Discussion of general LEGO topics
TsoAutTmo
Apprentice

Chinese Restaurant - Town MOC WIP

Post by TsoAutTmo »

Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

It really just looks like two grey walls with some red mixed in, doesn't resemble a Chinese restaurant in my opinion.

I know the Japanese have an entirely different cultural, but this Japanese styled restaurant might help you.

Lonesy
TsoAutTmo
Apprentice

Post by TsoAutTmo »

Yes, but it's an W-I-P

I have to add more wall designs, and more red and yellow elements.

I still have to add the roof, Interior designs/ tables - chairs / and the wall design.

And bout the Jap restaurant - I know... I'm Japanese.
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

The colors are very befitting a Chinese resturant. I like the overall design. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

TsoAutTmo wrote:Yes, but it's an W-I-P

I have to add more wall designs, and more red and yellow elements.

I still have to add the roof, Interior designs/ tables - chairs / and the wall design.

And bout the Jap restaurant - I know... I'm Japanese.

When I post my WIPs pictures (Which is rare nowadays) I usually try to make it at least look like the thing I'm trying to build. But hey, it's your MOC.

As for the whole "I'm a jap" I sort of doubt that, I've never heard any of my Japanese friends refer to themselves as "Japs" since it is after all, an insult. So in any case, I should think you're trying to Impersonate one. Because we all know Japanese builders have insanely natural skill when building with LEGO.

Lonesy
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I agree it lacks a certain Asian feel to it. I think that could be remedied with some Chinese flags (from the Orient Expedition sets) and maybe some awnings over the windows.

I also think it needs a lot more windows on the bottom floor.

I do like the idea of a Chinese restaurant though...

Steve
Last edited by Athos on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Jargon
Villein

Post by Jargon »

Loneranger wrote:When I post my WIPs pictures (Which is rare nowadays) I usually try to make it at least look like the thing I'm trying to build. But hey, it's your MOC.
That's pretty rude. Is it so hard to believe that as he progresses, it will look more like the real deal? :roll:
Loneranger wrote:As for the whole "I'm a jap" I sort of doubt that, I've never heard any of my Japanese friends refer to themselves as "Japs" since it is after all, an insult. So in any case, I should think you're trying to Impersonate one. Because we all know Japanese builders have insanely natural skill when building with LEGO.
I hope you're being facetious. Who judges a LEGO builder by their nationality? If you really don't think he's Japanese, take a look at his blog. Sure, its circumstantial evidence, but I think you ought to put some more thought into things before you jump and attack someone.

As for the MOC, it looks like you're off to a great start. I liked the way you implied Chinese characters on the sign in the front. The color schme also looks like it's being developed well.
However, like others have said, the grey walls ought to have more to spruce them up.

I'm looking forward to seeing this fully built. :)
  • - Aaron
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Jake_Snicket wrote:
Loneranger wrote:When I post my WIPs pictures (Which is rare nowadays) I usually try to make it at least look like the thing I'm trying to build. But hey, it's your MOC.
That's pretty rude. Is it so hard to believe that as he progresses, it will look more like the real deal? :roll:
Loneranger wrote:As for the whole "I'm a jap" I sort of doubt that, I've never heard any of my Japanese friends refer to themselves as "Japs" since it is after all, an insult. So in any case, I should think you're trying to Impersonate one. Because we all know Japanese builders have insanely natural skill when building with LEGO.
I hope you're being facetious. Who judges a LEGO builder by their nationality? If you really don't think he's Japanese, take a look at his blog. Sure, its circumstantial evidence, but I think you ought to put some more thought into things before you jump and attack someone.

As for the MOC, it looks like you're off to a great start. I liked the way you implied Chinese characters on the sign in the front. The color schme also looks like it's being developed well.
However, like others have said, the grey walls ought to have more to spruce them up.

I'm looking forward to seeing this fully built. :)
  • - Aaron
To get my impressions out of the way, I believe that this is a great WIP. The colours are excellent, and I look forward to seeing it fully furnished.

Loneranger, I believe that you're being very insulting. First of all, you shouldn't be so judgemental of TsuAutTmo. If he says he's Japanese, than he probably is. Secondly, I don't appreciate your offhanded remarks on his building skills. Finally, you shouldn't be stereotyping someone's building skills based on their nationality.
I don't want to start a whole argument, but I believe that this sort of issue should be addressed, and a stop should be put to it.
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

Ignoring past comments and regardless of what culture it is or supposed to be, I really like that curved wall, and the small details such as the window openings and red stage are absolutely sublime.

When it comes to the population of it I think some greenery is vital, but certainly so far this is looking great. ;)
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

*ignores Loneranger

Great work so far. It can be hard to judge the final outcome from WIP shots, alot can change... However I like the shape & the red carpet is so spot on! At least it is for every Chinese restraunt I have been too ;) I also like the signage.

More windows on the ground level is a great suggestion, & 1 thing it really needs is a huge fishtank! I can't wait to see what you do for furnature ;)
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

A good start.

Like a castle MOC, you might want to do something about the large grey walls. They look rather plain. The corner entrance is nice (inspired by the corner cafe perhaps :wink: ), and the interior shows some real promise. A photo of the actual building would be a great reference for the rest of us as well. Its always good to be able to compare the LEGO MOC with the actual building in question.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

I've been in Japanese establishments that looked similar to this, so I have no problem with the design thus far. Its looking good so far, can't wait to see the rest. :)

Josh

PS. Loneranger, you have a PM.
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
lego2000
Apprentice

Post by lego2000 »

I have to agree with Justin, in that it doesn't really resemble a chinese restauraunt. And to all of you who are shooting his opinions down, it seems you don't like him because of the whole ibricks thing, and calling a Japanese person or thing 'Jap' is offensive, as it can be considered an ethnic slur.

-l2k-
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

I'm sorry to contradict you but this MOC does resemble a Japanese restaurant that I have been in.
lego2000 wrote:And to all of you who are shooting his opinions down, it seems you don't like him because of the whole ibricks thing
Don't bring the ibricks issue into this thread (or any other thread). The issue is over as far as this forum is concerned. Please do not bring it up again.

Josh
Last edited by JoshWedin on Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
lego2000
Apprentice

Post by lego2000 »

JoshWedin wrote:
lego2000 wrote:And to all of you who are shooting his opinions down, it seems you don't like him because of the whole ibricks thing
Don't bring the ibricks issue into this thread (or any other thread). The issue is over as far as this forum is concerned. Please do not bring it up again.

Josh
Okay, but that really wasn't my point.

-l2k-