Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

I need a little help

Discussion of photography, editing and publishing techniques

I need a little help

Postby Duke_Dave » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:12 pm

HI, I recently signed up for Brickself but I have some problems. I am able to sign into my account but when I click the 'Add to folder' button nothing happens. I've tried e-mailing them at webmaster but could not get any responce- can any of you help, thanks in advance,

Dave
User avatar
Duke_Dave
Reeve
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:39 pm
Location: KANSAS

Postby Bricksidge » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:42 am

I don't believe there is a button/link labeled "Add to Folder"....

Maybe thats your trouble, clicking on invisible buttons and all...
User avatar
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:38 am
Location: Northeast Ohio

Postby Duke_Dave » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:35 am

HAHA :roll: .....there was a mistake on my part though the button is 'Add a folder' not 'add to folder', but still this doesnt help me any how do you add to your account I can't seem to find anywhare to upload my images at.


Dave
User avatar
Duke_Dave
Reeve
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:39 pm
Location: KANSAS

Postby Glencaer » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:07 pm

Duke_Dave wrote:HAHA :roll: .....there was a mistake on my part though the button is 'Add a folder' not 'add to folder', but still this doesnt help me any how do you add to your account I can't seem to find anywhare to upload my images at.


Dave


Are you using the most updated version of your browser? Other than that, BrickShelf has said they had some database problems recently.. but otherwise, it sounds like a technic issue, not a user issue.

-lenyusan
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
User avatar
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed
Marquis d'Krakhed
 
Posts: 920
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:44 pm
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Postby rogue27 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:10 pm

Duke_Dave wrote:HAHA :roll: .....there was a mistake on my part though the button is 'Add a folder' not 'add to folder', but still this doesnt help me any how do you add to your account I can't seem to find anywhare to upload my images at.

Dave


Add a folder creates an empty folder on the server. If you click on that folder, it will show you all of the pictures inside it. (currently none) While inside the folder, there will be an "Upload" option.

Hope this helps.

Rocco
User avatar
rogue27
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:14 am
Location: The Icy North

Postby Duke_Dave » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:19 pm

[/quote]
Add a folder creates an empty folder on the server. If you click on that folder, it will show you all of the pictures inside it. (currently none) While inside the folder, there will be an "Upload" option.

Hope this helps.

Rocco[/quote]

Ok. thanks I was able to make a folder this time where as last night nothing would happen.But now when I upload something nothing shows up in the folder. Is this because of their tech. problems or do they moderate it first before it show up or what?

Dave
User avatar
Duke_Dave
Reeve
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:39 pm
Location: KANSAS

Postby Sir Terrance » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:51 pm

When you are logged in, you should be able to see all you files on, but it takes a day or so for it to be moderated for the public to see.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/galle ... hebrickbin
User avatar
Sir Terrance
Councilor
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:07 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Bruce N H » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:20 pm

Here's the general procedure:

Log in to your gallery, either by typing in your userid and password on the front page or by clicking "login" in the upper right and doing this.

Create folders by choosing the "add a folder" option. You will be asked to choose at least one of several options (e.g. "My Own Creation" or "Castle"), give your folder a name and a description (warning, some characters don't work, such as no spaces in a folder name or no slashes or exclamation points--your basic alphanumerics work fine). You can also create subfolders in your folders, or subfolders inside of the subfolders, etc.

Once you are in a folder, click "upload". You should go to a screen that has a window to type and buttons saying "browse", "upload", and "clear". Click "browse", and find and choose the image on your computer. Once the name of the file is in the window, click the "upload" button. You should see a window saying something like "please wait while thumbnaile is generated", and then you should be kicked back to your folder, but this time the image should be there. Remember that only certain types of files are accepted (e.g. .jpg, .gif, .bmp, .txt files). Some are automatically rejected (e.g. .html). Your image is not at this point available to the general public, though. That part will wait until after the Brickshelf admin (Kevin or an assistant) certifies that it is okay (this was in response to someone posting pornography there a year ago). Before a folder is moderated, you will be able to see it in your gallery, but there will be a box around it. That box will go away once the folder has been okayed and it is available to the public.

