Lego Sets Destroyed

Discussion of general LEGO topics
INTENSS
Freeman

Lego Sets Destroyed

Post by INTENSS »

So my parents have finally retired to Florida like every other New Yorker. I helped them move down this past week. This move also included the vast majority of my Lego collection from the attic of our now old house in NY to their new house in Florida (my Lego stuff will stay at their place for the immediate future). I knew from the beginning that moving my collection would result in their derstruction.

To minimize loss, I put them in big Rubbermaid bins to prevent pieces from falling out. I filled up 6 large bins and a couple of large boxes for set boxes and assorted crap. I got my first inspection of the damage yesterday. First thing I saw was the King Leo's castle reduced to its baseplate. The Witches' Tower....same fate. Dungeon MAster's Fortress, Monarchs castle, and the rest of the dozen or so castles....resuced to rubble. Quite disturbing. I guess I have alot of work ahead of me.

Just wanted to know if anyone else had similar experiences moving their collection? Good...bad? At least my collection is near me now. :D

-Rich
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I know how you feel, I am moving into a new house in October and I have begun packing up my MOCs. Just from settling, the packing process and moving the storage containers I can see that I will have days of sorting just to separate the parts back into my collection.

None of the castles will be rebuilt. I can already see the destruction inside the tubs :cry:
They are definitly beyond repair.

I may try to document the destruction of the castles for a possible story later on. Hopefully I can set up some backstory for the new castles I am going to make.

My village buildings are a little safer so I am hoping they will be intact enough to create a decent display. My new house will have the room I need to have a permanent display :D

So despite all the work I have ahead of me, I know things are bound to get better. So I guess my experience will be positive in the future, but right now it is a little sad looking over at tubs full of ruined castles. Good luck with your repairs.

WL
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.

Post by Guest »

Did you zip lock bag the smaller stuff/minifigs? I did that to at least keep some things in order. It's pretty much just the castles/shops/structures that were free to swim around the bins. I feel your pain.

I knew things were headed towards disaster when the movers took the first bin and raised it over their heads UPSIDE DOWN!. All I heard was the sound of bricks flying against the inner walls of the rubbermaid bin. The mover turned around and asked if the contents were broken....I said...yea...now they are..but they're easy to fix. I really wanted to say something else, but didn't want my boxes to get shaken in the truck like a yoohoo bottle.

Thank goodness I really didn't have too many MOC's....everything was pretty much just a modified original set. One large Crusader castle was a MOC, but I destroyed it prior to travel. I wanted to do something different with it anyway. It would have been impossobile to transport it anyway. It was on 4x6 big green baseplates with a 2x2 blue baseplate docking area. At least I have pictures to remember some worthwhile details. :)

Good luck with your move wlister. Let us know how it goes. Once I finally get things built (and the progress), I'll be posting pictures. I have some cleaning to do asa well....the attic was prone to water dripping. The Monarch's castle was hit hard from that crap. Does simply washing with water clean the bricks, or do I need soap as well?

-Rich

Post by Guest »

Aw crap..forgot to log in. Ooops... :lol:

-Rich
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

It was only my Castle MOCs that are taking a beating. My village was carefully packed so that all the houses will remain intact. Some of the marketplace has taken a hit as well, but I was planning a rebuild of those to match the MM standard anyway. My minifigs are in a seperate box all ziplocked 25 figs to a bag. there are over 1400 figs in my collection so they warranted special care. The rest of my collection is packed in boxes of smaller organized tubs, so there shouldn't be much work from that end. The 4 castles and the Forestmen hideout were the victims of mass moving destruction. Once the move is complete I will post pictures of the mess I will have to clean up. Good luck with your rebuilding. You may need a gentle soap to clean your bricks if there is a lot of sediment etc... left over from the water leaks. If they just have water spots, use warm water and that should do the trick.
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
INTENSS
Freeman

Post by INTENSS »

Sounds like my scenario. :D

1,400 minifigs?!? Megablocks...I thought I had alot. I'll have to do a count but it's probably only in the neighborhood of about 700.

MY rebuilding/cleaning process has already begun..thanks for the tip!

-Rich