NW Brickcon planning

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
Merlin of Lego
Apprentice

NW Brickcon planning

Post by Merlin of Lego »

So I know that we are still a few months away but I need time to plan for any part I take in it. I thik that I saw the lay out for the tables but have not heard any thing since Brickfest. I have an Idea for one of the corners or edges but is will take time to do. I do not have time to take a lead in the planning but would like to help. We could start a email group like Brickfest. If interested PM me and we can at least get the brainstorming ideas going. But also list here if you plan on going so that people know.
Dunechaser
Councilor

Post by Dunechaser »

Yup, I'm in. (I was registrant #8, actually. :D )

I plan on doing some microcastle stuff after I'm done with my current microspace kick, and I can contribute my minifigs, dragons, and other animals to the battle again. Given work and other "real life" constraints, I don't think I'll have time between now and then to build anything more substantial -- but I may change my mind. :wink:
-Andrew B.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunechaser/]Flickr[/url] | [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com/]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

Well, I'm not sure if I can make it or not at this point. It is unfortunately during soccer season and we don't have schedules until late August or something... But it is over my birthday (Oct. 7) so I am trying to get my mom to take me (and Chris) there as a birthday present.

Though I'm not sure if I'm going yet, I would like to be able to know what is happening for if I do get to go. I'll probably start building something for it, so I am prepared.

I really hope that I get to go. Brickfest was a blast and I would like to see you all again. Keep your fingers crossed!

In Christ,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

I wrote to Thomas (Castle Coordinator for NWBC) a while a go. He liked my ideas so I thought I'd run'em up the flag pole here. There are two complimentary ideas: The Grand Tournament and Motorized Jousting.

> I know everybody loves the big battles but
> I was wondering if we could do something different (or in addition to).
>
> I was wondering if we could do a grand tournament. Participants bring a
> pavilion with knight, horse, armour, squire and whatever else they can
> fit on a 16X16 green baseplate. Banners and flags in custom liveries.
> armourers working on equipment, food vendors strolling through.
>
> I was also thinking about our discussion around animating the scenes we
> had @ Brick Fest. If someone could build a jousting arena with
> motorized magnets under a smooth plate somehow we could take turns
> running our knights against each other. Smaller fighting "rings" could
> be set up for dismounted combat and animated as well. We could
> surround the field(s) with galleries and/or simple bleachers filled
> with cheering crowds (animated crowds might also be possible there.)
>
> Basically I am thinking a LEGO version of "A Knight's Tale".
>
> Almost anyone can build one small tent and a knight so small
> collections could be included. We could also have caravans of knights
> and retainers, merchants, spectators etc all travelling the roads to
> attend.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Never too early to plan! I am starting a new job, but should be able to make it.

I like Tom's idea. I don't know how it would work though. Even if we can't get motion integrated somehow, I like an idea of a tournament and all the possibilities.

I had another idea for a separate display. At BrickFest DC '06 I saw a series of Star Wars AT-ATs all build in monochrome. So a completely blue one, red, grey, so forth. Recently I saw the clear version of the 375-6075 Classic Yellow Castle , so last month I had the idea of building a series of those castles in monochrome. I have a completed yellow one, and could do a black one. We would need people to make them in different colors. Now just like the clear version, peices don't exist in all colors, so allowances will be made of course. Can we muster a blue one, grey, dark grey, bley, dark bley, white, red, brown, green, tan? Other colors? Those with larger collections might be able to tackle this in a tan or orange color. What do ya think?
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Remyth
Trade King

Post by Remyth »

An update for me:

My varsity team has a game on the 6th. I do not yet know if I will be able to make it on to that team or not. If I can only get JV, then I am home (or Seattle) free, if my mom will take me. Even if I get onto varsity, the game could be cancelled or they might not need me, or there is a slim chance that I could be injured (hopefully not!) At this pooint it looks like I will be able to if I don't have to go to the game.

Tom's idea sounds great, and Richards sounds cool (I might be able to do one...)

Never too early to plan, and maybe that is better, seeing as how long it took us to set up at Brickfest... Hehe. Yeah, some good ideas floating around. I sure hope that I can make it.

In Christ,
Thomas Wunz <><

Traveler
Reeve

Post by Traveler »

Tedward wrote:I wrote to Thomas (Castle Coordinator for NWBC) a while a go. He liked my ideas so I thought I'd run'em up the flag pole here. There are two complimentary ideas: The Grand Tournament and Motorized Jousting.

