Weekly Set Review: Vladek's Siege Engine

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Vladek's Siege Engine

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 8800 Vladek's Siege Engine.

Vladek's Siege Engine was released in 2004 for Knight's Kingdom II. This siege tower has a swinging battering ram with a dragon head. The tower's drawbridge can be lower to scale castle walls. Vladek, a Shadow Knight, and various accessories are included.

Last edited by architect on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

I was not a big fan of BUS (Big Ugly Shield) in the sets but besides that everything else is ok. (maybe a few more things worth mentioning) There isn't much playability in the set seeing how the siege tower had nothing to siege. Also these three minifigs must be really strong to make the tower move.
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

This is alright, considering the fact that it's KKII. The design and colouration are not gaudy, and it seems to be relatively functional. In my opinion, the Shadow Knight half of KKII was far better than the Jellies, not only in terms of figs, but in set design too.
Ben the lego king
Apprentice

Post by Ben the lego king »

Hi

I did not buy this set and isn't that nice of a set. the KKII is not that nice of a line. the shadow knight is ok but the other fig isn't if you got the castle wall with the set it mite be ok. on a scale of 1to10 I'd rate this 6
KKI is the best KKI is the best
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

I never purchased this set after the initial optimism I had for the return of Knights Kingdom, I had lost interest in KK2 by this stage of the lines release.

I agree with the post of Spongey that;
In my opinion, the Shadow Knight half of KKII was far better than the Jellies

Some comparisons to this set are;

6061 Siege Tower www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/6061.html
6096 Bull's Attack www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/6096.html
8875 King's siege Tower www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/8875.html

The KK2 siege engines look the strongest but towers using 1x brick columns seem more realistic and replicate timber construction better.

Vladek standing on the drawbridge definitely looks a more intimidating or mighty figure to fear in this set then Jelly Jayco in set 8875 who on the kings siege tower appears to be falling off.

Mario
Kozai13
Peasant

Post by Kozai13 »

I got the thing that came with this and the knights wall thing. This set is ok for pieces and figs but as a set.........its a very bad design.
Matt

Check out my brickshelf account:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Matman13

And my brickset profile:
http://www.brickset.com/profile/default.aspx?user=Matman13
Nick Durron
Serf

Post by Nick Durron »

This is a very flimsy set. Siege engines probably didn't have big paper shields on the sides, and they certainly wouldn't have holes all over them. I also think that, if this were a real siege engine, the drawbridge/walkway would be higher.
The Trojan Rabbit
Peasant

Post by The Trojan Rabbit »

Nick Durron wrote:This is a very flimsy set. Siege engines probably didn't have big paper shields on the sides, and they certainly wouldn't have holes all over them. I also think that, if this were a real siege engine, the drawbridge/walkway would be higher.
A paper shield? How low has LEGO fallen during the KK2 line :lol: ..
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

The Trojan Rabbit wrote:
Nick Durron wrote:This is a very flimsy set. Siege engines probably didn't have big paper shields on the sides, and they certainly wouldn't have holes all over them. I also think that, if this were a real siege engine, the drawbridge/walkway would be higher.
A paper shield? How low has LEGO fallen during the KK2 line :lol: ..
I think they were a sort of card.

- Matt
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

It is ok the shields aren't very nice but it gives you some black bricks

lego var einu sinni framleitt á Íslandi
sir lockt
Villein

Post by sir lockt »

For the record: I own this set:

Pros:
- I bought it in a combo pack with the wall (8799). What I really liked is the way the gate of this wall is closed (with the bar on the back) it can be actually breached by this ram. (just by swinging it, without adding extra force...it takes about 4-5 blows)
- It was cheap...I payed E20,- for the combo pack
- If you need pikes for your army, this set is actually quite equiped.

Cons:
- Like said so many times: that paper shield.. brrrr :S
- The construction is very fragile. When building it you have to be very carefull not to crush it, and when it stands it is "top-heavy".

Final note: I think the price pulled me over. 2 sets for that amount of money was a good deal i think. When it wasnt packed in a set I wouldnt have buyed it.
ericgizmo
Freeman

Post by ericgizmo »

i never got this set do to some reasons 1. they already had siege towers it just one of em with deferent design 2. there is nothing to do with the set picture this (a little kid goes to the store mommy mommy i want to buy that set! ok dear when the kid gets home he build it and now he dosnt know what to do so he cryies :cry: ) 3. i hate the big sheilds and hated how lego made action figures of the knights and how they came with cards also i wasnt a fan of legos that had a ton of mian charaters i just like the new castle theme how theres is just knights and skeltons and a king and evil wizard that only apper in one set :)
The Shadow Knight
Archer

Post by The Shadow Knight »

I don't like this set at all. First of all there should be some more minifigures or horses to push/pull the siege tower. And there are really no good pieces in the set. There are a lot of other reasons why I don't like this set. For me, I give this set two thumbs down. :cry:
-May your winds be fair !
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Terrible set design. Cardboard shields! I guess the part selection isn't too bad, though it is a bit pricey.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Rusty Brick
Laborer

Post by Rusty Brick »

I have no comment on this set as I never bought it nor looked closely at it. But thank heavens KKII is gone and castle 07 has arrived! I don't think my love of Lego could have lasted many more sets like this.
~R. Brick

Got Lego?