2 Questions

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Mid Knight
Peasant

2 Questions

Post by Mid Knight »

Hi, I have a question. Were there still knights during the Renaissance, or were they called something else? And what type of armor did they wear? Anyone have (an) accurate picture(s)?

One more question: Anyone have a picture(s) of siege towers and/or batteriing rams?

Thanks a lot!

Dylan
Tanotrooper
Gentleman

Re: 2 Questions

Post by Tanotrooper »

well, you have the famous spanish conquistadores, where the rich officers wore threequarter (and maybe even full) armor. You still had soldiers who looked like knights from the middleages. The chest piece of the knight armour goes further into cuirassiers for example in the napoleonic army.

if you want info, go to: www.plasticsoldierreview.com

It has a lot of info.

Gaetano
TT
my brickshelf gallery:
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Tanotrooper[/url]

Please take a look at my TTfigs:
[url]http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... 7&start=15[/url]
Adam
Laborer

Post by Adam »

theres a picture of a tower and a battering ram.. its the best I could find. sorry :/

-Adam
Odysseus
Laborer

Post by Odysseus »

Yes, knights were still knights. And as for armour, it depends on the date(s) you are trying to portray. There is a ton of information on period weapons, armor, and warfare at www.myarmoury.com. Check out the Features section for spotlights on Renaissance armies from 1480-1650. These articles have photos and illustrations that I think you will find quite helpful. I cannot recommend this site enough. MyArmoury also has a lot of photos located in the Albums section that you might find handy. MyArmoury is the best resource of its kind on the internet, IMO. Another site that might be helpful is www.armourarchive.org --a site on armor!

Some images from the myArmoury article on the English armies from Henry VIII to Elizabeth:

Greenwich Armour for Henry VIII c.1540:

Italian armour of 1550, typical of that worn by Enlglish demi-lances:

Google image searches are helpful for pics of various siege engines including siege towers and battering rams.

Good luck and happy reading!

Jonathan

Added: There are also some top-notch reenactors out there who portray Renaissance armies of various centuries. Lord Grey's Retinue portray a 15th century household, and The Guild of Saint Michael portray and Elizabethan Trayned Bande.

Added again: Sorry, here is one more link to a nice gallery at the Arador Armour Library.
Mid Knight
Peasant

Post by Mid Knight »

Thanks guys! Adam, those 2 pictures are AWESOME, I love them! Tanotrooper, at first the site didn't look that good but when I looked at it more it looks like it will be very helpful, not neccessarily for renaissance but medieval outfits, etc. Thanks! Odysseus, thanks for the links! MyArmory has some nice armor pics (if a bit small... oh well) ! :)

BTW I love this pic I found (thanks to Odysseus :) ) http://www.togamario.com/images/siege.jpg

Thanks guys!

Dylan
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

by the rennaisance knights were pretty much obsolete as soldiers. there still were some (though)
pwnage
Odysseus
Laborer

Post by Odysseus »

Oh yeah, you need to register with the site to be able to view the large versions of the pics. Well, it's free to register! Like Classic-Castle and its forum community, myArmoury.com has a respectful atmosphere and is well moderated.

Arador Armour Library has some good photos of Renaissance armor--have you taken a look at that gallery yet?

Jonathan

German Gothic Harness
Mid Knight
Peasant

Post by Mid Knight »

Oh wow this is going to be great! I clicked on Renaissance but it just showed a few small pictures, but I will go make an account now! Thanks a lot!
Odysseus
Laborer

Post by Odysseus »

From Lance to Pistol is an excellent article (with illustrations) that might be of interest to you, especially as it relates to the rise of gunpowder in mounted combat.

Jonathan