Scot LUG

Discussion of general LEGO topics
thecustomizerwithoutfear
Peasant

Scot LUG

Post by thecustomizerwithoutfear »

Hello all.

For a while now I have wanted to attend a lego event. But even with Brickish all
of the big events (minus ScotFest which I need to catch one day) are all in
england. And I have no way of getting down there.

So I have created a new LUG just for scotland and I call it Scot LUG. Unlike
brickish this is a free LUG and I want it to stay that way. So come on over and
join up. Its a simple free forum right now but I hope it grows and we have
reular shows.

Here is the link:
http://www.topfreeforum.com/scotlug/ind ... um=scotlug
thecustomizerwithoutfear
Peasant

No one intrested?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

thecustomizerwithoutfear wrote:No one intrested?
Have you posted this announcement on several LEGO fan sites? Do we have other Scottish Afols on Classic-Castle?

Ben
thecustomizerwithoutfear
Peasant

Hi Ben.

I posted it on a few lego fan sites yeah. I'm not sure ;) Thats why I was kinda trying to get it noticed thats all.
Dunechaser
Councilor

Post by Dunechaser »

Hmmm... Maybe I can help by providing a little bit of data to guage interest in a Scottish LUG, based on the proportion of visitors from Scotland to The Brothers Brick. I'm only using our own numbers because this is the only "hard data" I have access to that might be useful to you, since I don't know what LEGO's sales numbers are in Scotland. I don't have anything to compare to, so I don't even really know if these numbers are "good" or "bad" or "high" or "low" for ourselves. :-)

Disclaimer: This information comes from Google Analytics. Google Analytics doesn't collect, nor would The Brothers Brick use, personally identifiable information. This is just "aggregate data" that helps us see broad patterns about our readers in general, thereby helping us focus our posting on the sort of things our readers will find most interesting.

In the last month, The Brothers Brick has had 24,978 visits, of which 2,039 were from The United Kingdom (these numbers don't include people on the RSS feed; for technical reasons, I don't have access to that data). Here's how that looks on a map:

Those dots represent cities from which someone visited the site. And note that "visits" isn't the same thing as "visitors." One person could have visited the site 50 times. Here's the city list (I wanted to follow CC image size guidelines; if you squint, you can kind of read their names):

What this data shows is that there were only 99 visits from people in Edinburgh; Aberdeen 3; Dundee 2; Glasgow 1, etc. While Edinburgh was a top-5 city in the UK, there was virtually no traffic from the rest of Scotland. Incidentally, numbers were similarly low for both Northern Ireland (part of these UK numbers) and the Republic of Ireland (the latter not part of the UK, obviously).

I think we can safely assume that only a small proportion of AFOLs read The Brothers Brick, in much the same way that I assume only a small percentage are active on forums like this. Still, I think we can infer a few things from ratios and proportions. Overall, there were probably 150 visits to TBB from readers in Scotland, compared to over 2,000 for the UK generally and nearly 25,000 overall.

What this tells me -- and you could interpret the numbers differently or even discount them completely -- is that LEGO may not be nearly popular enough in Scotland, Northern Ireland, or the Republic of Ireland to support LUGs of their own. :( (Being an ignorant American, I'm not familiar enough with which cities are in Wales to make this generalization about Wales.)

Perhaps there are ways to grow the community in Scotland, though -- and maybe starting a LUG with a handful of members is the first step! :D If so, I'm sure you have all of our full support, and we'd all be eager to help promote it in whatever way we can.
-Andrew B.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunechaser/]Flickr[/url] | [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com/]The Brothers Brick[/url]