Black Falcons Castle

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
symwyse
Peasant

Black Falcons Castle

Post by symwyse »

Here's a little MOC that I threw together- I'm not satisfied with the way it turned out, but decided to share it anyway. Tell me what you think. Constructive criticism is welcome.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2544295

KTHXBY! :D
Blue Head
Steward

Post by Blue Head »

from what I can see from the little pic, I think it looks good. Ill post again when the folder is public.
symwyse
Peasant

Post by symwyse »

Blue Head wrote:from what I can see from the little pic, I think it looks good. Ill post again when the folder is public.
It's not public? Hmm. How do I go about making it a public folder? I'm new at this sort of thing...
*insert witty signature here*
Blue Head
Steward

Post by Blue Head »

just wait for a mod to look over it to see if its all kid friendly. Once he okays it it'll be viewable. for now make a deeplink. To make a deeplink just click the image until it is as big as it gets and copy the link. Then just post it here. Since I don't think I did a great job of explaining it just wait for someone else to reply.
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

I like it! Looks like a nice upgrade to the BFF. :)

I like the asymmetry and the cramped quarters. One thing you could improve upon is to use less of the wall panel pieces if possible, because they're quite obvious in some parts.
-Bryan
symwyse
Peasant

Post by symwyse »

Gumby wrote:I like it! Looks like a nice upgrade to the BFF. :)

I like the asymmetry and the cramped quarters. One thing you could improve upon is to use less of the wall panel pieces if possible, because they're quite obvious in some parts.
Aha! I knew someone would mention that sooner or later :D . I used the three BFFs that I had to build this in addition to some other random pieces. Looking at a lot of the other MOCs that I've seen here, I definitely know what I should do in the future.

Thanks for your input!
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: Black Falcons Castle

Post by footsteps »

symwyse wrote:I'm not satisfied with the way it turned out.
What, pray tell, don't you like about it? That's a great rendition of the BFF - and made from only 3 copies of it. I think you did a great job. I'd say you've made the original set to look like a pale copy of the "original" (i.e. yours).

The only way to make it better would be to add interior details, though that would mean using parts other than from a BFF set. That would make an interesting upgrade, but otherwise, this MOC stands on its own.

Well done.

Alan.
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Very cool, it's got that great LEGO castle feel but with a realistic & impressive height. The are some nice minifig details as well. I kind of wish that it hinged open though.
Blue Head
Steward

Post by Blue Head »

Nice work. I also think that a few wall pannels less would be better. great job none the less.
symwyse
Peasant

Re: Black Falcons Castle

Post by symwyse »

I wanted it to have more playability, though I wasn't able to get the hinge assembly just right for it to open and close, etc. In the future, I will give more consideration to this as well instead of just the outside walls.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Nice looking fortress. But I think you need more pics and in higher image resolutions. At least 800x600 in size.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
ohms_dad
Villein

Post by ohms_dad »

I really like the tree on the side and all of the other greenery / details. I am OK with the wall panel pieces, I know with my modest brick supply, I would have a difficult time color coordinating my castles if it were not for them. I also like the columns breaking up the flatness of the walls.

Aesthetically, I like the height, but it seems that it would hurt the playability due to accessibility issues. For my taste, I would also pull out the drawbridge tower a few more brick widths to help it stand out a bit.

It is an excellent MOC for only six hours work.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

This looks very good! I like style, because it stays true to the BF sets.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.