Eragon movie coming out Dec. 15!

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

SPOILER ALERT!

I was extremely disappointed with the movie, and I think anyone who has read the books will feel the same. It wasn't just small incongruities, like Arya's hair color, but gaping inconsistencies. No Dwarf was ever named in the film (though they did show 'Hrothgar' in the credits); The 'Dwarves' that were shown were 5'6" tall; The Ra'zac were killed (by Eragon!), the Urgals were just really big men (no horns!), and Brom and Eragon never went to Terim. I could point out a number of others, but then nobody would read this for length. :D

The other thing, which is more opinion than anything, was the general 'feel' of the film. The Varden had very asian-inspired armor and clothing, and the few towns that were shown were wattle-and-duab huts or native-american wigwams. Uru'baen (or Dras-Leona, they mixed those up as well) was a very boring city- the fortress looked like a bunch of boxes spaced next to each other.

Also, I was disappointed in Angela's actor.

The general pace of the movie was far too fast, leaving out very good character development.

My two pence.
Shurtugal
Bailiff
Location: On the Albertan Prairies, listening to some slow country music

Post by Shurtugal »

Yes, I too was very dissapointed. Only an hour and a half long!!?? An extra hour wouldn't have killed them, would it? It could have been so much better.

SPOILER ALERT!
The Varden had very asian-inspired armor and clothing,
Actually, I thought that's what the Varden would have worn.

Also, there were some amazing camera shots, perticularly of flying.

Bad things.

-Arya didn't have pointed ears. This a crucial part of the story!

-Arya just wasn't Arya, if you get what I mean.

-Murtagh really wasn't Murtagh.

-Ajihod didn't die! Also critical to the storyline!

-Angela wasn't Angela. And there was no mention whatsoever of Solembum!! The cat-boy-thing is also crtitical!

So, yeah, really dissapointing movie..
~Andrew C.

[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php]MOCpages![/url]

Eka ai fricai un Shur'tugal! I am a Rider and a friend!
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

I tried really hard to like Eragon, and then later, Eldest. I tried. Mostly because I wanted to "support" a fellow homeschooler and young writer. I tried.

But I couldn't force myself to like something that I realised was Star Wars wrapped in Lord Of The Rings.

End the end I will watch the movie, when it's released on DVD, but just to see how bad it is.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Judging from Shurtugal and E I suppose I´m glad I didn´t read the books before I watched the movie since I thought it was decent... and I liked Arya quite a lot :P

I agree with you about it being too short and fast-paced though, even though I hadn´t read it I had a feeling they left out quite a lot.

The Ra'zac were wonderful though (true to the books or not).. some of the most unsettling things I´ve ever seen..

Also I am surprised I haven´t heard anyone say: "Oh, come on, don´t be so picky about haircolours and so forth. It´s just a movie. They did their best." Since that´s all I hear when expressing my disgust at the LOTR movies :roll:
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

E of Alshire wrote:SPOILER ALERT!

...The 'Dwarves' that were shown were 5'6" tall; ...
There were supposed to be dwarves? In the dialogue dwarves and elves were mentioned and I was dissapointed that there weren't any. I certainly saw no dwarves. Was the hairy Vardan leader with the Scottish accent supposed to be a dwarf? If he was he would be the biggest freaking dwarf ever conceived. :shock:

Now I have not read the book(s) - yet - but I was expecting the sorceress who gave Eragon the egg to turn out to be an elf from the way she behaved but when we finally saw her in good light and close up I saw nothing particulalry "elvish" about her.

The kids I took to the film loved it. The dragon was very convincing but frankly there was nothing original or inspiring about the movie. I hope the book is better. :?
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

Tedward wrote:
E of Alshire wrote:SPOILER ALERT!

...The 'Dwarves' that were shown were 5'6" tall; ...
There were supposed to be dwarves? In the dialogue dwarves and elves were mentioned and I was dissapointed that there weren't any. I certainly saw no dwarves. Was the hairy Vardan leader with the Scottish accent supposed to be a dwarf? If he was he would be the biggest freaking dwarf ever conceived. :shock:
Yes, those were the 'Dwarves' mentioned in the credits. :?

The dragon was wonderful, as you said, but it makes me wonder why they couldn't spice up the film a bit more with more CG work. Some of the cinematography was awful (not the flying shots, though) and would have benifited from more CG.
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

I was looking forward to the day when you would say "they needed more CG" when you complain about the SW being too CG.

Man, this is a disappointment. Apparently, they didn't even have the twins nor did they even mention Tronjheim. What a crappy movie!
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
Shurtugal
Bailiff

Post by Shurtugal »

Maedhros wrote:The Ra'zac were wonderful though (true to the books or not).. some of the most unsettling things I´ve ever seen..
True, but they could've had way more screentime :P

I didn't see any dwarves, either....
~Andrew C.

kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

The only thing that I think was done well was the shade. Although the final battle with him wasn't at all. Also, I would like to predict that they are just going to leave Eragon's village out of the movies completely.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
TheBohrok
Artisan

Post by TheBohrok »

Shurtugal wrote:-Arya didn't have pointed ears. This a crucial part of the story!

-And there was no mention whatsoever of Solembum!! The cat-boy-thing is also crtitical!

So, yeah, really dissapointing movie.
I have never read the books and most likely I will not watch the movie, but I'm interested in your comments. From what I quoted above, I can't see how they could make more movies without butchering the story even more. Do you guys think they will make the other movies?
Shurtugal
Bailiff

Post by Shurtugal »

yeah, they will, (because) there's two more books (one isn't even on the shelves just yet). Unless they go bankrupt for this one.....

...but they probly won't, because Eragon was the #2 movie at the box office this week, so it's more than likely they will continue to butcher the storyline.

P.S. I do encourage you to read the books, they tell quite an epic.
~Andrew C.

E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

TheBohrok wrote:
Shurtugal wrote:-Arya didn't have pointed ears. This a crucial part of the story!

-And there was no mention whatsoever of Solembum!! The cat-boy-thing is also crtitical!

So, yeah, really dissapointing movie.
I have never read the books and most likely I will not watch the movie, but I'm interested in your comments. From what I quoted above, I can't see how they could make more movies without butchering the story even more. Do you guys think they will make the other movies?
See, that bothered me too. Galbatorix (the main villain) had an "I'm going to kill him" moment at the end, but if you've read the second book, you'll realize that they've effectively killed Roran's storyline- about a third of the second book and the best third, in my opinion. That bothered me...
sarous
Foot Soldier

Post by sarous »

i saw the movie if you havent read the book it is good but for thoose who have other than the names the story and story line is compleately of topic
and saphira is a dragon not a freakin bird(feathers and fur instead of armoured scales :cry: :!: :!: :!: )
Riath Angel Sin, the soul reaping hexblade
sarous
Foot Soldier

Post by sarous »

in response to shurtugals use of the ancheint language "vesra manth carbran dracos carn methra dragosshurtugal weraith" translation from runic to english (or as close to it as i can translate my own language) "i am a dragon knight, not a weak dragon rider" (the power of dragon warriors gos from dragon lord to dragon knight then to dragon rider)
viva la hierarchy
Riath Angel Sin, the soul reaping hexblade
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Also, the way that Saphira magically grew up in a matter of seconds, just by flying thorugh the air made absolutely no sense.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.