The LEGO Castle Contest

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

Might want to clarify the categories in the official rules Ben, it is a bit confusing since the category and prize seem to be the exact same thing.

The real question though, which I'm suprised no one has yet asked: Judging to be completed by June...new sets don't come out til August...does this mean the winners get the sets before they even come out?

Or do they just have to wait til August to get them...

Oh, second question: Is this the final box art in the pictures provided? The pieces we see are the pieces we'd be getting?
supernova
Journeyman

Post by supernova »

This is your chance to get these sets before they are released to the public.
So yes, I think so :)
~~ Supernova ~~

Good trades with: Chrislad77, kelderic, Strider, Unknown Knight and ZIGGY!
Grrr
Serf

Post by Grrr »

So just to clarify - anything that could fit under the title of say "Joust" can be put into the joust competition - for instance - two dragons jousting?

Also, I take it there are no scale restrictions at all (eg a siege scene taking 10 baseplates would be equaly considered to something micro-built? )
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

I too would like a bit of clarity. Specifically, does one of the factions involved in the seige have to be an army of the undead?
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

Do our factions have to match the theme?

~Ziggy
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Ok, here are a few notes of clarification:

The Categories are:

Ballista
Joust
Catapult
Prisoner Wagon
Tower
Castle Siege

All entries need two opposing factions. These factions should be some version of good vs evil. Feel free to create your own unique factions or use classic ones from the past. Just make sure we know which soldiers belong to which faction. Ideas for bad guys include skeletons, undead, giants, dragons, bad men (such as Shadow Knights) etc. Good guys should be some form of heroic knights/soldiers. Have a minimum of one figure from each of your factions in the creation.

For example you could make a shadow knight siege ballista attacked by a group of forestmen.
Where did these criteria come from?
CC Contest categories are always based on the prize being given away. In this case the prizes are new 2007 Castle sets. Creations should not be direct copies of the sets or themes, but they should be influenced by the concepts found in the sets.
does this mean the winners get the sets before they even come out?
Yes. Winners could quite possibly be the first fans to get their hands on a new set.
Is this the final box art in the pictures provided? The pieces we see are the pieces we'd be getting?
Yes.
So just to clarify - anything that could fit under the title of say "Joust" can be put into the joust competition - for instance - two dragons jousting?
Yes if one dragon was good and another bad.
Also, I take it there are no scale restrictions at all (eg a siege scene taking 10 baseplates would be equaly considered to something micro-built? )
Creations should feature minifigures or be in minifigure scale (if you are using mythical creatures). Creating very large entries could harm your score since we will have a hard time seeing all of it in 3 800x600 pixel photos.
I too would like a bit of clarity. Specifically, does one of the factions involved in the seige have to be an army of the undead?
No, it just has to be an opposing faction.

Ben
CC Contest Admin

P.S. I will work on updating and clarifying the contest pages this weekend before we start accepting entries on Monday.
Traveler
Reeve

Post by Traveler »

Woohoo! Since I didn't get anything in on time for the CCC, it's great to get another opportunity so soon!

Quick question, can Black Falcons be evil? I don't have any Shadow Knights, Fright Knights or even Bulls.
I <3 Sufjan too!
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

i have a question about 'castle siege' categorie:

must it be a whole castle or can it be a wall section too :?:
Baned
Foot Soldier

Post by Baned »

I already made MOCs of the 2007 sets, can I enter them? :lol:

Seriously though, I ought to try whipping something together, though after seeing some of the CCC entries, I don't stand much of a chance, but it sounds like good fun anyway. And it's ideas for stuff to make, which is something I've been lacking.
Traveler wrote:Quick question, can Black Falcons be evil? I don't have any Shadow Knights, Fright Knights or even Bulls.
I would guess Yes. It's Lego. It's your imagination. I suppose you can have an army of Gungans facing the BFs, though I think you'd make the Gungans evil in this particular example. ;) You better wait for an Admin to confirm that rather than listening to babbling, though.
Peeron contributions: 577 (Viking Chess), 7009, 7654, 7655, 7695, 7771, 8813, 8821, and 8822.

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MaccyG]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
plucky
Laborer

Post by plucky »

Wow, this is pretty darn cool, but I'll have to echo DARKspawn, especially after how much time I spent with CCCIV... "we can't tell my wife, ok ... she will be most displeased"

-plucky
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

Alright, this is awsome. Does this mean Josh won't be holding his anual Battles Contest?
"The sky grows black...shadow falls...the Dark Tide comes..."

[Edgar J.]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Traveler wrote:Quick question, can Black Falcons be evil? I don't have any Shadow Knights, Fright Knights or even Bulls.
I always thought they were evil... "Hides from Jojo" Almost any faction can be made to look more evil than another. Use your creativity to show the difference between two factions.
must it be a whole castle or can it be a wall section too
It needs to be an entire castle. It can be a small castle. The Castle should have an interior courtyard and not just be a keep. This will help distinguish castles from a tower moc.
I already made MOCs of the 2007 sets, can I enter them?
Nothing shown online before March 5th 2007 will be allowed. Your creations should not be direct copies of the new sets.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
Jake, of the Palace Guard
Laborer

Post by Jake, of the Palace Guard »

We can enter more than 1 catagoty, yes? Sorry if I missed it... :)
pEhrlich
Serf

Post by pEhrlich »

hey, awesome!!

One question though:
Submission will be evaluated on a ten-point scale.

Creativity – 3 Points
Playability – 4 Points
Details – 3 Points
Does this mean you could make a detailed fully motorized tank, and enter it in ballista? You should be able to get full marks for that!

:roll:
--Peter
Dunechaser
Councilor

Post by Dunechaser »

Yay!

And I have no questions. :lol:
-Andrew B.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunechaser/]Flickr[/url] | [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com/]The Brothers Brick[/url]