The LEGO Castle Contest

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Jargon
Villein

Post by Jargon »

Wow . . .
To echo what has been said before, this is quite a contest.
In fact, it was one of the factors that convinced me to join.

One question, however: Are our entries supposed to reflect the general scale and size of the official LEGO sets?
  • - Aaron
sir Lomero
Villein

Post by sir Lomero »

I have a little question, can I submit floating island/steampunk creation?
Lomero
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Jake_Snicket wrote:Wow . . .
To echo what has been said before, this is quite a contest.
In fact, it was one of the factors that convinced me to join.

One question, however: Are our entries supposed to reflect the general scale and size of the official LEGO sets?
  • - Aaron
Yes.
I have a little question, can I submit floating island/steampunk creation?
No.
I have a question regarding the Joust catagory. I would like to create a complete joust scene with nobles' pavillion, tents, peasants, a little bit of medieval life at the joust, etc - in addition to the 2 jousting factions. Not on a massive scale but large (hopefully). Would this suit?
Yes as long as it is not huge. A joust moc can have a similar scale other other LEGO joust sets such as 383 and 6060.
Looking at the rules more clarefully, I was surprised to discover that Admins are eligible to enter.
This rule has been changed. We think that it is too much of a conflict of interest. Perhaps the admins could make mocs that are not eligible for prizes and have the fans grade us ;)
My first question is probably retarded, but do pics that are hosted on brickshelf count as resized?
My other question is, if I have a castle for the seige category and I stick a maiden in the topmost tower, would that count for both categories?
You need to size your pictures before uploading them to Brickshelf. Brickshelf will automatically make a thumbnail image for you, so you do not need to make your own.

You can not make one entry for more than one category in this contest. They must be completely different entries.
Actually, I do have a question..... custom parts? I'm not talking about cutting up tons of bricks to make some horrible looking balista that could never be, I'm talking about some minifig accessories. Custom armor, weapons, capes, etc. The good custom stuff still retains the lego feel and is often indistinguishable from the real thing.
Currently you can only use custom stickers. Custom bricks, accessories, painted or modified bricks, and clone elements are not allowed.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
TheJinjaNinja
Villein
Location: Ye Olde England, realm of the knights who say.. Ni! ____________________ 'Duel' Personality

Post by TheJinjaNinja »

Wow, cooly contest. I have of course finished my first (and probably biggest) entry, which has a slightly abstract touch to it! I have one problem, though: this MOC is somewhere between a tower and a castle. I'll post it tomorrow (after March 05th, so it's legal, if I remember correctly) and see what the people of CC think :)

Plus, who says this will be my only entry... :wink:

TJN..
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

architect wrote:...This rule has been changed. We think that it is too much of a conflict of interest. Perhaps the admins could make mocs that are not eligible for prizes and have the fans grade us ;)
I actually think that is a great idea Ben!
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

architect wrote:
Jake_Snicket wrote:One question, however: Are our entries supposed to reflect the general scale and size of the official LEGO sets?
  • - Aaron
Yes.
Ben
CC Contest Admin
So are we supposed to make our creations look somewhat like sets?
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Bang a gong, it is on!
wunztwice wrote:
architect wrote:...This rule has been changed. We think that it is too much of a conflict of interest. Perhaps the admins could make mocs that are not eligible for prizes and have the fans grade us ;)
I actually think that is a great idea Ben!
Me too! Seems kind of unfair that admins are stuck judging rather than entering :(
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

If our entries are supposed to reflect the general size and scale of the sets offered, then are we limited in the number of minifigs we use as well? What I mean is, would it be appropriate to have 300+ soldiers seiging our small fortification, or does this size limitation only apply to structures?
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Just a question. What specific criteria will the individual categories be graded upon. I know that there's the playability, design, etc. However, what specific things will the admins be looking for in the creation. This applies especially to the joust category: what are we supposed to do to make it a winning creation?
Also for the joust category, will we score higher if we use decals, or is it irrelavent whether designs are custom or LEGO-produced?

Thanks,

Spongey
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Hey, could I possible use two small pieces of string. I am working my ballista entry, and would am going to make it really use tortion. However, I have no lego string of sutable size. I have found some string, close to the make of the string Lego uses. Would this be okey to incorperate in my design?

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

kelderic wrote:Hey, could I possible use two small pieces of string. I am working my ballista entry, and would am going to make it really use tortion. However, I have no lego string of sutable size. I have found some string, close to the make of the string Lego uses. Would this be okey to incorperate in my design?

Kelderic
Good luck - I tried to use string to create torsion & I didn't get very far (literally) ;)
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Jake_Snicket wrote:One question, however: Are our entries supposed to reflect the general scale and size of the official LEGO sets?
  • - Aaron
Yes.
Just a question. What specific criteria will the individual categories be graded upon. I know that there's the playability, design, etc. However, what specific things will the admins be looking for in the creation.
Admin reactions like how did he/she build that? or Woah, thats sweet!, etc are what we are looking for ;)
Also for the joust category, will we score higher if we use decals, or is it irrelavent whether designs are custom or LEGO-produced?
This is not a custom decals contest. Any stickers should add to your entry but not be the main focus.
Hey, could I possible use two small pieces of string. I am working my ballista entry, and would am going to make it really use tortion. However, I have no lego string of sutable size. I have found some string, close to the make of the string Lego uses. Would this be okey to incorperate in my design?
LEGO string or very similar string would be ok. Thick rope or yarn obviously would not be ok.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

So you can't a huge castle that is larger 7094? Also, for the tower with the prisioner, can it be dungeon in a castle?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Patron of the lego wrote:So you can't a huge castle that is larger 7094? Also, for the tower with the prisioner, can it be dungeon in a castle?
Your entry should not be much larger than the set. Yes, you can put the jail somewhere else. LEGO Castle jails have been in a variety of locations high and low.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
xbloodyfangs
Laborer

Post by xbloodyfangs »

Is the tower required to have a drawbridge? The one I'm building right now has a stairway.