Weekly Set Review: Wolfpack Renegades

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Wolfpack Renegades

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6038 Wolfpack Renegades.

Wolfpack Renegades, released in 1992, is a smuggling cart for the Wolfpack. It contains a secret compartment for a minifigure or treasure. The set also has a driver, a foot soldier, and accessories.

Last edited by architect on Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

I never really liked the wolfpack, so I suppose my view is a little biased. The cart and horse would be nice for a village, but I'd prefer Forestmen or Black Falcons. Still better than anything now.

6.5/10

--Caleb
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

1 Horse
+2 soldiers
+7 wepons
+4 weels
+2 hoods
+1 barrel
+1 chest
+1 sheild
+1 great flag
+1 horse hitch
= 1 fantastic set!
however, I do not like how the wolfpack/peasant hoods looked with a plastic cape.

So, overall, 9.132/10
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

I didn't really like the wolfpack that much either since they only had 2 sets. The hoods and horse with wheels and capes and a chest and other things are nice though, so 7/10.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

A nice cart, one of the bigger carts, which is built and looks nice. Got usefull blue bricks. Included 2 WP which are rather rare, and for a small set are great.
2 plastics caps, one black and one red which were more hard to get in a small set back then - and both in one is even better.
It included a blue saddle as well which is not mantioned anywhere, only on the instructions.

It's one of the carts that is really based on this cart from the idea book 250 from 1987:

http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/000 ... 50-43.html

using the concept of a trojan horse. You can summgle with it a minifig or a treasure chest. The minifg don't fit perect however.
The cart in the idea book is better in my opinion though, it is much more intresting and worth building for those of you who got the parts.

I bought that set like 3 years ago, and I think it was a very good set. Wih I had it as a kid, I'd probably would enjoyed it more.
The treasure chest/berrel concept is really getting boring, I wish LEGO will start to make some more varity with those stuff.

Final score: 9/10

A nice cart but not the best

P.S.

Sir Terrance Wrote:
I didn't really like the wolfpack that much either since they only had 2 sets
Well actually they had 3:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/sy ... e/wolfpack
Last edited by Webrain on Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

Darn, another set posted just to make me cry for being so young when it was out. :lol:

Anyhow, I like the selection of minifig parts it comes with, from the figs themselves to the extra weapons and stuff. The cart is also nice and has fairly basic pieces in it which can be nice.

I think I'd give it a 7.5/10.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Well, I'd say the set it's self is mediocre, but the Wolfpack is...well...let's just say it's one of the best factions LEGO created. :D

I don't like the plastic capes on Wolfpack either, but at least you have them in very versatile colors. I like all the accessory's although a quiver would have been nice, and I like the inclusion of a horse.
To TLC: Please? Even something like this is better than
K****t's K*****m II.
Jehkar
Peasant

Post by Jehkar »

I remember my aunt getting me this set at a toy store and I loved it.
2 minifigs in a good sized set, lots of weapons, that Wolfpack flag, and a horse (i thought they were cool back then) I think this was the only set I ever got multiples of as a child (3-5 range).
9/10.
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Megablocks followed with him." Revelations 6:8
Stephen
Laborer

Post by Stephen »

6038 - Wolfpack Renegades was a great set for me. I've always thought the Wolfpack guys should be knights, so I started putting helmets on them right away. The flag in this set was a nice bonus for my Wolf army.

The hoods and capes were useful for converting other theme minifigs into peasants. Lots of weapons and a good selection of black 1x plates were included in this set.

The only thing I didn't like was the eyepatch on one of the minifigs. I figured TLC was just trying to unload their leftover pirate heads.

Overall, I think this was a great set.
Stephen
ed_dotcom
Laborer

Post by ed_dotcom »

I too was a person who got this set in multiples as a kid. I think I had about 7 at one time. I always liked the fact that the set came with so many weapons. Because of that fact, and the fact that some group needed to ambush the Black Falcons (and were not as 'merry' as the Forestmen). I would give this set 9/10. I really liked these guys, I wish LEGO had made more hideouts for them.

Life is Good.
i am ed & i'm a LEGOholic.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=edeevo]Bricklink Store.[/url]
[url=http://shop.ebay.com/edeevo/m.html?_nkw=&_a ... ksid=p3686]eBay.[/url]
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I just got one of these MISB a couple days ago and built.

First things first - somebody said it needs a quiver. It came with a quiver.

Next, these guys are armed to the teeth. 2 guys with about a billion weapons. Awesome. This set makes me sad though. It was one of the many great 1992 sets that I wanted to buy but didn't because it happened to be the same time as I was getting out of LEGO. In fact, I think 1992 was the last year with a strong castle line. Sucks for me.

Anyway, there should be a new cart every year or two. They are needed to flesh out a village. This is a great example of that. For $8, you get 2 minifigs, a horse, a cart, a wolfpack flag, a wolfpack shield, a chest, a barrel, and a couple million weapons. If this was available now for $8-$10, I would buy many. Unfortunately, it seems as if something so simple and perfect is beyond TLG these days.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I am another who was not that fond of the Wolfpack when they came out. After I emerged from my last Dark Age, for some reason I did. Go figure, anyway I managed to find this set and the Wolfpack Tower at a cigar shop a few years ago at the original retail price. That was a great find and I was very happy with the purchase. I bought a few more Wofpack figs off evil-bay shortly after that and I now have a little band of 20 werewolves. Yup I turned the wolfpack into werewolves. A little lame yes, but I thought it was funny. That cart itself wasn't too bad as cart sets go and the inclusion of the Wolfpack flag and all those weapons was great. I switched out all those plastic capes from brown canvas capes now and I like that a lot better. I'd rank this set at 7.5/10 back then and an 8.5/10 now.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

i guess this wasnone of my first sets and i played whit it alot but however i dont like the blue color so ill give it a 7/10
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

I got this set when it came out way back when I was 20 :) Anyways, I like the cart, mainly for the secret compartment. I copied it on MOC carts with larger compartmens for weapons, minifig or whatever. As others have mentioned it would be nice to have something as value priced as this today both in terms of fig and parts ratio. 8.5/10
Troy T. Moore
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Post by Chancellor Erik »

One of my first castle sets, and one of my favorites! I love the wolf pack idea, kid of a counter-forestman civilization. I still have the figs, but took apart the cart long ago. 10/10, I loved playing with this set as a kid.
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"