Weekly Set Review: Knight's Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

I very much love this set... Not as a castle, but as an expander and such. I love the green flags, even thought they don't go with the Falcons, but still a great set.
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

I owned it when I was child (because the Lions Castle was too expensive???), and I liked it, espacially its prison. The "heavy" iron prison door was realistic, I still like it!

I don't think the red gate is built in bricks (the gate must be solid), I think rather it's granite! Maybe, painted stones (many castle were painted!). So, I have always thougt that this red gate was original but... ugly!

The green flags was the common BF's flags on 1984/1985, before blue. They aren't ugly, it's a color as another one, not less or better than blue.

This castle is a real castle (not like the BFF), a bit too small, but with a real prison, real towers, a drawbridge with its winch,... I love the shields on each tower!
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

TwoTonic Knight Wrote:
Can you change all the gray to sand red? I'd love to see that.
well I tried but for some reason the render made it more like light orange:

also tried this Dark Red:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=80317

also added Orange and Green as well

Enjoy
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Webrain wrote:TwoTonic Knight Wrote:
Can you change all the gray to sand red? I'd love to see that.
well I tried but for some reason the render made it more like light orange:
I was afraid you'd misunderstand the important part: change all the GRAY to sand red. As in the rest of the castle, not the gate. Or sand green, or...

But thanks for the other, anyway. :D
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

TwoTonic Knight Wrote:
I was afraid you'd misunderstand the important part: change all the GRAY to sand red. As in the rest of the castle, not the gate. Or sand green, or...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/irod/ ... allred.jpg

still looks orangy though, sorry did my best...
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

The original Black Falcon's castle...

One can tell that it came earlier on in the history of Castle by its limited selection of piece-types, but it is a solid and likeable design, with attractive colouration, and six figs. And it has the BFF beat on the number of shields!

Parts: 9/10
Playability: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 8/10
Design (then): 8/10
Design (now): 9/10
Nostalgia: 7.5/10

Overall Score: 8.25/10
Slobey
Foot Soldier

Post by Slobey »

Old thread but I just got this set off bricklink and I had to put in my 2c worth :)

This is amazing for a small set. The peice count is nothing like we get now days and it is well defended. The towers are an interesting solution in the days preceeding the castle wall corner. The dungeon gate looked a bit clunky and overdone in the instructions but 'in the plastic' it is well done. This set also netted me my first grilled helms and black plumes so it gets a big thumbs up for that alone

The thing I like about these older sets is thier modularity. My blacksmith shop clips right on the side and as jojo showed us its posible to create a large castle with only official sets joined together. I really miss that these days.

Then: 8/10 (came out the same year as 6080)
Now: 10/10
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has limits
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

This is a great set. When LEGO released this "new" castle range I was lucky enough to get both the crusader's castle & this one for Christmas when I was a child. Oh the memories! Even though the Crusader's castle was a much better model I always had a soft spot for this one. Great use of space for such a small size.

Some of my favourite aspects were the red winch inconspicously built into the gatehouse & the red of the gatehouse forming the image of a Falcon's head (although it took me a looooong time to realise this as a kid ;)) and the green flags. And if I remember correctly it had a neat dungeon with a brick-built door (strains to remember >.<) & a great assortment of minifigs for the size of the set. & black "visored" helmets! Although it took me a long time to appreciate the "new" helmets after the proper visors that were supplied with the classic castle sets from the late 70's.

One more thing - this thread is almost as old as the set! Well maybe in internet years ;)
jens
Lord

Post by jens »

This lovely little castle was the last castle from the golden castle-times I got. I never owned it as kid, but when I was an adult and I entered ebay it was again on my wanted-list. But with the internet I discoverd the Dark Forest theme. It was an US-only, so the little BF-castle has again to wait. But not so long. Again: it's lovely

regards,
jens
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Is this the second front page appearence for this set? And did I really miss it the first time? Ahh the old days. I remember when this came out, I was furious that the visors of 375 fame were gone in favor of a non-movable visor! Argh! Now of course, this set has a special place in my Lego heart. This was a medium sized set, something Lego doesn't build anymore. A shame. I had forgotten that this had green flags, very cool.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

First BF set I ever bought... great way to get into the BF too, I have to say. Nice, functional little castle that's almost crowded with men (well, you get the point). I also like the use of the red around the gate... I know it's a simple thiunk, but it just makes the castle feel a bit more... like an old castle to me. :)

Finally, of course, very well built, sturdy little set with lots of useful little parts. Although I don't part me sets out, I enjoy making other things with this castle for all the pieces it has with it.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

What can I say, it's a classic and for good reason. The construction is solid and uses alot of good parts. I recently got ahold of this set and it's fun to put together!

I would recomend it to anyone for a decent price.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

I love this castle. It really represents, to me, what a classic Lego castle is. It has lots of useful pieces, has lots of soldiers, and looks good. Also, it doesn't have huge gaping holes everywhere. It is perfect.

10/10

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Fenneke-Jose
Peasant

Post by Fenneke-Jose »

Well, I just got this set! :D
And I am very happy with it! 6 Black Falcon's, green flags, a lot of yellow and blue shields, a red gare and a prison. What else could you want???
In all honesty I have to admit that when I build it, the castle was smaller than I had expected. But in combination with the Black Falcon Fortress (6074) and the battering ram (6062), you have a nice and big castle!

Greetings,

José
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

To be honest I don´t understand what´s so brilliant about this. Yes, it has a great number of figs and it´s a great set partwise (before the era of the pre-fabs!) but the "castle" in itself is kinda ugly IMO. I mean, what´s with those red parts? And the green flags... But since it is a BF set from the "Golden era" I suppose one should just shout: Huzzah, let all the crappy sets of today look like this instead! :roll:

No offence but I think a lot of the appeal of these old sets are nostalgia but since it´s older than me I hardly feel nostalgic about it ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis