Other types of houses?

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Other types of houses?

Post by Dragon Master »

Hello,

I've noticed that most of the house creations for civilians in the moc pages have been done in the tudor style. But if my memory serves me those woudn't have been common untill the Tudor dynasty, which was after the middle ages.

Accurate of not, they get a bit boring after seeing so so many.

So my question is what other types of houses where used by people (of all classes) during the middle ages? Stone? Wood? Brick?

Thanks,

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

There were also, i believe, thatch-roof houses, most houses were, of course, made of wood, and I beileve there were also sod houses.
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

Most were wattle and daub with thatched roofs.
pwnage
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Is there a difference between wattle and daub and Tudor?
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

Certainly, there is a difference. Wattle and daub is a way of building. A form of construction of a building. it consist of a mixture of wattle with mud or clay, and is used over a long period of time.

Tudor is (also) a architectural style, identifiable by the typical pointed arch. Late English Gothic.
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I dunno about anything historically realistic, but if I had enough Wild West-type timber pieces, I'd build a house using them and an black-sloped roof. It'd be a more transient, peasant-type hovel.

Again, I have no historical knowledge behind me, just an idea of what I thing would work.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Typically most wattle and daub structures would have been single story residences with very small stone foundations or none at all. Don't forget that dirt floors were very common. Wood and stone were expensive, most stone would have been stolen from burned out or abandoned castles. No glass windows and wooden shutters would have been common as well, glass was expensive. I have used tan plates and yellow plates for the roof of the few huts I have made. If you are making your Tudaor style homes with white brick, try using tan brick in place of the white on the wattle a daub huts, it makes them look dirtier.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

That is all correct what wlister wrote.
Also remember that these huts were small and mostly very low ceilinged. And that they had low doors and a few small (paneless) windows.
So, make them not too big in comparison with your castle, otherwise, the castle will allways look a little tiny
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

For my main character's house, I use the new Hagrid's Hut set with a completely remodeled interior (I need to do some work on the exterior too). It's more of a rural type house, so I wouldn't recommend it if you're building a big city. Still, it works pretty well for my purposes.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

You are probably totally correct, but Tudor houses are so very cool, and they are aesthetically pleasing to look at, as well as fun to build. And for most people they represent the medieval period instantly.
TastyBagel
Gong Farmer

Post by TastyBagel »

Hey all, I'm totally new to the community, and even though this discussion looks old, I want to contribute in any way I can, so I'm going to add my two cents as a history major in college...

Basically, wlister is dead on with lots of what he says. Most dwellings (even in "cities") in the middle ages were very primitive, utilizing dirt floors and whatever building materials were on hand. The buildings were usually single story/single room buildings, where the family lived/slept/cooked/etc on one end, and the other end was for animals or working. Not as flashy as the Tudor-style buildings.

Larger cities started sprouting up after around 1100, and some buildings here were made of tougher stuff, and could add a second story -- usually the top story for family life and the first floor for a shop of some sort.

Most windows were basically holes in the wall that could be covered, as glass was not readily available, as already stated by Legomaat.

All in all, the typical medieval house wasn't that exciting to look at. If you're going for some historical accuracy, try it out and I hope this post helps you out a bit, but otherwise I'd follow g2's advice and go for what looks interesting.