The Forestmen, Alignment.

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

The Forestmen, Alignment.

Post by LORD DOOM »

One of the great things about our little plastic friends is that who they are, what they do, their stories if they have any is left completely up to us. The content of our Lego© worlds depends entirely upon us. Excluding the Knights Kingdom storyline, which is childish, yet entertaining the other Clastley themes are much more open to imagination.

So my question then, since I've been MOCing a lot lately with my Forestmen(One of my favorite all time themes.) collection is, to you personally, are the Forestmen, good, evil or neutral?

I imagine some people veiw them as bandits or theives, while others veiw them a vigilantes like Robin Hood. (Who's stereotypical likeness they seem to share.)

To me, none of my factions, (save my reanimated demon faction) have any official alignment. I let that depend on individual characters, I like to make my imagined stories a little deeper and complex, revolving around the characters not just the factions.

My Forestmen for the most part are Good, they fight for their rights as humans not to be opressed by other wealthier factions. Some of them may at some times consort with nefarious characters steal and commit other misdeeds but for the most part, they are good, they rarely seek riches beyond what their basic needs and they fight for their own freedom against the tyranny of other ruling factions.

So to me, they're 90% good. 10 Evil.

As a side note, I've always considered my Dark-Foresters a little bit more mischevious and corrupt. But still pretty much in the same boat as the Forestmen.

Okay I'm all done, I'd love to hear some of your guys perceptions of the Foresmen! :D

LEGO© LOVE
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Threads about our own stories of LEGO Factions are more appropriate in the Stories forum. Discussing actual official actions taken by a faction in an idea book, catalog, or club magazine, etc are ok in the LEGO Sets forum.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

architect wrote:Threads about our own stories of LEGO Factions are more appropriate in the Stories forum. Discussing actual official actions taken by a faction in an idea book, catalog, or club magazine, etc are ok in the LEGO Sets forum.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
Oops. Okay Mr. Ben.

I'm so sorry. XD
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

I see the Forestmen as primarily good, although I may just be thrown off by the Classic Smiley face, which makes it difficult to see bad in any faction. They are more like vigilantes who "steal from the rich and give to the poor," and live rather simply. The Wolfpack, although a similar outlaw faction, I see as plunderers and of a darker mindset than the Forestmen.
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

I view the Forestmen as a whole on the side of good, but not too obviously. In my view of them they are oppressed by not the rich, but a dragon of great power. They stay in their forest and watch guard over their spell bound prince who battled a great dragon, ending in both combatants being placed in a magical coma-like state. They wait in hiding, hoping that one day that their prince will awaken to claim his throne among them. Also, I like to think of them as being like Prince Barin's men from Flash Gordon. If I were going the hollywood historical route, then I'd say Errol Flynn Robin Hood all the way.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

I view them as neutral since they are in the middle of two big factions, BF and Lion knights.
skilzz1
Villein

Post by skilzz1 »

I think they are neutral :D
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=skilzz1
my crappy unorganized brickshelf
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

Evilish neutral. I don't care if they steal from the rich and give to the poor, the rich worked hard for they're money and not all of them are evil (I say this not personnaly being rich). Plus, if the wolfpack are good, the forestman can't be because they are always messing with the wolfpack.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

In my case the Forestmen are neutral, because I have too little (a grand total of 6) for them to pose any considerable threat to my bigger factions, the Black Monarchs (roughly 60 soldiers) and the Crusaders (roughly 80 soldiers).
Those factions I don't have many of, I usually have in alliance with the 2 large factions that wage war in my Lego© world, for example the Black Falcons and the Royal Knights are allied with the Crusaders, and the Dragon Masters are allied with the Black Monarchs.
In my case the Forestmen and Wolfpack are the rogues, they're not on anyone's side and just try to survive in a world at war. If I include Forestmen at all in my creations, they're either townfolk minding their own business, or bandits trying to live off of whatever gold they can get their hands on.

I don't usually do much with my Forestmen though, simply because they lack the numbers to be in any way significant.
Maybe I'll make a small Forestmen MOC though, after this thread sparked my interest in them slightly more. :)
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
HeartOfDarkness
Reeve

Post by HeartOfDarkness »

I view them as corteously indifferent, though quick to lash out violently whenever provoked.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

i also see the forstmen as a good faction, because I also see the RobinHood would be on their side, if any. They don't going out starting wars or anything do they?

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Ever since that catalogue image of the vast Forestmen hordes relentlessly storming the isolated Black Knight castle, I've always seen them as a mob of barbarians, out to destroy civilisation in their ignorant quest for treasure. Oh yes, Robin Hood a good guy indeed :P

Here's the image: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=280372

- Matt
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Sir Kohran wrote:Ever since that catalogue image of the vast Forestmen hordes relentlessly storming the isolated Black Knight castle, I've always seen them as a mob of barbarians, out to destroy civilisation in their ignorant quest for treasure. Oh yes, Robin Hood a good guy indeed :P

- Matt
I almost cried when I saw that catalogue image. This is what LEGO is really about.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Sir Kohran wrote:Ever since that catalogue image of the vast Forestmen hordes relentlessly storming the isolated Black Knight castle, I've always seen them as a mob of barbarians, out to destroy civilisation in their ignorant quest for treasure. Oh yes, Robin Hood a good guy indeed :P

- Matt
That is the coolest picture of lego stuff I have ever seen. Wow, great picture.

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

I remember that picture in the 1989 catalogue :) I was 6 at the time, and saw this in the catalogue and this image is one of the ones that really sparked my interest in Castle Lego :)
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]