Fleur-de-lis knights ~ rub on transfers and castings!

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Recluce
Landlord

Fleur-de-lis knights ~ rub on transfers and castings!

Post by Recluce »

My newest set of knights using the Andrea rub-on transfers are finally done! Had to wait for a few molds and castings to come out as I wanted to showcase them.

With the new helm and shield from the MCN store, I decided to show them off. It's mostly testors paint and thick laquer. The armor is a standard kk2 armor cut down to imitate an earlier plate style, and because I hate those shoulder pads and flared pieces on the bottom. The barding has been brassoed (the clips were broken so I cut them off and sanded them smoothe), and then I used masking tape to get nice even lines when painting. The headdress is a white islanders plume painted gold. The clips have been cut off and the plume is permanently attached.

Group shot #1
A nice group shot, the lady wears a decal from Kaminoan and a black cast bun hairpiece.

Group shot #2
Just another nice shot.

Close-up of knight
The white old-fashioned hood is an arming cap, and is another casting of mine. Yes, a brand new product, and one that you all have been asking for for a very long time!

Men-at-arms with banner
I made a matching banner for this faction. It's the standard large yellow banner but I cut off about an inch of it so that it looked better. The men at arms have mostly standard equipment, helmets, capes, LA swords, and their shields and torsos have the rub-on decals. No painting this time, just a layer of laquer to get the transfer to adhere.

Pages
The pages I tried something new, a front and back tabard.
This involved cutting up 2 red capes each, and glung them together. That last step didn't go so well, and they are very fragile pieces. I'll have to imporve the design. The front is just a square of gold with the decal.

So, questions, comments, concerns?
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

These look neat. I am assuming the unusual colored parts are either castings, or from enlighten sets...

The page is a neat idea with the capes. I may have to come up with a purist way of making something simelar. They are often left out, so it's nice to see here.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

wunztwice wrote:These look neat. I am assuming the unusual colored parts are either castings, or from enlighten sets...
They are castings. I actually don't have any enlighten.
The page is a neat idea with the capes. I may have to come up with a purist way of making something simelar. They are often left out, so it's nice to see here.
Yeah, it's easy to just have the guy wear two capes, one front one back.
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

Great figs, Relcuse! Geez, you seriously blow me away when I look at these things. They are sooo awesome! I always am waiting to see what masterpeices you come up with next. I saw your sig before this and though she should do a post on this guy! Well, I guess you did, and with other great additions!

P.S. I can't wait to get ahold of some of those castings you are making! :wink:

In Christ,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
amadeus
Apprentice

Post by amadeus »

I think they look excellent, and a way better alternative to decals. Can you go further into detail the products you used for this? And also the whole rubbing deal.
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

Amadeus, I first used the rub-ons on another set of knights, full details in this topic.
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

very nice work, the red on gold works really well.
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

This knight looks really really nice. The red and gold and black work perfectly together, and it looks very realistic. I like the little additions on the fleur-de-lis.

The lady I don't like as much, she just looks too short. The pages are cool, but the yellow men-at-arms...hmm.

All in all, great stuff.

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
El Mariachi
Laborer

Post by El Mariachi »

Very nice, though perhaps a Dragon helmet feather could suit better.
"God is dead; but considering the state the species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche
armothe
Apprentice

Post by armothe »

I love the colors! Arming cap.....yum.

-A
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

smcginnis: The lady I purposefully made one plate shorter than the men.

mariachi: I actually hate those tall dragon plumes. They're way too tall, and as this 'faction' has nothing to do with dragons, I decided a regular plume worked best.

Armothe: Yeah, I know the hood is not perfect for an arming cap, but it gets the job done.
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

I really hate it when ppl wave their gr8 helms in my face! I want one so bad!

Anyway, WHOA! These look nice! I like the red and balck combination! Could you do that with black falcs?
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

Lord Nev wrote:I really hate it when ppl wave their gr8 helms in my face! I want one so bad!

Anyway, WHOA! These look nice! I like the red and balck combination! Could you do that with black falcs?
You mean could I make acustom black falcon using similar accessories like the great helm? Sure I could, might even do it as they're my favorites.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

This is absolutely awesome. It looks perfect. The colors match well, and the armor and shield mesh well.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.