Any interest in a 2011 Castle Jambalaya?

Buying, Selling, or Trading LEGO or Castle related items
Mudpuppy
Apprentice

Any interest in a 2011 Castle Jambalaya?

Post by Mudpuppy »

I'd be willing to put together a parts box if there's any interest?

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=jnicely1
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Re: Any interest in a 2011 Castle Jambalaya?

Post by Bluesecrets »

I would like to suggest that if you do run a castle jambalaya, that you put some restrictions in place. The last jambalaya run here had issues. Restrictions such as being a member for a year, requiring pictures be taken so that you will know that non-lego parts were not placed in and who did it, requiring only castle relevant pieces be placed in the box, how many people can participate, etc.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Mudpuppy
Apprentice

Post by Mudpuppy »

Good call. I roughly followed the last minifig swap that was done and noticed that toward the end it went a little haywire. If anyone else has any suggestions based on past experiences, I'd be happy to hear them.

kibosh
Apprentice

Post by kibosh »

Just a thought, but would it make more sense to do a jambalaya with other non-castle boards as well? For instance, you as a castle fan, throw in a bunch of space pieces you have no use for. You then send to a member on of classic-space.com. They in turn load it up with town parts, and send it to a town forum member who fills it up with castle bits to send back to this board.

Why would castle folks want to throw in castle parts?
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Because not all of us build with the same material. For example:

I build in TAN, I hate Bley. I HATE big wall sections and corner sections with a passion. I have several smaller factions that I could do without. I collect a lot of rare things that I would put in the box just to give people a little happiness (because yes there are people who are generous in the world). A lot of people are purging their collections of old colors.

AND more importantly...if this is run for CC members, why would we let someone in who we do not know. How do we know they are trustworthy at all?

Jambalaya are run all over the FOL world. There are groups just on flickr for them alone. If you have issues with a whole castle run one, don't join in.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Mudpuppy
Apprentice

Post by Mudpuppy »

Kibosh, if this were a cross-genre group to begin with, that would be a great idea. But as Blue mentioned, it's really a matter of comfort with the people you're trading with. We'd all like to think the best of people, but unfortunately, for every generous person out there (and there are many!) there are easily just as many willing to rip off the whole lot. It's easier to keep track and avoid those people within the smaller communities that we have set up. For instance, while I don't post often (and so some people might not know me), I've traded with a fair number of people on these boards so that my reputation could be vouched for if my actions were ever called into question. If I just showed up from Classic-Space.com... no one here would likely know me and even if I had someone who vouched for me from there... that person might not be known either.

Ultimately, the whole idea of Jambalaya is to have fun, perhaps get a few pieces you didn't have, and pass on some pieces you might not have needed.

I'm going to put a box of parts/pieces together this weekend. It'll probably be a mixture of bricks, minifigs, and minifig items. I'm not sure of the size/value initially, but if anyone has any "requests" for starter composition (not that they'll still be there when it gets to you :tasty: ) please feel free to chime in here or PM me. Once I have the box ready, I'll start a new post with the rules for entry and then line up the addresses lists.

For those of you who do play cross-genre, I started a similar interest thread on ForbiddenCove.com (the Pirate Lego enthusiast forums similar to CC). You can find that thread here.

Hoboman
Apprentice

Post by Hoboman »

While I would love to join in a Castle Jambalaya I would not want to see a lot of "Spcae" or City stuff in the box. Maybe some generic level torsos or heads maybe, but for the most part I would expect it to be mostly castle elements. (or at least Viking or Ninja if it was nto castle).

As for me, I agree with what has been said so far. I know I have a few Skellitons and some of the early Castle torsos I do nto want. I would pu tthem into the box.

On that note, I would be interested if I met the criteria you end up with.
"What do you mean I lost another battle?"
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

Blue hit some great points about having the Castle Jambalaya exclusive to a smaller community. Be picky as to who you include in the Jambalaya, because I know the person that started the last one got screwed. While there were members that were very generous, I know he got a box of mostly junk by the time it got to him. What idiot puts in a load of soccer balls into a Castle Jambalaya?? Keep the list short for a better turn around time and better success at not having it ruined. If you know a member for being one of those guys that tries to scam others on here (and there are a few) don't include them. I'd also suggest not including people that "didn't realize" an option and are rude.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Mudpuppy
Apprentice

Post by Mudpuppy »

This is to those who have participated in past events:

If you know of someonen who SHOULD NOT be included, please give me a courtesy PM.

JCool
Apprentice

Post by JCool »

I was upset to have missed the first Jambalaya, and while I understand there were a few issues with it, I'd be willing to join this one and give it a shot. I've got quite an extensive castle collection so I'm sure I can come up with some quality pieces to put into the box that I have no use for! u
-Joe "Cool"
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

It was very unfortunate that the previous Jambalaya was ruined by some people. While taking pictures is tedious and not fun, I believe it is a necessity to maintain the integrity of the Jambalaya. With that being said, I am interested in participating if given the chance.
LEGO --- Impossible is Nothing.
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

If another jambalaya decides to make the rounds, I would very much like to participate. I enjoyed the last here a lot (being first on the list helped, I think)

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

If this takes off, I'd be interested.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Yeah, so would I.
Mudpuppy
Apprentice

Post by Mudpuppy »

I'm running a (likely smaller) jambalaya at Forbidden Cove first to test the procedures. Once that makes the first few people and I have a good sense and can implement any lessons learned, I'll start the sign-up thread here and off we go!

Rough timeline then is about 2-3 weeks for official sign ups here (or you can PM me your address now) with the box first leaving in about 3-4 weeks.

I understand that taking pictures, etc is difficult (there can be alternate means for those without cameras), but as has been mentioned, I am most interested in ensuring that EVERYONE along the recipient list has a fair and fun opportunity. If someone has an alternate idea for tracking that would be less tedious, please PM me. I'm all ears :)