MOC: Welcome to Brickmoor

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Wow!

Congratulations on a truly great MOC.
You said that this initially was a "remake" of the Black Falcon Fortress, right? Well, I think you can see the traces of the BFF, for example the gate house.

On the whole I'd say it's a very nice castle!

Joel.
I'm back, and so is Castle!
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

I'm gonna have to say that's one of the most beautiful MOCs I've ever seen. I especially love the details in the courtyard and interiors. I saved the entire gallery to my harddrive, I hope you don't mind :)
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Great castle BlueandWhite! I really like the details. I just wish I had that much gray. I also like the great hall, thosoe tile floors are cool.

I like the secret passageway, it's really neat.
Space rocks.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

That is an awesome (I really over-use that word on this site) castle!

I like the details and the LIFE! I mean, this MOC is just ALIVE!

My favorite parts are the tunel w/secret entrance, the mottled walls, and the angled wall.

Keep up the great work!

D-Man
Last edited by Mr. D on Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonesy
Villein

Post by jonesy »

Now that's some fine castle. I'm especially fond of the gratuitous use of arches on the interior. Bonus points for those extra drop-out drawbridge beams. The angled wall is simple enough, and has been done, but adds to it wonderfully nonetheless.

You shoulda included a link to the other gallery as well, it gives a better sense of where things are in relation to eachother.

I assume your previous castle was mulched for this one, otherwise i'd ask for a comparison shot.

In any case, you get the big-castle equivalent of The Stanley Cup...

For now. ;)
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Troy T. Moore wrote:Very nice to say the least. Some note worthy details are the "road apples" on the stable floor and the fact that all your flags are flying in the same direction :wink:

The secret passageways are neat, and I like your bridges. Very impressive.

There is ONE flag that is flying in the wrong direction :oops: . When taking my photographs, i knocked one of the knights over (the one heading to the stable). Origiinally, he was leaving the stables, and heading towards the castle. Accordingly, his flag is blowing in the wrong direction!

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1047264

I took several photos of this guy, but I forgot to adjust his banner. Oh well, such is life.
forseter3291 wrote:Great castle BlueandWhite! I really like the details. I just wish I had that much gray. I also like the great hall, thosoe tile floors are cool.

I like the secret passageway, it's really neat.

Thank you. Actually, one can never have enough gray. I don't have enough gray for my next castle. Guess its time to start saving.
jonesy wrote:I assume your previous castle was mulched for this one, otherwise i'd ask for a comparison shot.
Indeed, and this castle will undoubtedly be mulched for its successor. Such is the life of the lego brick :cry: . And alas, Lord Stanley shall not be going anywhere this year.

Sad times indeed...

Again, thank you all for your compliments.

Later,

Joel Midgley.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Compared to many others this looks a bit plain, but it is still my favorite castle! :wink:
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

The things that you people are capable of creating with Legos is amazing to me. I always enjoy sitting back and looking at some of the fantastic creations others are able to craft.

This is one of my favorites. It is a big castle with a lot of activity, it is very interesting to look at, and it is quite unique. This one stands tall with any other MOC, and is in an elite group.

Even though I've played with Lego bricks since the age of 4 or 5, and am now in my 20's, I somehow never aquired the ability to construct such great things. I attribute this to the fact that I have no foresight, which is why I always did poorly in art classes as well. I'd imagine that many of you who can construct such great buildings are also pretty good artists.

It is buildings like yours which give me hope that little by little, my building skills will improve and that someday I will be able to show the world a great piece of work like the one you have just shown us.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
James
Peasant

Post by James »

Wow O wow. Thats a great job. Big, solid, looks like it could stand a prolonged siege. People have pointed out its many merits so I'll just add which points I particularly like. I'm impressed by the colouring. I could never get the speckled brick patterns too look good, its why I always just use monotones on my castles :) . It looks great here however. The balcony looks great too, a nice architectural feature. Finally the detailing in the great hall. The checkerboard panels suit it perfectly. Nice work
James Stacey
------
www.minifig.co.uk
I'm a citizen of Legoland travellin' Incommunicado
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

Hi,

I was just wondering, do the black beams (I'm sure there's a technical term for these...) that support the chain in the drawbridge actually fit into the grooves in the castle wall? They look a bit too long to fit in the gaps...

Thanks,
-Bryan
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Gumby wrote:Hi,

I was just wondering, do the black beams (I'm sure there's a technical term for these...) that support the chain in the drawbridge actually fit into the grooves in the castle wall? They look a bit too long to fit in the gaps...

Thanks,
-Bryan
Unfortunately, they don't go all the way into the grooves... And I'm not sure of the proper term for them either.

The reason is that I actually use the weight of the bars to lower the drawbridge. If the bars ran completely vertical, the drawbridge wouldn't lower naturally. Lego simply doesn't weigh enough to bring those 'bars' any further up.

Still, the drawbridge does close quite nicely.

If anybody has any ideas on how to bring these bars nearly vertical, without impairing the opperation of the draw bridge, please tell me.

Again, I thank everyone for their comments.

Later.
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

Blueandwhite wrote:Still, the drawbridge does close quite nicely.

If anybody has any ideas on how to bring these bars nearly vertical, without impairing the opperation of the draw bridge, please tell me.
Oops I missed that pic...

I think if you made the bridge heavier, it might allow you to rely less on the weight of the beams. However, if the bridge and beams were perfectly perpendicular to the ground, it would be tough to get them to open without outside assistance...

Oh yeah, that's a wonderful MOC you have there. Tons of little details that the pictures only hint at. I wish I could see it in person! It will definitely play a role in inspiring me for my "big project" (which is still totally in my imagination)...

-Bryan
CAI
Journeyman

Post by CAI »

Very nice work, how long did that take to complete? 8)
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Cyin]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

I absolutely love this castle. This is exactly what the Lego castle theme is all about.

I must admit that it, that this castle is very inspirational for any up-and-coming castle builder. I think that it has set the bench-mark for my castle building style. I just wish that I had more grey bricks….(hmmm how can I get more grey bricks).
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Gorgeous! I'm glad g2 dug this up! This is just one of those great castles that remains in the collective memory of cc members (or at least me...)!
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><