My very first...

Buying, Selling, or Trading LEGO or Castle related items
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

My very first...

Post by AK_Brickster »

Today I bought my very first copy of the Medevial Market Village!
I also got a whole case of 1x4 light gray bricks (first case purchase) and the Spartan and evil dwarf collectable figs (first series 5 purchases). Needless to say, I was giddy as a school girl walking out of the store. :D
(I'm also quite sure that I've dried up my Lego budget for the rest of the year, lol)

The only problem now is that I'm going on an 11 day trip to Alaska Friday night, so I won't get a chance to touch them until I get back! Sadness :cry:

Anyway, just had to share my happiness with friends. :)
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
jediknight219
Freeman

Re: My very first...

Post by jediknight219 »

How many is in a case?
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

jediknight219 wrote:How many is in a case?
I was told approx 1300. The case costs $70, so that's less than $0.054 per piece (before tax). Waaaay cheaper than even Bricklink. :)
jediknight219
Freeman

Post by jediknight219 »

So... How would one acquire a case of light gray 1x2 tiles? The nearest Lego store to me is 2 hours away, but that's better than it used to be.
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

AK_Brickster wrote:
jediknight219 wrote:How many is in a case?
I was told approx 1300. The case costs $70, so that's less than $0.054 per piece (before tax). Waaaay cheaper than even Bricklink. :)
Huh-- I haven't bought a case from PAB in a long time-- back in 2003, I bought a case of 1x2 bricks, and it had 4812 bricks in it, although I think it was more expensive (I seem to remember $120 or $160, but I'm not sure)

DaveE
Elbadar
Artisan

Post by Elbadar »

I'm sure it's simple but, how do you buy a case? My local lego store is just the usual PAB display, do they have more saleable items in the back?
Back to the front!
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

jediknight219 wrote:So... How would one acquire a case of light gray 1x2 tiles? The nearest Lego store to me is 2 hours away, but that's better than it used to be.
Your store has to carry them before you can get a case. Ask an associate the next time you are in if they are planning on ordering whatever part you're interested in in the near future. If they know that they'll be getting some soon, ask them for a date when you can come in to buy a box of the part. If they have unopened boxes in the back (which is what they use to stock the wall) they can sell it to you. The important thing is to get there within a day or two of the part arriving to ensure that they still have sealed boxes available. Once they're open, they can't sell it.

In my case, I asked a guy who works there who is also a member of my LUG if they were going to get any light gray 1x4s anytime soon. He gave me a date, I called in the day after they were delivered to confirm availability, and then went down and picked it up. It's kind of a crap-shoot though, since you never know what they're going to have on order for the wall. If I could get a case of 1x2 light gray tiles, I would be soooooo happy, but the chances of them getting any of those soon is probably a long shot.

Hope that helps!
soccerkid6
Admin
Admin

Post by soccerkid6 »

Wish I had a Lego store nearby, I think the closest one is like 6 hours away, not quite worth it :(
Nice find though. I'll have to tell my brothers if they ever go to another Lego store (they didn't take the trip to go to a Lego store, they were visiting friends and brought me and my little brothers 2 large cups of bricks for a little gift)to see if they have any unopened cases.
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Brickbuilt: http://www.brickbuilt.org/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacsnyder/
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

I should point out that the cost efficiency per piece varies greatly on the size of the brick/element. For example, the 1x4 has about 1300 per box (allegedly. I'll count after I get back from my trip), but a 2x4 only has 650/box and bigger pieces will have even fewer than that. Small elements are where you really score per piece. I imagine a case of something like the 1x1 trans-red plates that they had there (assuming they come in the same size box) or the 1x2 tiles mentioned earlier would be fractions of a penny each by the case.

Your best value always will come with smaller pieces, whether you buy by the cup or by the case.
soccerkid6
Admin
Admin

Post by soccerkid6 »

That is definitely very true and something to remember. Not very likely that I will be getting either of those anytime soon though, unfortunately. :(
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Brickbuilt: http://www.brickbuilt.org/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacsnyder/
Redav
Artisan

Post by Redav »

AK_Brickster wrote:The only problem now is that I'm going on an 11 day trip to Alaska Friday night, so I won't get a chance to touch them until I get back! Sadness :cry:
You call that a problem??? I'd love to get to Alaska!

Anyway, well done. I'm after a MMV too (or more) but I can't see myself getting one anytime soon :(
Team Jesus

[url=http://www.brickset.com/search/?ownedBy=redav]My Brickset List[/url]
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/redavthe1st/]My Flickr Photostream[/url]
theboywarrior
Steward

Post by theboywarrior »

Congrats, Brickster! I love the MMV too, but, then again, who doesn't? :lol:
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen2.bmp[/img]
Eklund
Man-At-Arms

Post by Eklund »

Congrats on all the newly acquired lego, and thanks for all the info on case purchasing.
You would rather be building right now.
ImageImage
My Flickr
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

theboywarrior wrote:Congrats, Brickster! I love the MMV too, but, then again, who doesn't? :lol:
Eklund wrote:Congrats on all the newly acquired lego, and thanks for all the info on case purchasing.
Thanks for the congrats guys, and I'm always happy to share resources with everyone. I'm really enjoying becoming a contributing member to the community. :)
Now if only I had more time to build! (a common problem among many of us, I'm sure :P)
Fraslund
Robin Goodfellow

Post by Fraslund »

Congratz sir!

I love the MMV such a fun build! I just purchased the Imperial flagship and man that was an amazing build. I think its my favorite so far besides the MOCs of course lol.

I would love to do a bulk purchase at some point, but its so hard picking just one element!