Gryphon Riders!

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Recluce
Landlord

Gryphon Riders!

Post by Recluce »

You may remember that Mike Rayhawk made a fantastic Gryphon Rider picture, one in blue and then another in red when I requested it.

Well, I finally finished my minifig versions of them. The pics are big....

Red Rider Legofreak got this guy for his birthday, as the gold griffon on a red background is his CC coat of arms.

Blue Rider This one if for Mike Rayhawk, if he wants it.

The shield designs were done by Kaminoan, awesome job. They are overcoated with a thick laquer to make them last (and shine). The Griffons I first masked off all of the white area with tape, and spray painted them gold. I used the Testors spray gold and it's FANTASTIC! I used many passes and light coats to get a very even and natural looking gold coat. The white of the griffons' mane is white testors painted on by hand. The entire griffon has been overcoated with a clear protectant (though for whatever reason it did leave a white film on parts of the griffon. GRRR) The griffon wings in red were sprayed with testors, the blue was hand painted with testors. Both colors are great and match perfectly. The axes were similarly masked off and painted with the testors gold. Everything else is stock lego.
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

These are very impressive creations. I like the colour coding between the gryphon and its rider. The shields have a very good design, and I think that the gryphon coats are particularly impressive. Excellent!
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

These are incredible! The paint job on both is extremely well done, but then we expect nothing less from you. I think the blue one is my favorite.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
pacman110011
Artisan

Post by pacman110011 »

Oh my…holy awesome… You, good lady, have astounded me. The paint jobs are perfect, a great way to bring the art to life. Patrick and Mike are two lucky guys! I don't know if I can say more, I'm dumbstruck. I just want to stare at them. You made my day Emily.
-Devin
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

These are really great. I tend to avoid looking at customs, but this has been done very well. There's also a certain quality of "Classic" about these too, thanks primarily I think to the simple colours.

Any chance of mass-producing them? :wink:
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

Fantastic job. Although the original drawing looked more like dark blue (or an in-between blue), I like it in normal blue as well. The red one is perfect. I don't know what else to say, except, again, that they're great.

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

It's actually a hippogriff (half eagle, half horse as opposed to a griffon, which is half eagle, half lion). Could I be any more anal? Well, probably. :)

But seriously, those are really nice. I'm digging the paint-job and the choice of parts to make up the minifig. Looks fantastic. I'm partial to the red version - and I have to hand it to you on managing (even after taping it off) to get such a clean paint app on the beak.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
leaf_of_lire
Reeve

Post by leaf_of_lire »

It looks good, the blue wings looks nice along with the blue rider.
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

Damien wrote:It's actually a hippogriff (half eagle, half horse as opposed to a griffon, which is half eagle, half lion). Could I be any more anal? Well, probably. :)
Believe me, I know it's a hippoegriff, but I was calling it what the original creater called it, for reasons of familiarity and identification.

I too was shocked and pleased at the smoothness of the paint application. Guess I got lucky.
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

Wow... those griffins... are just perfect :). How about a golden-white one;without the blues and the reds. (I want one too for my birthday:P)
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

Where or how did you get those griffins? Also I think I have seen a drawing also.
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

Absolutely incredible work, Emily!
The blue one looks just like the artwork. If I had to pick a favorite it would be the blue version, just because it's my favorite color.
I think you are the first person I've seen paint the Hippogriff piece, it came out very nice.

~Amanda
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

Patron of the lego wrote:Where or how did you get those griffins? Also I think I have seen a drawing also.
It's a regular lego piece, came with the Harry Potter sets.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

WOW! These are great Emily! I am partial to the blue (surprise, surprise), but I like them both very much. I think I am most impressed by the even, yet thin coat of paint you got on these. What brand do you use? The gold beaks really make the design.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

The gold is a testors flat gold spray paint. Very nice even coat if you do lots of light passes and several coats.