The LEGO Castle Contest

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

So are our entries supposed to look like they could be lego sets? Or are you just saying that they need to be about the size of a lego set? Sorry about his question, it is very similiar to some you already answered. I am trying to solidify the main rules in my mind.
"The sky grows black...shadow falls...the Dark Tide comes..."

[Edgar J.]
Traveler
Reeve

Post by Traveler »

Forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse a bit, but if our entries are not supposed to be much bigger than the sets, this poses a slight problem with one or two categories, specifically the Joust. The set only has 62 pieces, and it's a lot of those are taken up by the necessary 2 horses and riders and some sort of barrier between them. I think it's going to be tough to be very creative with this kind of size limitation on this category.

Thanks again for working so hard to bring us this great contest!
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Traveler wrote:Forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse a bit, but if our entries are not supposed to be much bigger than the sets, this poses a slight problem with one or two categories, specifically the Joust. The set only has 62 pieces, and it's a lot of those are taken up by the necessary 2 horses and riders and some sort of barrier between them. I think it's going to be tough to be very creative with this kind of size limitation on this category.

Thanks again for working so hard to bring us this great contest!
It was mentioned on the previous page that your MOC does not have to be exactly the same size as the set you are competing for. Architect mentioned both 383 and 6060 as possible examples. Both of these sets have in the whereabouts of 200 pieces.

I think that the size limitations are a great idea as they prevent fans (such as myself) from using scale to impress the judges, rather than talent. It should definitely make this contest interesting.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Blueandwhite wrote:I think that the size limitations are a great idea as they prevent fans (such as myself) from using scale to impress the judges, rather than talent. It should definitely make this contest interesting.
Agreed. In many ways this small restriction is going to make this contest even more challenging than CCC. Until this rule came into play I wasn't even going to consider the Castle Siege catagory, but now ...
Hippotam
Villein

Post by Hippotam »

architect wrote:Your entry should not be much larger than the set.
Forgive me asking, but this is not clear to me. What do you mean by "larger"? Piece count? Baseplate dimensions (or square studs?)
I already spend one evening rebuilding my landscape so this required drawbridge makes sense for my castle, I would like to avoid another demolish/rebuilt phase. My castle siege scene is now 48x48 with castle occupying about 3/5 of it. Is it too large?
[url=http://www.e-klocki.com]Klocki - LEGO Bricks for Adults[/url].
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

Blueandwhite wrote: I think that the size limitations are a great idea as they prevent fans (such as myself) from using scale to impress the judges, rather than talent. It should definitely make this contest interesting.
Well, the size of the castles in official sets are way off reality, they're not even as big as a barn if you look at the scale.
I'm building a castle, in wich the donjon alone is 32x48 studs. If that is not allowed I will not enter. Not that anyone cares, but still.
I cannot build a castle that is not a castle. It's not to impress with a lot of bricks, that is not the way to impress (although it seems that other people might think so), but simply sticking to the size of a real castle.
Size limitation would be bad :(
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

Blueandwhite wrote:If our entries are supposed to reflect the general size and scale of the sets offered, then are we limited in the number of minifigs we use as well? What I mean is, would it be appropriate to have 300+ soldiers seiging our small fortification, or does this size limitation only apply to structures?

it is still not clear how much minifigs we may use in the castle siege category :?
pj_bosman
Peasant

Post by pj_bosman »

stuifzand wrote:
Blueandwhite wrote: I think that the size limitations are a great idea as they prevent fans (such as myself) from using scale to impress the judges, rather than talent. It should definitely make this contest interesting.
Well, the size of the castles in official sets are way off reality, they're not even as big as a barn if you look at the scale.
I'm building a castle, in wich the donjon alone is 32x48 studs. If that is not allowed I will not enter. Not that anyone cares, but still.
I cannot build a castle that is not a castle. It's not to impress with a lot of bricks, that is not the way to impress (although it seems that other people might think so), but simply sticking to the size of a real castle.
Agreed, I'm working on a tower, and I will finish it anyways, but when appears to be too big, I will not enter. I will still finish it though :wink:
What is "too big" - I think it's rather a vague term. I'm building it on a normal 32 x 32 baseplate, and will be about 40-50 bricks high. Note is that, even though I think it's not that huge, it contains quite an amount of bricks. It's built rather compact though. Should it have about the same amount of pieces as the set?
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrick-bosman/]my MOCs on Flickr[/url]
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

stuifzand wrote:
Well, I certainly know how you feel. The castle I was originally going to enter was over 100 studs in width. Including the surrounding area was going to be 192x192. Still, I realize that such a fortress would probably leave alot of entrants feeling intimidated, not becuase its well-built, but because its absolutely huge.

Don't get me wrong though. It is possible to build large and build well (Jojo, Jens etc.) Suifzand, you are an excellent builder (one of the best on these pages), so I'm not trying to suggest that your using size to compensate for poor construction. I'm just stating that I understand why the organizers may have chosen to restrict the size of the entries.

I'm certainly not abandoning my new castle (just started it), but I accept the fact that it is not appropriate for this contest. Heck, even the tower I had planed had a footprint of 40x40.

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Updated requirements for Castle Siege:

Castles will fit inside a 64 stud x 64 stud square. No, you can not elongate these dimensions in any direction wider than 64 studs. Surrounding landscape, siege weapons, and attacking armies are not included in this size limitation. The rule only applies to the castle itself.
Is the tower required to have a drawbridge? The one I'm building right now has a stairway.
It should have some type of defended entrance which could be a flight of stairs.
Forgive me asking, but this is not clear to me. What do you mean by "larger"? Piece count? Baseplate dimensions (or square studs?)
The main concern is size and scale compared to the set. Can you use many more elements to add details? Yes. Should a castle have 20,000 elements? No.
My castle siege scene is now 48x48 with castle occupying about 3/5 of it. Is it too large?
No.
It is allowed. Just do not forget the curtain wall, other towers, drawbridges or portcullis.
it is still not clear how much minifigs we may use in the castle siege category
This category is not the Battles contest or even the CCC IV Battle Category. Having more than 25 figures on each side would be overkill.
Should it have about the same amount of pieces as the set?
No. See comments above.
I'm certainly not abandoning my new castle (just started it), but I accept the fact that it is not appropriate for this contest. Heck, even the tower I had planed had a footprint of 40x40.
That sounds too large.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

architect wrote:
That sounds too large.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
I thought as much.

Another question. Yes, I know, these are probably getting most tiring, but I was wondering about landscaping. How extensive can our landscape be? Would it be possible to build a small tower on a 48x48 baseplate, surrounded by a few trees and a ravine, or does the surrounding area need to be something like 32x32? Is landscaping even appropriate given the set-like nature of the contest?

I'm just trying to get a better picture of what fits within the rules. I appologize if this is proving to be a tad difficult.

architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Blueandwhite wrote:
I thought as much.

Another question. Yes, I know, these are probably getting most tiring, but I was wondering about landscaping. How extensive can our landscape be? Would it be possible to build a small tower on a 48x48 baseplate, surrounded by a few trees and a ravine, or does the surrounding area need to be something like 32x32? Is landscaping even appropriate given the set-like nature of the contest?

I'm just trying to get a better picture of what fits within the rules. I appologize if this is proving to be a tad difficult.
The problem with too much landscaping is that it will be hard to see every thing in three 800x600 pixel photographs. You certain can add landscaping but it should be secondary to the siege machine, cart, joust, tower or castle. Landscaping is not required for the contest. That being said, it can make the mocs looks much better. In your case, the tower should be the focus and not a ravine.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
McPugg
Villein

Post by McPugg »

Can you make an entry that is closer to Classic Castle then the new line?(like the colors and figures?)

McPugg
Pepin Krootki
Gong Farmer

Post by Pepin Krootki »

I have a little question. How must be big tower? I bulid on a 32x32 baseplate and tower will occupy about 12x12 studs, Is that ok?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

McPugg wrote:Can you make an entry that is closer to Classic Castle then the new line?(like the colors and figures?
Yes, but one faction should still be good and another evil.
I have a little question. How must be big tower? I bulid on a 32x32 baseplate and tower will occupy about 12x12 studs, Is that ok?
This tower seems to be a bit small. It should be ok, but I would not make anything smaller than that footprint.

Ben
CC Contest Admin