13%
What's Classic Space?
7%

Total votes: 15

lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Classic Space anyone?

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

My Grandmother has a fair sized LEGO collection dating roughly from the 1960s to the early eighties. (It was among this I discoverd the Knight's Castle lauching me into the CC arena) While I was busy reconstructing the aforementioned set I put two and two together and a month later (About now) I have in my hands an almost complete Galaxy Explorer!

Now I'm kinda intersted in Space (hey - the set is very attractive)

Anyone else here?
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Classic Space was my first LEGO love. My first minifig set was in 1978, Rocket Launcher:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/462_1
Followed by several other of the sets (basically each birthday and Christmas over the next three or four years I'd get one) from the original Space line. I actually never got any Castle sets as a kid, even though much of my reading material was Castle related (Lord of the Rings, Narnia, King Arthur, etc.). I saw the pictures of the Yellow Castle in the catalog and thought it looked cool, but I was too into the Space sets to follow another line.
I only actually got into Castle LEGO recently. In 1998, Shell gas stations sold sets like this for under $2 as a promotion:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/2538
I was excited by the minifigs with the more complex faces (I had only known the classic smiley). I especially liked the Castle minifigs and their weapons. This led to E-bay to find more LEGO sets, especially Castle. Then I went to rec.toys.lego to find more LEGO fans. This led to lugnet, brickshelf, bricklink, construction of my own website, sporadic attendance of my local LUG and now I'm a full fledged AFOL.

Bruce
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Yes, I like Classic Space. In fact I like only Classic Space. I didn't like those sets when I was a kid, though. Those transyellow glasses always looked too used and "yellowed" to me. Later on I hated the "open" form of the spaceships (since Futuron at least). An astronaut would be sucked into the outer space immediately through all those gaps and holes in the hull when the ship leaves the atmosphere of the planet...
Bruce N H wrote:Classic Space was my first LEGO love. My first minifig set was in 1978, Rocket Launcher:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/462_1
Being kind of a LEGO-set-taxonomist and weisenheimer: Are you sure the Classic Space line was released already in 1978 in the US? I know the Lugnet databes says it and I don't think it's impossible (there are still Space figs with stickers instead of printed patterns as it was common for 1978's figs.) But in the US catalogue for 1978 the Space sets are not mentioned:
1978 US Cataloge at Brickshelf

This led to E-bay to find more LEGO sets, especially Castle. Then I went to rec.toys.lego to find more LEGO fans. This led to lugnet, brickshelf, bricklink, construction of my own website, sporadic attendance of my local LUG and now I'm a full fledged AFOL.
Hehe, and this lead to an always low bank account :-)

Bye
Jojo

LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

when I was a kid - no jokes please :D - I collected both space and castle. probably more castle than space, but since I was hospital bound for most of my youth, I got enough of both to keep me immensly happy.
My first space set that I really remember, (though I know I had others before it) was the command center 6970. I had been into lego for a few years by this point and even had a few small sets ( a boxy sort of rover comes to mind) but this was my first "big" set. I still have pieces from that set.
thanks for the trip down memory lane... :lol:
LF
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I always think that Classic Space Lego were nice, but not enough for my taste. I had only few sets and only smaller sets. Some of them were buy because they were on a package where there was castle sets (like 1974, for exemple).They are better than the newer line.

As Jojo, I like only Classic Space. But I didn't like them enough to buy one. I'm a purist of Lego Castle from 1984-1990. :lol:
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

I think I like CS mainly to the Galaxy Explorer itself. It is an awesome set. Of course all the missing pieces are the hard to find valuble ones but it still looks pretty good.

Anyone have $30 to finish it? :P