Eragon movie coming out Dec. 15!

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Unknown Knight
Laborer

Eragon movie coming out Dec. 15!

Post by Unknown Knight »

They haven't posted the movie trailer yet :cry: , but I hoping that they'll post it soon.

I don't recognize who is playing Eragon. I think that Jeremy Irons will make a great Brom.

They also have a desktop pic in different resolutions avalible. (It is my current desktop pic!)

Here's the link
http://www.eragonmovie.com/

Just can't wait for the movie to come out!!! :D

EDIT
Fixed the my faulty link.
the Unknown Knight
----------
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

Hey! That's awesome! I loved this book when I read it. I can't wait for the movie.
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Very cool. Let's hope they don't butcher it.
Last edited by Lord_Of_The_LEGO on Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Very cool. Let's hope they don't butcher it.
Hear hear!

I saw this a bit ago. There was supposed to be a trailer for it in Superman Returns, but it wasn't there...
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

I hope the movie is good. Eragon was good. Eldest not so much.

I don't want to get into a big discussion, but I did find things in both books a little predictable. Inspiraction from Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars, Pern, etc. were apperant, and the use of cliches and due ex machina was annoying.

Funnily enough, I didn't like the main character very much. But I rarely like main characters. I prefer Brom over Eragon, Han over Luke, Ginny over Harry ( :lol: ), Gimli over Frodo, and so on a so on.

But I'm just picky. But something when I read a book or watch a movie, I can't help but think "I could write/direct this better.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

But I'm just picky. But something when I read a book or watch a movie, I can't help but think "I could write/direct this better.
Exactly the same feelings. Especialy with LOTR, the directing part.

Well, never read Eragon, don't know what it's about, but as long as it's medieval, I'm all for it! As long as it's not corny.
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

I guess this movie has potential. I never read the book, so I don't know what to expect.

The storyline at the site seems painfully generic though. :?
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

TheOrk wrote:The storyline at the site seems painfully generic though.
One of it's downfalls, to say the least. :?
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:
TheOrk wrote:The storyline at the site seems painfully generic though.
One of it's downfalls, to say the least. :?
Yes...can you say Star Wars or Lord Of The Rings? Evil member of good warrior order takes over the world until the farmboy hero topples him with newfound powers and allies? Though in this case, the story's so similar, you could probably shout it.

- Matt
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

Im looking forward to it...but I hope that they don't make it too bad.
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Here's a trailer of sorts:

http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=103&item=0

Wow, that was blatant. "We're riding the wave of popularity of The Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter!"

:roll:
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Wow, that was blatant. "We're riding the wave of popularity of The Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter!"
It's just the timing that's off. If this had come out, say, a few years earlier or ten years later, that wouldn't be the case.

And while it indeed seems similar to The Lord of the Rings, it's not at all appealing to the Harry Potter fanbase, at least from what I've read of both books.

Christopher has a great and unique story, but his timing is terrible.
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Very cool. Let's hope they don't butcher it.
That what I thought as soon as I saw it. I liked the books, besides being rather generic, (like mentioned) I hope they won't ruin the movie. :?
zac_schmitt
Freeman

Post by zac_schmitt »

The storyline at the site seems painfully generic though.

One of it's downfalls, to say the least.

Yes...can you say Star Wars or Lord Of The Rings?
of course, lord of the rings came out 50 years ago and ushered in the genre, setting conventions and cliches which would be imitated. not that lotr was so earth shatteringly original or anything, either, but it wasn't supposed to be. tolkien was trying to write his own heroic epic - and heroic epics (like beowulf) tend to have very straightforward plots and obvious good/evil differentiations. otherwise it's not all that heroic, really. as a side note i always thought tolkien using orcs, instead of some other human faction (not counting easterlings and southrons) was brilliant, because it gave him scads of baddies to kill off indiscriminantly without having to worry about moral ambiguity. aragorn good, orcs bad. let's get 'em.

which is one of the main reasons i tend to gravitate toward the china mieville/george r.r. martin camps of fantasy series, to avoid tired cliches and "there once lived a great hero..." storylines.
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

of course, lord of the rings came out 50 years ago and ushered in the genre
Depends on what genre you're talking about. If you're generally referring to medievalesque fantasy, you'd be wrong. Tolkien has predecessors. Robert Howard, for instance, was publishing Conan stories before Lord of the Rings was written.
tolkien was trying to write his own heroic epic - and heroic epics (like beowulf) tend to have very straightforward plots and obvious good/evil differentiations.
I don't know about that. Beowulf, obviously one of Tolkien's inspirations, doesn't entirely portray Grendel as evil - but rather wronged and in need of some killin'. Likewise, Tolkien has some ambiguity in his stories. Megablox, lots of it. Elves killing other Elves to chase down the bad guy. 'Evil men' where one of the main characters wonders if they are truly evil. A misguided good guy turning evil, but not entirely evil, seeming to never truly understand that he's turned (Saruman). Orcs and Gondorians - sure, that's a given for moral straightforwardness (kind of). But taken as a whole, Middle-earth is far from being morally absolute.

In any event. . . I'm looking forward to Eragon. I've never read the books, myself -- but I always enjoy a good fantasy/medieval flick. And I don't even mind if it's cheesy. I mean, Conan the Barbarian was cheesy. BeastMaster was cheesy. Cheesy can be good. We'll see. At the very least, it should -look- pretty impressive, as it seems fantasy and historical movies are getting better budgets ever since LotR.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar