Splitting Sides

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Dragon Master
Merchant

Splitting Sides

Post by Dragon Master »

A few of my torsos (mostly the older ones where they are not reinforced, they don't have that "X" thing when you look at the bottom of the torso) have sides that are splitting. They crack on the sides startig at the bottom, and moving up to the top. I hate the cracks. They don't stick to the legs very well (especially when the legs are connecte to something). Also they make the arms loose to. This sometimes happens with the arms of the minifigs too. What should I do? Tape? Glue?

Bye,

The Dragon Master
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Jojo
Master

Re: Splitting Sides

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Yes... this problem is well known.

Especially the very old torsos from 1978 to approx 1982 are vulnareble to splits. And it always hits the torsos with the best looking patterns :-( (The bat lord torso in the pic is intact.)
I hate the cracks. They don't stick to the legs very well (especially when the legs are connecte to something). Also they make the arms loose to. This sometimes happens with the arms of the minifigs too. What should I do? Tape? Glue?
Tape looks awful. And glueing doesn't help much as long as you just glue along the actual split. Each time when you move the legs into a new position (sitting, walking etc), the glued split will breake open again. You'd have to glue the legs into the torso. That means you have to make a final decision on which trousers the minifig has to wear for the rest of his life. And how is he supposed to use the toilet?

Bye
Jojo

Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Thanks for the advice Jojo. Although both options seem negative. I guess I'll have to go lighter on the torsos.
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

The fact that only best looking torso are affect by cracks are simple to explain !!!

It's because people like them much and play much with them. They are more vulnerable. Bad looking torso stay in the bottom of the box, and are not played much !!
:lol:

P.S. This is not the "Murphy law", but the "usage law" (if someone know what is Murphy law).
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

I hate splitting torsos.
It's happened to me once on a classic space minifig.
This also goes hand in hand with snapped old style helmets and occasionally with the thin strap on the peasent cowl.