Exclusive Set Review: 7094 King's Castle Siege

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Exclusive Set Review: 7094 King's Castle Siege

Post by architect »

Check out my exclusive review of the latest castle: 7094 King's Castle Siege. Post your opinions about the set design, construction, playability, and piece selection. If you have any questions, please ask.

http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/arti ... eview.html

Thank you to Steve Witt and the LEGO Community Team for providing this set for me to review. I would also like to thank the LEGO Castle product design team and others for creating this nice castle. You know who you are ;)

Ben Ellermann
CC Sets Admin
Last edited by architect on Tue May 29, 2007 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

What a jolly fun castle to here of eh? I like its structurual design. But peak tower seems odd. But on the other hand, it could happen. If the arches are very strong.
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Hey Ben, thanks for all the pics! This is a great review, and helps solidify the design in my mind. Looks fun, with quite a bit of playability, for those who actually play with the sets!

I especially like the inclusion of that style of drawbridge. I would have liked the rear tower to be a different, but I can't complain at all, especially with the amount of bricks compared to the amoung of 'prefab' parts.

Thanks again!
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Looking good. I don't like that back tower much at all though.

Can't wait to get these though!

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Lawkeeper
Peasant

Post by Lawkeeper »

Yep, I´m definitely gonna buy this set. I like the idea of the modular wall very much, and it has a lot of bricks in it.
Last edited by Lawkeeper on Sat May 19, 2007 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
supernova
Journeyman

Post by supernova »

Looks like there's enough good stuff in this set to get it, (though) I doubt if mine will stay in its original form for too long :)
Thanks Ben for the review!
~~ Supernova ~~

Good trades with: Chrislad77, kelderic, Strider, Unknown Knight and ZIGGY!
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

Woah! That's nice. I'm definitely going to buy 2 of this castle. Then build a bigger one with my own bricks. Man, this's so good. Thanks Ben for the review! I had my doubts about it but now it's all clear.
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Great review, Ben :) & what a fantastic castle. So many cool accessories & figs! Pitty about all those prefab walls & the dragon, but who am I to complain?

Excellent work LEGO! I'm proud of you.

I think I'll start saving now :D
Brickzone
Bailiff

Post by Brickzone »

I'm not fussed on the back tower either, but hey, that can easily be changed. The important things are the range of versatile bricks and the otherwise traditional castle design. For the latter this does look like a really good fusion of old and new; I do in fact think it is a good thing BURPs being used alongside traditional walls (arranged differently one brick higher with the 2x2x2 slopes) and it is good to see things like the staircase piece too. I'm kind of disappointed about the top of the portcullis, but I suppose at least there are a lot of real bricks and arches elsewhere in the design.

I like the use of train windows - the "look" is good and the pieces are very reusable in custom designs. We've already had the use of 1x3 arches to acheive such slots in walls - and those did have the problem of needing an awkward stack of 1x1s when arranged between two corner walls; ending up non-centred too or else needing two stacks of 1x1s and a wider tower.

It does look like the castle could do with some more knights. One knight on horseback where castles of old had four. Maybe the latter is a bit of a stretch nowadays (and particularly in this set where there is an opposing faction included), but even having two "good" knights on horseback would be so much better than one.
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

This is great set a step to correction for the lego company
but it will cost a lot of money

Ísland er best :D
Sir_Brick
Freeman

Post by Sir_Brick »

I would buy this set right away if I had the money, but alas I don't seem to have enough spare cash right now. Soon, though, soon I will own this set!!!
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Yes the back tower bothers me a bit as well, especially its hight :? On the whole though this is clearly the first decent (tlc-) castle for some time. I do not know if I will actually buy it though, 1100 SEK is alot of money for a poor student... so I am going to focus on the big push forward for the castle theme that this whole line signifies instead!

Long Live the Crown Knights!
I'm back, and so is Castle!
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

Looks like a great set. The only thing I do not like is that lego is still using too many large lego pieces [im sure there is a technical term for them]. This set doesnt seem to have many small regular bricks. That what I look for in a set in general. Is this going to be part of the upcoming castle series that has all of the skeletons and what not? I apologize if that question was answered in the review, I skimed through it.
"The sky grows black...shadow falls...the Dark Tide comes..."

[Edgar J.]
Sir Brithead
Apprentice

Post by Sir Brithead »

At first I was a little bummed the walls did not have hinges, but then I realized to add to the walls that have hinges can be a process. Walls with Pins and technic pieces are easy to add to. What I mean by all this is that it will be very simple to expand the size of this castle by making more wall sections without worrying about hinges.

I can not wait for mine to arrive, I bought it on Monday!!!! It was my birthday, and at 31 I can buy my own gifts. I am excited to see if the Skull tower is half as cool, which would still be totally awesome.

So all the waiting is paying off HUGE!!!! and LEGO is back on track with good castle stuff. My wife will go crazy when I spend all her money on these new sets.

PS. The Battle at the Pass walls are all technic pin too, I wonder if they will fit together?
leaf_of_lire
Reeve

Post by leaf_of_lire »

I want it... I guess thats a early B-day present.
I like the weapon holder thing. I can't wait till I get one :D , then I can actually review it. So until then, I have to wait.
EDIT: After looking at the pictures more closely I can sorta review it more. Too bad the skeletons do not have a catapult or battering ram to breach the wall. The only thing I don't like about it is the tower the treasure chest and throne is on, it looks unstable and very fantasy-like. If I have the pieces I maybe will edit it a bit 8) . The prison tower looks neat, although I would prefer this piece more than this one (hopefully this works). I'm really liking this set.