Weekly Set Review: Rogue Knight Battleship

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Rogue Knight Battleship

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 8821 Rogue Knight Battleship.

Rogue Knight Battleship was released in 2006 for Knight's Kingdom II. Drascus and a rogue knight man their dragon sail ship for invasion. Kentis guards his tower dock with a catapult.

Last edited by architect on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

This set is one that I like somewhat. I don't like the design of the fort or the ship. However, the minifigs and accesories are very nice. The three euro armors have very cool printing on the one guy has a flair, which rocks. Overall:

6/10

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Anubisconq
Bailiff

Post by Anubisconq »

My first impression: That ship will never sail!

This is an alright set, but it is definately not worth the 20 bucks it is priced at. I think it's closer to 15. The one knight, Dracus, looks like he forgot to get dressed! I mean, what's up with yellow hose!?! It wouldn't be so bad if he was a fleshie, but he is yellow skinned, therefore giving the appearance of him being in a pair of underwear. How embarrassing!

Also, there'e the catapult. I will call it what another user called a different ballista- I christen thee the crapapult. I mean, look at it! It's tiny! It's almost as bad as the horse mounted catapults.

The only items of virtue are:
-The wings/sails on the ship. I like the silver edges
-Dark green armor. I know it's jelly-ish, but the chainmail is sweet.
-Two Shadow Knight helms in that goofy silver-black combo color.

There's my two cents.

EDIT: Why is the picture different from when this topic was first posted? The first was clearer.
Last edited by Anubisconq on Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

This is one of the KK2 sets I passed on and I'm usually a sucker for boats. This one however looked pretty poor on the box cover and now looking at it on the front page, it looks even worse. Glad I passed.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Emp.Justinian
Archer

Post by Emp.Justinian »

This set, while a marked improvment over KK 1and 2 still esentialy stinks. As Anubisonq said the bad knights look exactly like they are still in their underwear. It's like the knight equivalent of those dreams where you go to school and forget your pants. Also this isn't a symptome of sickmindedness, it's just the way the guys look. Also the boat dosn't compare at all to the sea serpent. I get the feeling that Lego was trying to recreate that here. Still not the golden age by far. But not the worst KK2 set either.

God speed

Emp.Justinian
Support the true king, Support SavaTheAggie!

A proud member of the Legion of Aggie

I Pledge Allegiance to SavaTheAggie
and to the empire for which it rules
one Empire under One Admin
invincible, with tyranny and injustice for all.
Baned
Foot Soldier

Post by Baned »

The figs and their accessories are great, except the yellow legs.
The mini tower seems like it serves little other purpose than to hold the catapult.
The boat just doesn't seem finished, and dragon wings are NOT sails, sorry. And instead of an even smaller catapult, crossbows would be a much better ranged weapon.
Peeron contributions: 577 (Viking Chess), 7009, 7654, 7655, 7695, 7771, 8813, 8821, and 8822.

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MaccyG]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
zac_schmitt
Freeman

Post by zac_schmitt »

this boat really works for me. it's got a sleek look to it, and while the dragon wing sails didn't suit my fancy at first (it seemed to me that lego was simply gypping me out of sails), they've quite grown on me. it's not too much of a stretch of the imagination that these guys have dragons as part of their heraldry because they're so good at killing the beasts...and using their body parts in their ships. i also figure dragon wings would be light and strong, considering their primary function on the dragon itself. still, the look of it is very much a matter of personal preference. at worst, though, it's a pair of dragon wings in a color unavailable on any other dragon i'm aware of.

the yellow legs (i always thought they were supposed to be wearing yellow clothing, which, of course, happens to match their skin tone) i also reconciled figuring that that they hailed from a warm climate and took a greek or roman sort of a approach to arms and armor.

the harbor/tower thing is simple but neat in its own way as an extra. the armor, especially dracus's and kentis's breastplates, are quite cool as well.
79% of Classic Castle hates KK2. If you're one of the 20% that loves it, paste this into your sig. Started by Danju.
ericgizmo
Freeman

Post by ericgizmo »

my friend got this set but it only came with 2 figs
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Hmm, the design of the ship and tower weren't as good as I had initially hoped and I never ended up purchasing this set. I like the rouge knight, but that's really all that interests me in this set. I would much rather buy the gate set for those figs (copper armor).

I do like that the ship is make out of parts, but it still lacks something drastic to me. The dragon wings as sails are alright, and were a nice idea, but soemhow they just don't come off as I think TLG was thinking they would.

Overal not great, but not horrible either. If I were younger this set would probably appeal to me more.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
leaf_of_lire
Reeve

Post by leaf_of_lire »

I got this set including the rest of this KK2 series for my B-day, one of the better sets of KK2. The armors were good, and the green guy has a mace. The tower/port had a nice little design. Overall: 7/10
Rusty Brick
Laborer

Post by Rusty Brick »

I got this set half off, and that is about all I would have paid for it. I was more impressed with the boat than I expected to be--I like the different positions the sails can be placed in. However, the set didn't last a week before I pulled it apart for pieces.

What is really sad is how much I miss the Scorpion Shadow knights. The Naked Knights (or whatever they are supposed to be called) have cool euro armor but no pants. Also, I'm not planning on collecting an army of the skeleton faction with the new castle 2007 line. I realize the Scorpion 's of KKII are not really true to heraldry, but at least they were alive and wearing clothing.

Sorry for going off topic. The set is maybe 6/10.
~R. Brick

Got Lego?
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

This set has some merits, but the figs can all be gotten in the much bigger and higher quality Battle At The Pass so I didn't see much point in buying it. However, I'm sure someone can find a use for the dragon wings.

- Matt
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Being a set-collector (sigh) I also got this.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

I got his set. But I have to say I thought it has its ups and downs. Lets start with the downs. The tower and the catapuly platform has no way to get up. The tower design is very stupid. The sails are dragon wings. The ups are the boat hull, the minifigures, and the weapons are great. Also the catapult designs are cool.
6/10 I am leniet to all lego sets :) gooday to all
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

For a KKII set, it's okay, but the design and colouration will never compete with a Classic ship set like the Sea Serpent. Overall, it is mediocre.