Caution and unity needed for Brickshelf matter

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Interesting idea, my wife actually uses that site (as she is a bit of an artist). It's important to note that it is only as "deviant" as you make it, so don't be scared of the name. I still think it's a better idea to wait & see what our Ambassadors have install for us. I have a feeling that something is brewing...
Felix
Serf

Post by Felix »

DARKspawn wrote:I still think it's a better idea to wait & see what our Ambassadors have install for us. I have a feeling that something is brewing...
My fear is that in the process of planning, everyone will have already found a new online home for their pictures. I have a feeling things are going to be splintered one way or the other. If we can maintain a central location (lugnet), we'll still have access and awareness of what everyone is doing (outside of castle, that is).
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

Felix wrote:My fear is that in the process of planning, everyone will have already found a new online home for their pictures. I have a feeling things are going to be splintered one way or the other. If we can maintain a central location (lugnet), we'll still have access and awareness of what everyone is doing (outside of castle, that is).
I, for one, am optimistic that you guys will come up with something and am waiting to see what it is before I re-upload anywhere. We need a free, central location to replace the one-stop-shop for MOCs that brickshelf was, and I think that the best people to determine what that should be is you community leaders. If you bust out a brand new brickshelf 2.0, I'll upload there. If you rescue the old brickshelf, archaic interface and all, I'll keep uploading there. If you say "MOC pages is the best bet we've got" then I will start an account. I'm pretty sure that once you decide on something and make a widescale post to the major channels that you're the ambassadors and this is your educated opinion then the majority of the community will follow suit. With regard to splintering, it's not like once you upload somewhere you can't upload again somewhere else.
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

BreadMan wrote:I think that the best people to determine what that should be is you community leaders.
Agreed. As much as it irks me to follow rather than lead ;) So the ball's in your court fellas :) Don't forget to keep us informed!
Dunechaser
Councilor

Post by Dunechaser »

DARKspawn wrote:
BreadMan wrote:I think that the best people to determine what that should be is you community leaders.
Agreed. As much as it irks me to follow rather than lead ;) So the ball's in your court fellas :) Don't forget to keep us informed!
This is one Ambassadorial project about which I can unequivocally say that we will be keeping in close communication -- both directions! -- with the broader community. :)
-Andrew B.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunechaser/]Flickr[/url] | [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com/]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Black-Mantra
Gong Farmer

Post by Black-Mantra »

BreadMan wrote:
Felix wrote:My fear is that in the process of planning, everyone will have already found a new online home for their pictures. I have a feeling things are going to be splintered one way or the other. If we can maintain a central location (lugnet), we'll still have access and awareness of what everyone is doing (outside of castle, that is).
I, for one, am optimistic that you guys will come up with something and am waiting to see what it is before I re-upload anywhere. We need a free, central location to replace the one-stop-shop for MOCs that brickshelf was, and I think that the best people to determine what that should be is you community leaders. If you bust out a brand new brickshelf 2.0, I'll upload there. If you rescue the old brickshelf, archaic interface and all, I'll keep uploading there. If you say "MOC pages is the best bet we've got" then I will start an account. I'm pretty sure that once you decide on something and make a widescale post to the major channels that you're the ambassadors and this is your educated opinion then the majority of the community will follow suit. With regard to splintering, it's not like once you upload somewhere you can't upload again somewhere else.
... I like Bread's thinking.
( This isn't Deviant-Art Spam... I'm Just showing you pros and cons.)
deviantArt is Free (unless you buy a subscription for one month three months or one year. even then, it's $3.99 , $7.99 , and about $20.99 , Respectiveley, and the only MAJOR difference I see is the ability to put headers and footers in your Journal, and have Opinion Polls. but other than that, submitting pictures is free)
And, if everyone makes their Deviantart pages their MOC Pages, then everything will essentially be IN ONE PLACE. I also have a Club page (a single account) I'm willing to hand over to the Moderators as well. and seeing as how it's a Big site, with LOTS (a few MILLION) people on it, we may be able to draw in a few more AFoLs.
However, usual precautions must be exercised. There are few (not a lot) of cases of Art-Theft... and some Flamers. but knowing a MAJORITY of the people on DeviantArt... I think people are gonna like us more than hate us. :roll:
Like I said, any Mods interested in said account, 'Lego-Legion', E-Mail or Post me, and I'll hand over the Password, so you may do with the page as you wish. :)
Mantra.
"The Villain can be the Hero of his own story."
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

Is it just me or is Brickshelf back?
http://www.brickshelf.com/
to the ramparts!
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

Patron of the lego wrote:Is it just me or is Brickshelf back?
http://www.brickshelf.com/
Patron, there's a topic on that right here. It's great anyway, though.

~smcginnis
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

Brickshelf LIVES :D
Sir Nelson
Old Wizard

Post by Sir Nelson »

BreadMan wrote:I, for one, am optimistic that you guys will come up with something and am waiting to see what it is before I re-upload anywhere. We need a free, central location to replace the one-stop-shop for MOCs that brickshelf was, and I think that the best people to determine what that should be is you community leaders. If you bust out a brand new brickshelf 2.0, I'll upload there. If you rescue the old brickshelf, archaic interface and all, I'll keep uploading there. If you say "MOC pages is the best bet we've got" then I will start an account. I'm pretty sure that once you decide on something and make a widescale post to the major channels that you're the ambassadors and this is your educated opinion then the majority of the community will follow suit. With regard to splintering, it's not like once you upload somewhere you can't upload again somewhere else.
You have some good ideas there, Brendan. Rest assured that the LEGO Ambassadors are exploring viable venues for image hosting solutions other than Brickshelf.

I do not agree, however, with your assessment that since 'this is your educated opinion then the majority of the community will follow suit". The fans will ultimately decide for themselves what they want, and where they want to place their images. I cannot imagine any site going on indefinitely with free image hosting, but we will see. The community is adapting.

Meantime, thanks for your feedback, and if you have any other ideas/suggestions, please contact an Ambassador or post it on C-C (perhaps in the 'Dear Lego' forum?).
"Old Wizards never die, nor fade away. They just kind of operate behind the scenes and in the shadows... doing all of their weird and wonderful Wizardy things and whatnot."