Eragon movie coming out Dec. 15!

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

sarous wrote:i hate those who say dragons arent real there is no proof either way so i belive in dragons
Oh, thanks for that one 8)

I never said dragons aren´t real... but if they were, we still don´t know how they looked like. But enough of this now, if you want to continue attacking me you can do it over PMs ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Shurtugal
Bailiff
Location: On the Albertan Prairies, listening to some slow country music

Post by Shurtugal »

Just to add to the Dragon debate (actually what Tony was saying about dinosaurs resembling birds). There has been recent evidance to support the fact/theory that birds are descendants of dinosaurs, but also the dinosaurs themselves may have had feathers. No time to link right now, but there are quite a few articles and such on the net. I first read about the feathred dinosaur theory thingy in a Nationa; Geographic(which you can't deny is probly right :wink: ), so you could try searching there first
~Andrew C.

[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php]MOCpages![/url]

Eka ai fricai un Shur'tugal! I am a Rider and a friend!
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

sarous wrote:i hate those who say dragons arent real there is no proof either way so i belive in dragons
The proof is that they aren't here. :wink:

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

I took my kids to see this. It was a good swords and sorcery flick, but nothing more. They mention "dwarves and elves" at one point (of course its actually dwarfs and elfs--just another sign of Tolkien's influence) and I cringed, thinking "wht do we have to do that?" Then they never showed any (or so I thought until I read this thread). The movie recycled all the tired old fantasy cliches, as well as Romantic era writing with the prince, old wizard/warrior/advisor/trainer, princess and Big Evil Bad Guy. Yes George Lucas used that old formula, but nicely tweaked it. The movie was for me, just going over ground I had crossed previously, and more entertainingly I might add. That said, it was good fun, a fine fantasy for children.

BTW I find the dragon debate interesting. Every major civilization has a dragon or very close equivilent. What caused them to all create such beasts? The thot plickens... :wink:
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

Hhhmmmmm...speculation. I believe they existed. Archaeologists found a dinosur with wierd chambers in its skull and they have found chambers connecting those chambers. They have speculated that there were chemicals in those chambers that mixed and resulted in an enormous amount of cumbustion. Maening: they breathed fire. I read this in a book so it's legit but I honestly don't remember what it was called.

And if every culture has a dragon somewhere in their mythology then we cannot pass it off. I think they existed. Maybe not as flying which couldn't be too far fetched. After all, pterodactyls did it well. Looking at all this, dragons certainly could have existed and I think we should go by the earliest drawings of them for design purposes. After all, whose designs would be more accurate? An eyewitness or another artist's adaptation of that drawing?
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

I think it depends on your definition of a dragon. There could very well have been large flying dinosuars whcih breathed fire. However, they couldn't do magic or anything like that.

Kelderic
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

"Believers" might enjoy:

It is a fun "what if" done in the style of Walking With Dinosaurs.
sarous
Foot Soldier

Post by sarous »

i saw that on the discovery chanel it was great and there is also proof that they exsist as well as proof that they dont so you decide what you want and i will belive what i want.
Riath Angel Sin, the soul reaping hexblade
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Tedward wrote:"Believers" might enjoy:

It is a fun "what if" done in the style of Walking With Dinosaurs.
I might have to check this out. I have always like the "Walking With..." series.

Kelderic
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

Ohhh....a dragon debate!
i hate those who say dragons arent real there is no proof either way so i belive in dragons
Dragons (the typical fairytale type dragons) don't exist.

It would be illogical to suggest that such a large creature as a dragon would have been able to fly.
The largest known flying animals were pterosaurs and their maximum wingspan was around 40 ft. (12 meters).
Pterosaurs were well adapted for flight where as dragons (basically t-rex with wings) would not be well suited for flight.

The myth of dragons is probably derived from ancient humans finding dinosaur fossils.
But maybe somewhere out there, on some hospitable low gravity planet, dragons do exist!
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

Oh well, we all believe different.

I don't think the feather wing design looked that bad. It was a nice touch. I was nice to see a new wing design instead of the bone structures spanned by cloth design. Not that it's bad or anything it was just different, but it did look cool.
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I think it's hard to say either way what happened thousands and thousands of years ago... evolution does some crazy things. A few days ago I heard a news report saying that researchers in China found the remains of a two-headed dinosaur, with two long necks and all... about 120+ million years old.

If it's just as hard to prove something did happen as it is that it didn't, I don't see much point in picking a side...

Poor Eragon thread... seems a bit off topic. :)
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

Yeah, it is.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

ottoatm wrote:Poor Eragon thread... seems a bit off topic. :)
Yeah, I look everyday for this thread to see if anything new has happene, since it has become such an interesting topic.

Kelderic
sarous
Foot Soldier

Post by sarous »

the reason why dragons could fly and breathe fire in scientific terms(science messing with things it can not explain) is the gas produced went a dragon is digesting food is methene the gas needed to make the dragons fire the reason why they could fly is because of the fact methene is lighter than air and the large wing muscles(only eastern dragons are impossible because the have no wings large enough to get enough lift to fly)
Riath Angel Sin, the soul reaping hexblade