Yellow castle? Or new giant crown knight castle?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products

Which would you rather have (if you couldn't sell it)

Yellow castle
45%
New "crown knights" castle
55%

Total votes: 86

kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Personally, I went with the new castle. It is in bley, but I really like the new minifigs, and I have to get ahold on the gold chrome Euro armor and the new barding.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Has anyone noticed we spend alot of time debating the merits of set number 375? It must be good!
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

I'm -so- not a fan of the Yellow Castle. First of all, it's yellow. That's great for the nostalgia of it, but in my opinion it looks silly. Yellow, in my little LEGO world, denotes gold (goblets, 1x1 round plates) and skin. So either Yellow Castle is made of gold (really bad idea) or skin (kinda cool, but silly). No thanks.

The design itself isn't all that impressive. It's a classic, sure -- but there's nothing about it that really says to me it's even in the -running- for being the best Castle ever.

And I couldn't care less about the old style figures or their visors. They just don't appeal to me. At all.

So yeah, I'm totally for the new castle. I would prefer if it were bulked up a bit to fill the gaps and give it a more 'fortified' appearance. But I'm pretty used to the way LEGO makes Castles - so it's not so big a deal to me. The new figures look awesome. And the Castle actually is a reasonable colour. All points for it. I want this Castle, and I wouldn't want the Yellow Castle even if it were free. So there you go.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
supernova
Journeyman

Post by supernova »

i went with 375, because its rarer to get now. i can always get 7094 afterwards :)
that said, i don't actually like the castle itself (375) but just the figs. its classic and all, but if you were to let me choose a castle which represents the best ever, I would choose 6085 (and steal the 6086 figs :))
~~ Supernova ~~

Good trades with: Chrislad77, kelderic, Strider, Unknown Knight and ZIGGY!
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

i chose the new castle , i don't like yellow castles :wink:
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Spongey wrote:It's unbelievable that by voting for the Yellow Castle, I only took it to 50/50. I'm not trying to insult anyone's opinion, but there is no question that the Yellow Castle was one of the greatest in the history of LEGO castle.
Haha, and I broke the 50/50 tie (13 to 12 immediately after I voted)) in favor of the new castle. 8)

Yellow Castle: There's actually not much question that it is NOT the greatest in the history of LEGO Castle. In polls it comes out about average with 6080, 6074, 6086, and 6085 all beating it consistently. There's a certain nostolgia factor, and the uniqueness of the figs. Now, I like variety and thus I like the figs, but honestly, they are way overrated - there's any number of later figs that I like much better. High marks for the sheer amount of figs, though. If they produced the Yellow Castle in one of the "sand" colors, I might well change my mind, but that ain't a condition of the vote.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

Hmm, a yellow castle imposing! I think not, although it is crammed with troops. These pieces in Yellow castle are easy to find maybe a few dollars without the troops. Yes I would like to 1 thirty dollar minifigure. Hmm, I will spend 300 dollars for the troops, and brick horses. I hold no bias towards 375 but I wouldn't say it is the best!

I choose the new castle 7094 because I saw some pathetic themes in my time from fright knights, kk1, and kk2. At least kk1 and fright knights had a way to get a army but not kk2! Anyway the reason I choose it was it seems very defendable and looks like a regular grey castle. :D P-lus bows!
Last edited by Patron of the lego on Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ianan
Villein

Post by Ianan »

supernova wrote:i went with 375, because its rarer to get now. i can always get 7094 afterwards :)
that said, i don't actually like the castle itself (375) but just the figs. its classic and all, but if you were to let me choose a castle which represents the best ever, I would choose 6085 (and steal the 6086 figs :))
:roll: I'm not sure you understand exactly what the poll is about... I meant IF YOU COULDN'T SELL IT which would you choose?
I have broken it.
And I live from bane.
Shade.
The system, reeling.
AdjutantReflex
supernova
Journeyman

Post by supernova »

Ianan wrote:
supernova wrote:i went with 375, because its rarer to get now. i can always get 7094 afterwards :)
:roll: I'm not sure you understand exactly what the poll is about... I meant IF YOU COULDN'T SELL IT which would you choose?
I am not saying anything about selling it.. i am talking about my opportunity cost in getting it. if all else equal, i will choose the yellow castle. what's wrong with that?
Last edited by supernova on Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~ Supernova ~~

Good trades with: Chrislad77, kelderic, Strider, Unknown Knight and ZIGGY!
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

I Chose the Yellow Castle. The reason why is the walls and the minifigs. I love the Royal Knight minifig. I think they are so cool.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Spongey wrote:It's unbelievable that by voting for the Yellow Castle, I only took it to 50/50. I'm not trying to insult anyone's opinion, but there is no question that the Yellow Castle was one of the greatest in the history of LEGO castle.
The way you have phrased this is rather offensive to people who voted for the new castle. There definately is a question, it's the whole point of this thread.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

kelderic wrote:The way you have phrased this is rather offensive to people who voted for the new castle. There definately is a question, it's the whole point of this thread.

Kelderic
Lets not get all defensive about this. Spongey was only expressing his, somewhat passionate opinion on the matter. I certainly don't agree with him, but he obviously feels very strongly about this.

His comments weren't offensive at all.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

Lets not get all defensive about this. Spongey was only expressing his, somewhat passionate opinion on the matter. I certainly don't agree with him, but he obviously feels very strongly about this.

His comments weren't offensive at all.
I wasn't offended either, but looking at it I can see how someone might be. The statement that there is -no question- that one thing is better than another infers that any conflictory opinion is without value or merit. That's certainly not a -nice- thing to say. It could have been phrased better, is all.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
smegged
Freeman

Post by smegged »

The real question is this: if both castles were released today which one would you buy.

I'd certainly buy the new castle. Better colours, better functionality, better minifigs (and no aweful stickers - bleck). 375 is really popular only because of its place in history. Yellow is not a good colour for castles, the minifigs were pretty horrid with the stickers and the brick built horses really were a joke.
Assamite
Serf

Post by Assamite »

I want the yellow castle cause it featured in Idea Book 6000. I grew up with this and it has huge nostalgia value.

Plus the old knight helmets are pretty funky too.

CM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana, The Life of Reason, Volume 1, 1905