Exclusive Set Review: 7094 King's Castle Siege

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

This looks like one of LEGO's first steps to rehabilitation. Although I don't like the back tower too much, or the amount of prefab pieces, it is still a great set. The high point is the fig/accessory package: haven't seen helms and breastplates like that in a while. Can't wait to get it!
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

This is awesome Ben!!! I am totally pumped. I don't have the money for a while however I have entered a Battle Machine in the new Exo-Force contest on hopes of winning the castle.

~Ziggy
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

Nice review. I like the use of pin construction, here's hoping that follow on sets featuring add-on wall sections & siege equipment are to follow. (Along with second human, not obviously EVIL faction to face off against or ally with, the crown knights.)

With that little tower room shooting off the side of the back tower, I see that they added something I never thought I'd see in a lego castle, a garderobe! :lol:
Blue Head
Steward

Post by Blue Head »

I really like it, makes me think lego has been doing well in their building for once.
bobthelegobuilder
Serf

Post by bobthelegobuilder »

I can not wait for this set to come out and I am still waiting for reviews on the two sets that we have not seen reviewed yet.
You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today. (Abraham Lincoln)
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... egobuilder]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

bobthelegobuilder wrote:I can not wait for this set to come out and I am still waiting for reviews on the two sets that we have not seen reviewed yet.
Actually, they are already out...mostly, the joust set is set to ship soon.

For more see this thread.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Brickzone
Bailiff

Post by Brickzone »

wunztwice wrote:Actually, they are already out...
Except in UK/Ireland where only two little sets are available online and not in real shops yet :(
supernova
Journeyman

Post by supernova »

Brickzone wrote:
Except in UK/Ireland where only two little sets are available online and not in real shops yet :(
On the contrary, I called up Bluewater Lego store a couple of days ago and they had 7009 (joust) and 7090 (small catapult). So it is on *some* stores, and apparently the selection is different from online!

I would probably wait a couple of weeks before picking them up (though), just so my trip won't be to get 2 small sets :)
~~ Supernova ~~

Good trades with: Chrislad77, kelderic, Strider, Unknown Knight and ZIGGY!
DNorton
Villein

Post by DNorton »

I cannot wait to get this set. probaly not the best set ever but it is still awesome
Dan

Manipulators Keep (click on up to veiw other sets.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Pyromanic
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

supernova wrote:
Brickzone wrote:
On the contrary, I called up Bluewater Lego store a couple of days ago and they had 7009 (joust) and 7090 (small catapult). So it is on *some* stores, and apparently the selection is different from online!

I would probably wait a couple of weeks before picking them up (though), just so my trip won't be to get 2 small sets :)
Yes, as I said on the other thread I got 7090 a few days ago.

As to the castle...well almost everything has been said. I like the good assortment of figs, and the front of the walls and the gate is particularly good; reminds me of 6074. The back is less effective - I don't like that chunky piece sitting precariously on that arch like that. Still, overall this is a great set and a sign that Lego is in some ways back to the good old days.

- Matt
ericgizmo
Freeman

Post by ericgizmo »

wow i like how this set looks i am defiently buying this!
bonaparte
Peasant

Post by bonaparte »

Thanks for this great review Ben!
Are you allowed to keep the set once you've reviewed it?

About this set:
It's not bad but I like the old castles (from the Crusaders and Black Falcons) 10 times more. I don't want to be negative, but this set is a bit a missed opportunity to revive the castle theme in it's original glory. To finish with a positive note: the parts are excellent for making MOCs ...
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

bonaparte wrote:Thanks for this great review Ben!
Are you allowed to keep the set once you've reviewed it?
Yes. When LEGO Ambassadors or fans are sent sets to review they get to keep them. This is the first such case for CC, but I know other sites have been sent sets for review in the past.
About this set:
It's not bad but I like the old castles (from the Crusaders and Black Falcons) 10 times more. I don't want to be negative, but this set is a bit a missed opportunity to revive the castle theme in it's original glory. To finish with a positive note: the parts are excellent for making MOCs ...
I agree that the old castles had a slightly better design but I think this set is great compared to recent castles. I am really excited that it has a modular design, nice figures, and a good brick selection.

Ben
Brickzone
Bailiff

Post by Brickzone »

architect wrote: I agree that the old castles had a slightly better design but I think this set is great compared to recent castles. I am really excited that it has a modular design, nice figures, and a good brick selection.

Ben
Personally I think it's better than any of the Royal Knights stuff either nevermind the recent stuff. And the Dragon Knights didn't have a very large castle, so really we are talking the first decent castle here in a *long* time.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Very nice review, Ben. It's almost like having the set. I can say with certainty that I will be picking up at least one copy of this.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.