weren’t in fact real castles at al
In German we call a mediaeval fortified manor-house with several courtyards and towers "Burg" (castle). These castles may be altered over the centuries, losing their primarily military purpose and going more towards "manor-house". We still call those castles "Burg" because they once have been one.

And then there are castles that were not built during the middle ages but later (let's say from the 15th century on) and from the beginning not sporting battlements and fortified outer walls. Their towers are meant to be symbolic for a manor-hose of a nobleman rather than serving real military purposes. In times of cannons and mortars the concept "mediaeval castle" simply was obsolete. Those castles that are more decorative and prestigious we call "Schloss" (castle :-) ).
So we would never call "Neuschwanstein Castle" a "Burg", because it was built only in the 19th century because the Bavarian King Ludwig had too much money and too few brain. In fact he was as short of money as he was short of brains.... Anyway. Neuschwanstein is a "Schloss".

Bye
Jojo