Weekly Set Review: Knight's Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Knight's Castle

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6073 Knight’s Castle.

Knight’s Castle, released in 1984, was the first Black Falcon castle. It has two archer towers, a small gate tower with red bricks, a drawbridge, and a jail. The set includes two knights, two archers, two spearmen, and accessories.

Last edited by architect on Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

I never owned this set, though I always wanted to. It's not flashy, but it's cool IMO. Sure, it's like the illegitimate child between the King's Castle and the Black Falcon's fortress, but come on... Green flags!

Gotta have green flags.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Yes yes yes!

That's been the very first real castle I owned. I got it for Christmas in 1984 so it probably caused my love to the Eagle Knights. Though it's not the best castle LEGO ever made it's beyond criticism for me, I'm quite biased... I'm getting sentimental....

The built door of the jail is really cool and unsurpassed.

Bye
Jojo

doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

As far as the design itself goes... I'm not too thrilled.
On the other hand, any set that comes with 6 Black Falcons is definitely worth owning in my eyes. Plus I could definitely make use of all of the castle wall pieces... I don't have nearly enough of them to incorporate them into any of my models.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

This was my second large castle set back when I was a kid and I always liked it. Black Falcons have always been a favorite of mine and this set had just what you need to build that Falcon Army. The two shields used as decoration were great as spare shields were not common in the Black Falcon sets. Of course it is not as great as the BFF or 6080, but it was a great set. 8.5/10 back then, 9.5/10 now. Even in new gray I'd still buy at least 5 of them.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Never got this one. It is a nice little outpost castle though, and has a good little contigent of the coveted Black Falcons. Think it should be pretty easy to recreate out of spare parts. Though the green flags might be hard to come by.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

I love this little set. It was the one that got me interested in Lego again. I found mine with a buch of other Legos at my grandparent's house. I was able to determine what set it was by the types of pieces in the bin, and by using some instructions online, I put it together. It is solidly built and well designed. While not the fanciest or most detailed set TLC has made, it is a good one. Definatly a 9/10.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

First LEGO I ever bought off of eBay, straight out of my dark age.

It has a good selection of figures and parts for it's size, and the brick door inside is pretty cool. However, it pales in comparison to BFF because it lacks the roof peak bricks, and I don't think corner bricks existed at the time either.

Still, definitely a good set, and I would buy at least one if it was available now. Actually, I'm rather upset that Black Falcon's Fortress is no longer available. I was only able to get 3 of them while they were around, and now people are trying to charge over $60 for them online. *sigh*

Will LEGO ever release another good castle set?
The Wolfpack Boss
Freeman

Special

Post by The Wolfpack Boss »

I always liked this set's red arch, I thought it was a nice contrast and it still stands alone as far as any castle design goes. Other than that, plain, but as everyone has noted - 6 Black Falcons and green flags, that's worth it alright. Does anyone know how much it retailed for? It couldn't have been much.
Harbourmaster's Office
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3521/4033675 ... 8cb1_t.jpg[/img]
(More at Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/8273684@N02/4033675910/[/url])
brian
Freeman

Post by brian »

This was the second castle I ever owned. I was collecting Space and Castle at the time and really didn't have a tendency towards either. This castle is the turning point where Castle became the focus of all my building projects. I always had Space fight Castle as a kid, and the 6 falcons helped turn the tide. I will always love the old castle sets for the basic building you had to do to create one. Great set and being a Black Falcon set puts in over the edge. Also, the fact that it was made into a Legend also backs up it's status as an awesome set! 9/10
" Black Falcon High football team rules!"
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

I loved to have the Lion knights siege this castle. I never thought that 6 knights were enough of a garrison, so I would pack it full of figures from other sets as well. I would usually use the 6061 Siege Tower wall and 6040 Blacksmith Shop to expand the castle. My two 6030 Catapults would belong to the Lion knights during the siege.

1984 was the best year of castle. Hands down.
Cat
Villein

Post by Cat »

Also my first major castle set. I loved the Black Falcons. They would always lay seige to my brother's knights. A simple, sturdy set. Too bad they are so hard to come by now.
medib
Bailiff

Post by medib »

I would say that this is a great set for the mini-figs and a good source of pieces.

Stuff I dislike, the green flags (its a bit of diversity) but c'mon green flags! :?

and the red gate. Red gate with Green flags... is this the keep of Sir SANTA? :wink:

Anyways, when I started collecting Lego I wanted this set and the King's Castle. To have the "good" guys (lions)
agains the "bad" guys (falcons)... though the roles could be reversed... the lions could be bullying the "innocent" falcons... :wink:

My last thought is that the Black Falcon Fortress is the set
that they really wanted to put out, but they didn't have time to put it out earlier. The Knights castle was put out for play with the Kings Castle (so less priority would have been used in the set design)

Just some * random * thoughts about it.

Thanks,
Benjamin Medinets
Jehkar
Peasant

Post by Jehkar »

I never got this set (cause I wasn't alive). But its a nice set that would go great with Black Falcons Fortress. I give it a 9/10
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Megablocks followed with him." Revelations 6:8
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

It was something of a half-size 6080 for those who still wanted a castle but were on a budget. From that standpoint, it was a nice set. It's only major flaw was that it was followed by the better and more desirable 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]