A way to find Romans

Buying, Selling, or Trading LEGO or Castle related items
Medieval Guy
Squire

A way to find Romans

Post by Medieval Guy »

I came up with an idea to quickly identify Romans! I haven't tried it yet, but I think it'll work. All you have to do is fold the polybag horizontally, unfold it, and fold it vertically. The length of the spear should prevent you from folding it all the way in one of the directions. What do you guys think? Also, if anyone tries it, let me know if it works!
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/70980]MOCpages[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Re: A way to find Romans

Post by architect »

This thread is best in the Buy Sell Trade forum. I will move it there.

Ben
Handar
Archer

Post by Handar »

Having spent a couple of hours (or more) feeling through bags, I don't think this will overly successful. There is a lot of 'stuff' in each bag, including the base and the instruction packet. These will make it difficult to fold; you'll have to first get everything down to the bottom (or top) half of the bag first, and then you'll need to get everything over to the left (or right) half next. Doing so is going to take some time, and you will run the risk that as you move everything around you change the orientation of the spear.

I've found that if I'm only looking for Romans the process of elimination is very simple. As soon as you feel a piece that cannot be part of a Roman pack, you can move on. So, for example, feeling a 2x2 slope, 3-length bar, large hair, or anything small (e.g., genie's lamp, minotaur's horns) means that the pack does not contain a Roman and can be left aside. Working with this plan, I've been able to make my way through a box pretty quickly.

Of course, you're free to do whatever you like and to follow any method you choose. This one, however, has worked for me.
Medieval Guy
Squire

Post by Medieval Guy »

Handar wrote:Having spent a couple of hours (or more) feeling through bags, I don't think this will overly successful. There is a lot of 'stuff' in each bag, including the base and the instruction packet. These will make it difficult to fold; you'll have to first get everything down to the bottom (or top) half of the bag first, and then you'll need to get everything over to the left (or right) half next. Doing so is going to take some time, and you will run the risk that as you move everything around you change the orientation of the spear.
I don't think you'd have to move the parts. Shouldn't they shift when you bend the bag? That's why I think this will work. All the parts except the spear should be able to move out of the way.

Your method sounds good too. I'll certainly try that. The beauty of your method is that you can use it on any minifig that you want!
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

I have not used the folding technique but the spear is the accessory I feel for to confirm a Roman. The shaft and then the bendy tip are the easiest thing to find when feeling.
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

In my experience the shield is easier to find.

I don't think the "bag-bending"-technique will work very well, there's too much stuff in each bag.
ACPin
Reeve

Post by ACPin »

Handar wrote: -snip-
I've found that if I'm only looking for Romans the process of elimination is very simple. As soon as you feel a piece that cannot be part of a Roman pack, you can move on. So, for example, feeling a 2x2 slope, 3-length bar, large hair, or anything small (e.g., genie's lamp, minotaur's horns) means that the pack does not contain a Roman and can be left aside. Working with this plan, I've been able to make my way through a box pretty quickly.

Of course, you're free to do whatever you like and to follow any method you choose. This one, however, has worked for me.
Add the odd piece for the skirt (Liberty, Flamenco dancer) to that list.

After the elimination, I'd always feel for the bulkiest bag (only the minotaur, dwarve and Roman helmet) and then feel for the spear or shield to get the Roman soldier. It takes me less than 15 minutes to get through a newly opened box which is how I've gotten that many Roman soldiers. :sly:

AC
Kosh
Foot Soldier

Post by Kosh »

Right, that sounds like a good plan, unless you also want some of the 'figs with less bulky items as well. I'm personally after a few more robots, and about 8 to 10 more aliens and as many Highland Warriors and Romans as I can discern. I've only just started my hunt the other day but have 15 of the 16 designs but I was able to hit up a newly set display so it wasn't picked over yet. I don't foresee using the bending method myself as it tends to be easier to pick out the shields since I'm going for both the types that have such in this wave.
Build? I merely Acquire atm.
Knight Man
Journeyman

Post by Knight Man »

Kosh wrote:Right, that sounds like a good plan, unless you also want some of the 'figs with less bulky items as well. I'm personally after a few more robots, and about 8 to 10 more aliens and as many Highland Warriors and Romans as I can discern. I've only just started my hunt the other day but have 15 of the 16 designs but I was able to hit up a newly set display so it wasn't picked over yet. I don't foresee using the bending method myself as it tends to be easier to pick out the shields since I'm going for both the types that have such in this wave.
I was at TRU and I found three Romans but I decided to wait till the next day to buy them and I came back and they were restocked so after feeling about 20 bags all I found were a bunch of Classic Aliens, a few Mechanics , Skateboard Girls, and Robots, but No Romans, Cowboys, or Highlanders :( . ~KnightMan~
[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8475/8406300705_86b2d80f86_m.jpg[/img] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/76575933@N02/]My Flickr[/url] [url=https://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-The_Creator]My sets[/url]
Kosh
Foot Soldier

Post by Kosh »

I made co-worker happy with a robot and found the last two a retired co-worker was looking for for her grandson while I was going thru a display looking for anything that carries a shield, a second robot for myself and every alien I could find. Also helped a lil kid and his mom get bandit and another NOT duplicate-NOT leprechan (I've forgotten which he went 'I want that to') as well. Also amused some folks whom had seen me there the day before feeling my way thru the display looking for specific 'figs.
Either of the Warriors it's usually the shield that what I notice from it, Aliens I confirm with the head but also use the the gun/shaft (I rule out Pink Spacer Girl via the helmet). At this point if I get a Skirt brick, it goes right aside, as do any with the bandanna. I've got my pair of robot so when i hit the bracket for the back/key into the rejects it goes as well. Other similar clues for the rest but I've got my set and am looking for duplicates. Of course now I have my fullset I'm being more of an opportunistic bag feeler than than obsessed must find more to check, I've not gotten more than a dozen of any particular 'fig from any of the various series so I'm not strip mining whole towns for my fix either.

Oh if I see them and want them, I buy them at that time, I KNOW I cannot count on the 'figs (or other sets) to always be there tomorrow.
Build? I merely Acquire atm.
rboettcherjr
Peasant

Post by rboettcherjr »

The spear is by far the easiest piece of the Roman to confirm. Usually when I hunt, I look specifically for the shaft. Usually I get my hopes up and throw it back because its an alien or space lady!
Hayden.
Reeve

Post by Hayden. »

Medieval Guy wrote:I came up with an idea to quickly identify Romans! I haven't tried it yet, but I think it'll work. All you have to do is fold the polybag horizontally, unfold it, and fold it vertically. The length of the spear should prevent you from folding it all the way in one of the directions. What do you guys think? Also, if anyone tries it, let me know if it works!
While this works, you can bend the spear which is very possibly and would ruin the whole figure.
Knight Man wrote:
Kosh wrote:Right, that sounds like a good plan, unless you also want some of the 'figs with less bulky items as well. I'm personally after a few more robots, and about 8 to 10 more aliens and as many Highland Warriors and Romans as I can discern. I've only just started my hunt the other day but have 15 of the 16 designs but I was able to hit up a newly set display so it wasn't picked over yet. I don't foresee using the bending method myself as it tends to be easier to pick out the shields since I'm going for both the types that have such in this wave.
I was at TRU and I found three Romans but I decided to wait till the next day to buy them and I came back and they were restocked so after feeling about 20 bags all I found were a bunch of Classic Aliens, a few Mechanics , Skateboard Girls, and Robots, but No Romans, Cowboys, or Highlanders :( . ~KnightMan~
Why did'nt you buy them? it would make sense.
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Hayden. wrote:While this works, you can bend the spear which is very possibly and would ruin the whole figure.
Bend it? What are you doing to these packages? :shock: I would hate to be the guy buying CFMs after you have been through the box. :wink:
Medieval Guy
Squire

Post by Medieval Guy »

You could bend it gently . Just stop when you feel resistance? I haven't actually tried this though.
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

I found a couple of Romans today at Target and finding the spear was pretty simple without having to fold the bag.
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!