People doing nothing?

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Hob Took
Reeve

People doing nothing?

Post by Hob Took »

I looked at the memberlist and there are over 500 members that haven't made a single post! Some of these members joined in 2003. Some joined 2 days ago, but still there are a lot of users that have no posts in over 4 years. Maybe a rule should be put in that you have to post at least once within x time of registering. This would keep out people who register, but do nothing but take up space. Just thought someone might want to look into this.

Hob Took
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

There are a few members I saw logging on while having zero post. So it is not everyone.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I'm afraid this is often the case with most successful forums - BZPower has over thirty thousand members, yet there are only about ten thousand or so who are genuinely active.

- Matt
Saaz
Freeman

Post by Saaz »

I've been involved with online forums for about 20 years, and I assure you this is normal, and nothing should be done about it. A large percentage of people lurk, and for whatever reason, don't post anything.

A lot of people (including me) think it's a good idea to lurk for a while to get a feel for a forum before posting anything. That might account for some of the new non-posting members.
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

& what about old members who decide to return? They wouldn't be happy to find their account deleted :)
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

It's not a big deal. For example, My first post was Mar. 11th of this year, while I joined Sep. 14th 2004. I 'lurked' all the time without logging in. It gave me a chance to see which people I had things in common with and kept me from blasting people whom I disagreed with. While I sort of see your point and I posted in the spamming thread about an idea I had for non posters, I realize that it is not necessary. If it bothers you that there are so many people, then do what I do. I wrote down a list of people I enjoy talking to or seeing their creations or reading their comments. As for the people I don't particularly enjoy... well I just don't pay them no mind. (And no there is no list, and if there were it would be very small) :P
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
The_Hun
Laborer

Post by The_Hun »

Saaz wrote:A lot of people (including me) think it's a good idea to lurk for a while to get a feel for a forum before posting anything.
This is exactly what I did before my first post here, and on other forums, too.

But perhaps very shy people also like to think of themselves as members of a community. :lol:
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=The_Hun]My Bricklink[/url] * [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=TheHun]My Brickshelf[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

The admins have also noticed that some members lurk for long periods before posting. Some members only post once in a blue moon. We do need to go back through the zero posters because there are a few obvious spammers in that group who could be deleted. At this time we do not want to delete all zero posters.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

one reason I can think of to join and not post:
oftentimes I come in and hit the "view new topics since you were here last" or whatever it is. That way I don't have to read through every category trying to remember whats new and whats not, and what I looked at or didn't.

Most of the time I don't feel the need to spout my opinion, 'specially if I really don't have anything to add. (sometimes I add a bit of trivial nonesense, but heck, we all do... don't we?) Often I only try to post if I have a question, an answer, or a reason I like or dislike something.

So anyway, the short answer is - don't bug the people who don't feel the need to post. At least they aren't posting two word "great job!" posts. :D

Freak
Rusty Brick
Laborer

Post by Rusty Brick »

Great job.

I thought about leaving my post at that, but I was actually wondering how many "active" members are there in our corner of the web? And what was going on June 25 that had 210 members online at once? The previous record seemed to be very old. Neither of those questions seemed to warrant a new thread, but I really have been wondering.
~R. Brick

Got Lego?
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

Rusty Brick wrote:And what was going on June 25 that had 210 members online at once?
That was 210 total users online. Includes members, guests, and hiddens. I would love to see that record broken :D !
Hob Took
Reeve

Post by Hob Took »

Maybe everyone just decided "Hey, I want to go on Classic Castle Forums today." Last record was around seventies-eighties I think. There are 982 members who have 1 or more posts.

Hob Took
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

Hob Took wrote:Maybe everyone just decided "Hey, I want to go on Classic Castle Forums today." Last record was around seventies-eighties I think. There are 982 members who have 1 or more posts.

Hob Took
Yes 982 members, and only one LORD DOOM. :D

Yay me!~

No but people like QuickBlade who's now my homie would have been deleted for not posting. He was here since like 04 and he never posted until last month or so. That'd be annoying for him if he'd have to renew his membership. I don't understand why it bothers you that there's so many members. It makes CC look good. Cause it is.
Hob Took
Reeve

Post by Hob Took »

I just found it odd that 1/3 of the total number of members haven't done anything. I didn't know that this was common in forums. I thought that by the time someone decided to join they'd want to say something.

Hob Took
Odysseus
Laborer

Post by Odysseus »

That is how it is on most of the other forums to which I belong. I think that some people might join because registering offers certain benefits. For example, some sites allow members to view additional content. I think that one of the main benefits to those that join but do not contribute is that they can see what threads are new since their last visits. This helps them avoid going through each section of the forum to see what is new based on date and time.

Jonathan