Bruce
User avatar
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium
Precentor of the Scriptorium
 
Posts: 6717
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:11 pm
Location: Middle Zealand

Postby Duke_Dave » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:29 pm

Bruce N H wrote:Here's the general procedure:

Log in to your gallery, either by typing in your userid and password on the front page or by clicking "login" in the upper right and doing this.

Create folders by choosing the "add a folder" option. You will be asked to choose at least one of several options (e.g. "My Own Creation" or "Castle"), give your folder a name and a description (warning, some characters don't work, such as no spaces in a folder name or no slashes or exclamation points--your basic alphanumerics work fine). You can also create subfolders in your folders, or subfolders inside of the subfolders, etc.

Once you are in a folder, click "upload". You should go to a screen that has a window to type and buttons saying "browse", "upload", and "clear". Click "browse", and find and choose the image on your computer. Once the name of the file is in the window, click the "upload" button. You should see a window saying something like "please wait while thumbnaile is generated", and then you should be kicked back to your folder, but this time the image should be there. Remember that only certain types of files are accepted (e.g. .jpg, .gif, .bmp, .txt files). Some are automatically rejected (e.g. .html). Your image is not at this point available to the general public, though. That part will wait until after the Brickshelf admin (Kevin or an assistant) certifies that it is okay (this was in response to someone posting pornography there a year ago). Before a folder is moderated, you will be able to see it in your gallery, but there will be a box around it. That box will go away once the folder has been okayed and it is available to the public.

Bruce


Thanks Bruce. I have been doing all this but for some reason its just not creating the thumbnails or posting the photos. I guess it's their problem. So thanks to you all that tried to help me. I've got it figured out I guess.

Ohh... one more thing, thier is a thing at the bottom that says 'Veiws' what is that about? how many people have cometheir or what?


Dave
User avatar
Duke_Dave
Reeve
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:39 pm
Location: KANSAS

Postby Lt. A.J.V. » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:47 pm

Hi Duke_Dave,

Don't worry,I have had this problem before.
I do have one question for you.
Do any of the pictures you are trying to load have spaces in between the name,here is a a exampe:Black Knight.

I hope this helps.
Lt. A.J.V.
Serf
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:22 pm
Location: The Sunshine State,U.S.A.

Postby Bruce N H » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:55 pm

You might also try hitting the "rescan" and see if that fixes the thumbnails. Or it might be due to the recent move. I'm going to upload some things today that got lost when Kevin changed servers (he could probably find the files, but it's easy enough to re-upload them), so you might try adding them again now (things seem to work fine again).

Yes, "views" counts the number of times that people have looked at an image. I've noticed that this doesn't kick in right away, though, so maybe there is some minimum number of views before Brickshelf starts counting?

Bruce
User avatar
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium
Precentor of the Scriptorium
 
Posts: 6717
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:11 pm
Location: Middle Zealand

Postby Duke_Dave » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:40 pm

Lt. A.J.V. wrote:Hi Duke_Dave,

Don't worry,I have had this problem before.
I do have one question for you.
Do any of the pictures you are trying to load have spaces in between the name,here is a a exampe:Black Knight.

I hope this helps.



Hi thanks for asking and I would have to look but I don't think they do.

And Bruce thanks for all your help, I did try the rscan button with no results.

Dave
User avatar
Duke_Dave
Reeve
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:39 pm
Location: KANSAS

Postby rogue27 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:39 pm

Bruce N H wrote:Yes, "views" counts the number of times that people have looked at an image. I've noticed that this doesn't kick in right away, though, so maybe there is some minimum number of views before Brickshelf starts counting?


My educated guess:
The "views" is a static number, so you will not see it change when you visit a page. However, each page view is recorded somewhere, and every N hours the server runs a script which updates the number of views displayed on all pages. I believe it is sometime around Midnight, so if a page says "Views: 250" and has 150 views during the day, it will then say "Views: 400" after the midnight update. This is quite similar to how eBay updates their listings every 4 hours.
User avatar
rogue27
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:14 am
Location: The Icy North


Return to Publishing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest