Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

iBricks

Discussion of photography, editing and publishing techniques

Postby wunztwice » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:54 am

Loneranger wrote:I do hope you actually read the screenshots I took the time to compile. I can't see how anyone would side with people like that, but that's just me...


I did. And I tried to come accross as fair as I could, to both parties, without favortism. My point was that the perpetuation of the argument is still filtering thoguhout the LEGO community on the web, and its affecting the CC community. I was hoping that my point would motivate folks to please thry and resolve this civily and privately, not in a public thread on a prominent site.

That's all, no offence was meant.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? My Bricklink

My Flickr!
My Brickshelf!(not updated...)
<><
User avatar
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett
 
Posts: 2656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:33 pm
Location: Eastern Oregon

Postby Loneranger » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:16 am

wunztwice wrote:
Loneranger wrote:I do hope you actually read the screenshots I took the time to compile. I can't see how anyone would side with people like that, but that's just me...


I did. And I tried to come accross as fair as I could, to both parties, without favortism. My point was that the perpetuation of the argument is still filtering thoguhout the LEGO community on the web, and its affecting the CC community. I was hoping that my point would motivate folks to please thry and resolve this civily and privately, not in a public thread on a prominent site.

That's all, no offence was meant.


No offence was taken. I respect your opinion and agree it should not have come over here, alas I felt since more and more people were adding to the discussion about something going on, I felt the need to post the link to the blog where it expresses my experience on iBricks along with some other information from others who feel the same way.

Lonesy
User avatar
Loneranger
Landlord
 
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:31 pm
Location: TN

Postby Lord_Of_The_LEGO » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:45 am

If you had felt this issue shouldn't be brought over to CC, you wouldn't have posted here in the first place, loneranger.

If this thread continues to devolve into the alleged activities at iBricks (which I have yet to see any good evidence on), I will lock this thread.

Please to try to keep this thread focused on what it was meant to be: welcoming a new LEGO fan site into the LEGO community.
User avatar
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells
Earl of Wells
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:20 pm
Location: Eureka, CA

Postby JoshWedin » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:54 am

I'm right there with Nathan. This needs to stop now.

On-topic, I am glad to see more forums. The ones that generate members will last and the others will shrivel up and die. So the more, the better, as far as I am concerned.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

Image The Brothers Brick
User avatar
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre
Chevalier de Chèvre
 
Posts: 5642
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:35 pm
Location: Pondering what you are pondering

Postby Tedward » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:44 am

Gong_Of_The_Farmer wrote:Please to try to keep this thread focused on what it was meant to be: welcoming a new LEGO fan site into the LEGO community.

Hmmm, that is an interesting interpretation. :?

See, what I read was someone not really a long time CC'er create an account and advertise a new forum they created.

It was advertising. Reasonable, targeted advertising that I don't object to - unlike adult sites, voip, Nigerian banking opportunites etc - but advertising nonetheless.

J1A3L5 wrote:Why can't we all work towards building a more cohesive & friendly community, than work towards further separating it?

See John, what you wrote is my concern as well.However, a more cohesive and friendly community is NOT built by splintering further. It would be built by serving a previously under-represented community.

I still have not seen a coherant declaration of the community or theme this new forum serves. I don't honestly care what community or theme they serve other than I would hope they would not simply duplicate what is out there already and they would be honest if they are a faith-based community.

Oh, and Josh., sorry to keep this going. I'll try to stop now cause I have nothing personal against the creator and I sure don't want CC to be seen as a hotbed of dissent (I post to JLUG for that. 8) )
Image
User avatar
Tedward
Squire
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:42 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Postby Bruce N H » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:24 am

Hey,

Just as an aside, unlike some other forums, CC has never taken any hard line against advertising LEGO websites.

I went looking around the Legoverse for this conversation that wunztwice said was on "several LEGO forums and blogs". I found it here, on JLUG, and on LR's blog - are there other sites? Anyway, I appreciate what you (Tedward) said on JLUG about YALFs and in some ways I agree. There are tons of forums out there that people start up for frivolous reasons. That said, I'm not all that bothered by that. I compare this to relationships in real life. We don't gather everyone we know into one huge room and talk (compare to Lugnet); instead we meet with people here and there in small groups at work, in the family, church, school, whatever (compare to a myriad of specialized forums). Any social grouping, grown sufficiently large, will tend to splinter into smaller subsets. Many smaller forums are basically a few friends chatting together and never grow beyond that. If so, they won't have any real impact on the community as a whole. Some will simply die off, again, with no impact on the larger community. Others will find their niche and grow into major sites, and will ultimately grow the community.

BTW, there is some good discussion in these threads on the multiplicty of LEGO sites, on the Zerostuds forum and on the TLG forum.

Bruce
User avatar
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium
Precentor of the Scriptorium
 
Posts: 6542
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:11 pm
Location: Middle Zealand

Postby lego2000 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:17 pm

What you don't seem to realize is the ignorance of a lot of the members, as shown by this AIM message I received. They seem to think that I am a "different" person because of my religion.
Image

-l2k-
User avatar
lego2000
Apprentice
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:32 am

Postby AuldDragon » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:07 pm

I think I'll stick to sites that don't censor different viewpoints simply because they might offend some of the close-minded regulars. Case in point: The evolution thread that lead in part to some of this discussion has now been deleted, despite already being locked. Locked I can understand, even if I disagree with the reasoning (since when has calling someone on an ignorant statement been namecalling?).

Regardless of your personal views, the Evolution thread was quite civilized (the worst that happened were two instances of calling people ignorant for their viewpoints), and, if nothing else, gave people an opportunity to explore other points of view on a subject that they might not be able to get otherwise. Deleting the thread serves only to censor one side of an argument for no good reason, and that I can neither understand nor tolerate. If that is the modus operandi of the forum, please do everyone a favor and say such upfront.

Jeff
User avatar
AuldDragon
Gong Farmer
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:24 pm

Postby Ghost » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:35 pm

lego2000 wrote:What you don't seem to realize is the ignorance of a lot of the members, as shown by this AIM message I received. They seem to think that I am a "different" person because of my religion.
Image

-l2k-

And what member of iBricks did he have this conversation with?
-Ghost
User avatar
Ghost
Gong Farmer
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:18 pm

Postby lego2000 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:07 pm

Ghost wrote:
lego2000 wrote:What you don't seem to realize is the ignorance of a lot of the members, as shown by this AIM message I received. They seem to think that I am a "different" person because of my religion.
Image

-l2k-

And what member of iBricks did he have this conversation with?


skel, who I was recently informed of as being banned. But look at Lord_angellos' post in the religion topic, before it was deleted like my evolution topic was.
Image

-l2k-
User avatar
lego2000
Apprentice
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:32 am

Postby Lord_Of_The_LEGO » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:23 pm

Two strikes. One more and this thread dies.


Don't judge a forum/site by a few members, folks. Classic-Castle has had it's share of mishaps, misunderstandings and flamewars. One member's ignorance does not equal one site's bias.
User avatar
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells
Earl of Wells
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:20 pm
Location: Eureka, CA

Postby Skeletonheroe123 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:26 pm

Ok, so what if I had no earthly idea it was so unsocial.


Well, Lego, don't say I was banned like that, or it would appear as if I was banned for that reason,. no, I was banend for completely different reasons.


And iB is not a terrible site, it is the BEST site I have ever been on in my life.
Skeletonheroe123
Gong Farmer
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:19 pm

Postby ottoatm » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:06 pm

I like the looks of i-bricks - the graphics are well done and the idea is a good one - a LEGO site that aims to cater primarily to children who want to talk about their hobby is a good thing, and even better if parents don't have to worry so much about what is being read.

Nice idea conductorjoe, hope things improve in the future, and I'll keep stopping by from time to time to see what's being discussed~






(I refuse to acknowledge the other garbage in this thread~)
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot!
CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild
User avatar
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 3069
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:52 am
Location: New York

Postby AuldDragon » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:13 pm

Gong_Of_The_Farmer wrote:Two strikes. One more and this thread dies.


Don't judge a forum/site by a few members, folks. Classic-Castle has had it's share of mishaps, misunderstandings and flamewars. One member's ignorance does not equal one site's bias.


s/few/most. If you'd seen the Evolution thread and some of the others, you'd not have made this mistake. :P

Jeff
User avatar
AuldDragon
Gong Farmer
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:24 pm

Postby Sir Kohran » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:14 pm

Could someone just close this thread, please? It's become a mess, and the amount of negativity here on both sides is terrible. Can we just stop this before it gets any worse?

- Matt
User avatar
Sir Kohran
Sheriff
 
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:24 am

PreviousNext

Return to Publishing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest