Weekly Set Review: Supply Wagon

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Anonym0us
Villein

Post by Anonym0us »

This is a really great set. Simple and sweet!
9/10
Luis, you're 12 huh?
Actually he's 11, turning 12. 1991's (me) turned 13 this year. :lol: :roll:
Last edited by Anonym0us on Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Anonym0us wrote:This is a really great set. Simple and sweet!
Luis, you're 12 huh?
Actually he's 10, turning 11. 1991's (me) turned 13 this year. :lol: :roll:
He was born 12 years ago (2004-1992=12) but is only ten? Hey, at my age, that's a great deal, tell me how ya do it! :lol:
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Anonym0us
Villein

Post by Anonym0us »

My bro was born in 1993 in August and he's 10.

Luis was born in 1992 in August so he must be 11.

I'm sorry I ever brought this up! Let's just drop it and get back to the supply cart!
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Simple, well done, well conceived. The minifig is cool too.
Perfect !

10/10

1984 was so a great year.
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Post by Chancellor Erik »

He sure has a lot of weaponry, which leads me to believe he's a well armed, Megablocks kickin', super peasant! Never owned it, but if I could get one (or more than 1) I would in an instant. 8/10 for lack of other accessories (as said before, the treasure chest and barrel weren't made back then).
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"
Todd
Freeman

Post by Todd »

I really loved this set when I got it in the 80's. I haven't reconstructed it recently though.
Don't make me angry... I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

Lego has definately produced bigger and more elaborate sets than this. However, that doesn't mean that this isn't a great set.

I'm really not sure why Lego has gotten away from making sets like these, as they used to be their bread and butter. Not everyone can afford to buy the most expensive castles every time they are released. However, I would immagine that the sets they made similar to this sold quite well, and were popular.

I have found that it is little sets like these that usually bring back great memories. The bigger castles were usually only acquired for some occassion, such as a birthday. However, smaller sets like these were often given as a reward for behaving on long car trips, or simply as a little surprise. They also provided companionship on days away from home. These are the sets that evoke great memories.

As for this set, I don't think itcould be done much better. You get a nice little cart, some extra and always appreciated weapons, and a horse. Great pieces, and probably a good value. 9 out of 10.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

I always like to go back to Lugnet and check out what was written about these sets there:
Paul Baulch: "My first ever castle set - at least until my birthday..."
Stelios Kalogreades: "Nice round shield."
John P. Henderson, Esq.: "Peasant/Mercent/Etc. Great fig! Decent cart."
Mark Zakrzewski: "This was my absolute FAVORITE character as a kid: the blacksmith. He rules!!"
Jonathan Nichol: "more peasants!"
Karin Franklin: "well supplied!"
Mark Chittenden: "Nice that this guy isn't committed to just one fraction ;)"
James Brink: "Nice cart with a peasant and lots of weapons."
Arne Nielsen: "Bought in toy store March 2004"
Aaron J. Muhl: "Peasant minifig, round shield and anvil! Great set!"
Jim Glendinning: "Also my favourite character as a kid!! Love the pouch design"
Dave Kopleton: "My favorite small classic castle set !!!"
Josh Royd Wedin: "Good little wagon. Lots of weapons and a peasent!"
Daniel Mallott: "But I'm missing the red sloped piece"
Andy McCullough: "A peasant and a round shield and a nice little cart, great simple set."
BTW, what is everyone going to write about once we go through all the old sets?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

BTW, what is everyone going to write about once we go through all the old sets?
This is something that several of us have discussed a long time ago. The reviews of existing sets should last atleast 3 years. By that time, it will probably be fine to restart the reviews of previously reviewed sets (because we should have alot of new members). For example, alot of current members were not around when we reviewed Bull's Attack or the Black Falcon's Fortress.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Ah...

Beautiful set!

A peasant, a cart, and a lovely collection of weapons. A nice set. Hard to say anything bad about it.

Parts: 7/10
Playability: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 8/10
Design (then): 8/10
Design (now): 9/10
Nostalgia: 7.5/10

Overall Score: 7.92/10
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

Anonym0us wrote:My bro was born in 1993 in August and he's 10.

Luis was born in 1992 in August so he must be 11.

I'm sorry I ever brought this up! Let's just drop it and get back to the supply cart!
Well, I joined C-C with twelve, so I suppose I was twelve then( because I'm thirteen now).

But let's keep it on topic.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

I won this set in CCC1 :D
So, it's one of the very few sets I keep build, and it is in my showcase (what's the proper word for that?) in the livingroom. Needless to say, I love it :D
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!
mscannell
Serf

Post by mscannell »

This set is a case where simpicity equals excellence. This set comes with many accessories for a set of its size. Is the red thing suppose to be a treasure chest before lego started to create those?
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I have to say that I enjoy these carts, especially the ones from "way back when". This one is great for the peasant minifig (you can never have enough of 'em) and the round shield, not to mention the other weapons and horse. A great value at the time, I have a feeling it costs a bit more now, but still, a nice set to have in your collection.

I like it very much~
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Sheen
Apprentice

Weekly Set Review: Supply Wagon

Post by Sheen »

Wow, how did I miss this set? I usually ended up buying the small ones for lack of an income to buy the large ones with, but this one got by me. I give it an 8/10 for simplicity in design to keep it cheap but yet lots of accessories, a horse and highly useful fig that's filled many a role for me. I could have used a couple more black axes just the other day...
Sheen

Avatar photo is a small piece of Black Dragon by Alphonse Capone