> I know everybody loves the big battles but
> I was wondering if we could do something different (or in addition to).
>
> I was wondering if we could do a grand tournament. Participants bring a
> pavilion with knight, horse, armour, squire and whatever else they can
> fit on a 16X16 green baseplate. Banners and flags in custom liveries.
> armourers working on equipment, food vendors strolling through.
>
> I was also thinking about our discussion around animating the scenes we
> had @ Brick Fest. If someone could build a jousting arena with
> motorized magnets under a smooth plate somehow we could take turns
> running our knights against each other. Smaller fighting "rings" could
> be set up for dismounted combat and animated as well. We could
> surround the field(s) with galleries and/or simple bleachers filled
> with cheering crowds (animated crowds might also be possible there.)
>
> Basically I am thinking a LEGO version of "A Knight's Tale".
>
> Almost anyone can build one small tent and a knight so small
> collections could be included. We could also have caravans of knights
> and retainers, merchants, spectators etc all travelling the roads to
> attend.
Well, I was trying to save my 250th post for a MOC, but it's still pretty far from completion and I can't resist commenting here. Believe it or not, I came up with this same idea for having a joust at LEGO castle gatherings. I wasn't quite sure how to do it, because I've never had the good fortune of being at one of these events (nor am I able to attend this upcoming one). However, I thought I'd share the ideas I had regarding a joust setup.

I had thought of using two of these to power the knights who would be mounted on little carts or on treads (I'm not quite sure how this would work yet! :wink: ). Anyway, to make it possible for a knight to be unhorsed, we would put a 1 x 2 brick and a 1 x 2 tile in the horse and put the knight figure in sitting position on top of the horse. Then it's up to the owner of the knight to position his lance and shield so as to unhorse the other knight.

Just my thoughts, I'm not even sure this could work as both knights would probably be unhorsed every time. It's funny that you had this idea too, I guess great minds :idea: think alike!
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

The Blue Knight wrote: I like Tom's idea.
and
Remyth wrote: Tom's idea sounds great...
Not to be too egotistical here :roll: but I, TEDWARD (aka TED) came up with the ideas and sent them to Tom as the coordinator of the Castle display.
Remyth
Trade King

Post by Remyth »

Tedward wrote:Not to be too egotistical here :roll: but I, TEDWARD (aka TED) came up with the ideas and sent them to Tom as the coordinator of the Castle display.
:oops: Oops! I must have misread the post. Sorry about that.

Ok, Tedward's idea sounds great... :wink:

In Christ,
Thomas Wunz <><

The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Oops! Sorry Ted! I was evidently too lazy. I saw the > signs and thought you were quoting Tom. That and Tom and I discussed this at NWBC on '06. Let's see how we can make this work.

BTW Ted & Artisan, what do you think of the monchromie 375/6075 idea? Do you have the bricks/inclination to build one?
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Traveler wrote: I had thought of using two of these to power the knights who would be mounted on little carts or on treads
And (as they say) fools seldom differ. :D

That said I wasn't actually thinking they could unhorse each other or even make contact. That seems like a really cool idea if we could make it work. I just pictured horses running past each other to add some motion to the scene.
Traveler
Reeve

Post by Traveler »

Tedward wrote:
Traveler wrote: I had thought of using two of these to power the knights who would be mounted on little carts or on treads
And (as they say) fools seldom differ. :D

That said I wasn't actually thinking they could unhorse each other or even make contact. That seems like a really cool idea if we could make it work. I just pictured horses running past each other to add some motion to the scene.
It would be cool if each participant brought a custom knight (not necessarily customized in the MCN sense of the word, but more just personalized) and there was an actual tournament, maybe with a small prize. It might bring some extra attention to the castle section of the display. As I said though, I don't really know what these gatherings are like never having been to one, so I don't know if my ideas are worthwhile or not.
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

So, I've pretty much got it all worked out how this could be done, and I've already done a few tests. Does anybody have some of the new chain treads from 8272-1 and can give some impressions of how well they work and how well technic pins stay in the holes? If what I'm thinking works we'll probably need about three of those sets worth, or ~60-100 links. Also, can anybody verify that a train speed regulator will work with any 9v motor, like these ones?

Oh, and I unfortunately can't guarantee that I'll be making it this year. Mostly it depends on my financial situation at the time. So I probably won't be taking the major role in planning that I have in the past, and if I end up showing I'll just bring a bunch of generic Base8 and a lot of pirate stuff (since it's this year's theme and all and also because I love pirates :) )
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by plums_deify »

Sounds good, Brendan. You deserve a break, too, after Brickfest, because that was simply amazing.

With that said, who IS going? If we can identify who will be there now, that can impact what the display will look like.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!
jovian
Peasant

Post by jovian »

Looks like I'll be able to make it. I'm not sure what I'll be able to bring since I'm flying from the east coast, but bringing a knight (or two) with related gear will be possible at the least (plus a good number of skeletons). Hopefully some seige engines and a diorama will be coming with me as well (all in the undead theme). I'm game to help with whatever I can.
"This ground is not the rock I.....thought it to be"
--"flood"--

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jovian_dreams/]Flickr[/url] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Darktide]Brickshelf[/url]