Can you bake sculpey with the lego piece head still attached

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
BlackKnight24
Villein

Can you bake sculpey with the lego piece head still attached

Post by BlackKnight24 »

Will it melt the lego piece? Any head plus the Scupley design on top of the head or covering it, will it melt it? I havent tried, Im just wondering if anyone has tried it yet and had there lego melt on them within a certain time frame. Thnx in advance.
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

I wouldn't advise baking a minifig head, because of how long you'd have to bake it for the sculpey to cure. It would get way too hot, for too long.

Submersing the piece in boiling water, using a large spoon or ladel, for 15-20 seconds at a time (say 2 -3 times total) - much better, and it won't damage the head. Well, other than it being a little hot to handle for a minute.
thecustomizerwithoutfear
Peasant

Post by thecustomizerwithoutfear »

Use an embossing heat tool. It will not melt the head.
daggerblood
Laborer

Post by daggerblood »

Baking a lego head with a sculpey hairpiece will not exactly 'melt' the head, but it will warp it. Blasterman, about boiling-can you take the headpiece off after boiling?
[url=http://nikolaus.xtronics.com]My website[/url]
~Nik
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

You should check out this tutorial by Alan(Peter_Nix) over at MCN.
It's a great guide to creating custom headgear from sculpey:

http://www.minifigcustomizationnetwork.com/forum/3473

Hope this helps you out a bit BlackKnight.
If you need any sculpey tips just contact me, I should be able to help you out with most any problem you are having.

~Amanda
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

Blasterman, about boiling-can you take the headpiece off after boiling?
Depending on how complicated of a piece it is, sure - but let it dry completely first. Any remaining water between the head and your piece can sometimes act like glue (suction), and make it difficult to get it off. Then again...it can fall right off too.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Be extremely careful if you biol it, though. I tried that once. and my pieces were warped. I think that the time they can be in the water depends on how old the piece is. New ones can stnad the heat longer, but I would not advise boiling older pieces.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Aragorn
Villein

will melt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Aragorn »

I did that once , :oops: and the lego turned to a slush pool :lol:

of corce, the oven was at 200 :lol:

Double-post deleted by Mod. Please refrain from double-posting. Use the "edit" button instead.
When spiderwebs unite, they can take down a lion.
plucky
Laborer

Post by plucky »

Blasterman wrote:
Blasterman, about boiling-can you take the headpiece off after boiling?
Depending on how complicated of a piece it is, sure - but let it dry completely first. Any remaining water between the head and your piece can sometimes act like glue (suction), and make it difficult to get it off. Then again...it can fall right off too.
I just worked with Sculpey for the first time the other night. Both sculpts that I boiled for the full time ON the head stuck fast to it, and it wasn't the water. Even after breaking half the hair off, the rest still stuck fast to it. I even used some olive oil on the head to help keep it free (which worked great up until I boiled it...)

If you're going to boil (I haven't tried the Hairdryer method, since I don't have one), I would suggest boiling it for the first 30-45 seconds on the head, and then carefully removing the piece. I'm guessing on the time, but I tried for 1:30 and found that to be a little too long. This gives the piece some time to START curing, but should leave it flexible enough to remove from the head before boiling it the rest of the time. This is pretty similar to the tutorial...

-plucky