Was this a deal?

Buying, Selling, or Trading LEGO or Castle related items
svede
Villein

Was this a deal?

Post by svede »

Hi All,

I hope this is the correct forum for a post like this - please move if it is not.

So, basically I wanted to share a deal I got and get your opinions on it since I am rather new to this.

In the past couple months I have watched the Atlantis Gateway of the Squid and got 2 of them on sale for $30 at Target (usually $40). However, this isn't the real deal - but just to give some additional info. And to give some more background, the main thing I like about these sets is that they have 2 of the 6x12 dark tan plate that is only in handful of sets other than store grand opening exclusives. Additionally, it has 3 4x6 tan plates and a fair number of dark bley pieces including 8 of the 1x8 dark bley bricks. I also like the 8 dark green weeds/spines. :)

So, I decided to check a local kmart yesterday since I have heard about nice sales there but never seem to find them. Well, I found 7 of these sets there for $16 each ($112 total). Now you may call me crazy, but here is the way I was thinking about it. The squid warrior sells decent (seems to be usually $5-$7 on ebay and avg of $8.45 on bricklink) and the 2 diver minifigs are nice enough that I think I could probably make back at least $10-$12 per set. If that is the case I would be paying about $30-$40 for over 2300 lego pieces - seems decent to me. Am I being stupid or does this make sense to you guys?

Then today I checked another kmart and they had 6 more sets, but for $24. So I only got 3. Should I have gotten the other 3 as well or should I have even gotten these?

Any thoughts you can provide and advice for how to sell (i.e., bulk minifigs of the same type, should I do ebay vs bricklink, etc) would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much!!
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Re: Was this a deal?

Post by Athos »

I'm thinking there is too much math there for me to really try and sort out.

You can get the plates themselves for an average of $0.32, which means for the $24.00 for the set, you could get 75 of those plates. Of course, you also get some of the other pieces that come with the set.

In the end, the real price of an item is what someone is willing to pay. So whether it is a deal, all depends on you.

I got my copy of the set from amazon for, I think, $20.00. So, at any rate, its not the best price I've seen.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]