Copyright, etc.

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Copyright, etc.

Post by Sir Kohran »

One thing I've been wondering about is whether we are actually allowed to use text from published books with MoCs. I don't mean a line or two, I mean when people set out to illustrate the entire book with Lego. When Bruce illustrated LOTR, he used some of the book dialogue with his own descriptions of what was going on. Brendan Powell Smith has said about the Brick Testament that he uses text from various different versions of the Bible to avoid copyright issues. So how far do our 'rights' to published works go? What can and what can't we do?
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

As long as you say it is from which book, yes its aloud. Like if you say its from LOTR its perfectly fine.

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

Where do you get that from? I don't think legally you're allowed to completely put up huge paragraphs and chapters vbut I don't have a real clue, to be honest.

~Ziggy, who wonders why Anthony has dubed you noob while I was away...
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

As long as you say its from someone elses book, its fine. our not plagiarizing.

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
Lonan
Foot Soldier

Post by Lonan »

This is not legal advice, but generally as long as you credit the source and aren't using it for COMMERCIAL purposes, you're probably not going to anger the gods of intellectual property. Now, if you were putting the entire book online so people didn't have to buy it, then you'd have a problem. Or, if you were posting things on a website and charging people fees, selling a load of advertising, etc. they'd probably come after you. Things like fan fiction or models of your favorite characters probably aren't going to result in a lawsuit. Corporations have seen what happens when they Megablocks on their internet fanbase. "cough"Metallica"cough"
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=koolhand77]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/msm1977/]The Graven Hawk[/url] a short story